News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canardly Fly .  (Read 242751 times)

Offline Igor Burger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Canardly Fly .
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 01:19:43 AM »
and what about fixed elevator stunter? ... if classic (elevator back) design has flaps down and elevator up ... and canard (elevator front) has flaps down and elevator also down, then "something between" (some kind of tandem, or oversized tail design) must fly well with fixed elevator ... right?? :- ))) 

... so who comes first with elevator-less stunter???

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
and what about fixed elevator stunter? ... if classic (elevator back) design has flaps down and elevator up ... and canard (elevator front) has flaps down and elevator also down, then "something between" (some kind of tandem, or oversized tail design) must fly well with fixed elevator ... right?? :- )))  

... so who comes first with elevator-less stunter???

They made something like that in the late 40's/early 50's, flap-only. My dad said it was not a good performer. The Adamisins had a tandem at one point, they can expand on the performance.

I think you should take up the challenge, start now, and work on it through the WC. It has to have gotten boring winning everything by now, right? Stunt has gotten too easy, need a new project.

Brett
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:20:12 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
   I think you should take up the challenge, start now, and work on it through the WC. It has to have gotten boring winning everything by now, right? Stunt has gotten too easy, need a new project.

But Brett -- what will the rest of us do if he wins WC '16 with a canard, or a Fierce Arrow?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
Do not worry Brett, I am on good way, my Max has tail enlarged to 30% of wing and movable elevator has only 1/3 of that area ... sooner or later ...  ;D

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
But Brett -- what will the rest of us do if he wins WC '16 with a canard, or a Fierce Arrow?

If he wins with a Fierce Arrow, I will petition the Pope for his sainthood.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
Do not worry Brett, I am on good way, my Max has tail enlarged to 30% of wing and movable elevator has only 1/3 of that area ... sooner or later ...  ;D

A canard with the canard only 3.33x the size of the wing?

On the 30% 66/33 tail - way ahead of you on that one, but I have good reason to think that will work. If you get the tail airfoil right.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »
Aerodynamics aside would not a mid engine Canard have some inertial advantage?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
Aerodynamics aside would not a mid engine Canard have some inertial advantage?

If it was advantageous to minimize moment of inertia, yes.  I think Igor feels that having a long nose on a conventional plane adds more aerodynamic mojo than it subtracts inertial mojo -- that's well above my pay grade, however.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »
I liked the article in the new issue of MA on an RC Curtiss XP-55 test bed.  Other than getting the initial CG too far back after that was fixed it flew fine.  I think that means it should be possible to design a perfectly flyable canard stunter.  We've spent 50 years perfecting the current layout and maybe 2% of that working with canard designs.  Although it's been tried and works, like any airplane, it takes fine tuning the parameters to do the exact job you want.  And it is quite possible that a canard configuration can't be tuned to fly competition stunt.  But the proliferation of canards on Gen IV and GenV fighters makes one think that they may improve maneuverability(whatever that means).

Phil C
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here