News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric foils  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Electric foils
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »
I've seen mention on here that there might be call for thinning out wings of electric models over their glow counterparts.

Can anyone give me details on why that would be, and where I should start looking for an appropriate airfoil?

I notice that NACA 0018 gets kicked around on here reguarly, Is that a NACA 0018, with a flap attached to the back? Confused!

What happened to the days of picking a chord and thickness and matching them with the sole of your shoe?!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electric foils
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
I've seen mention on here that there might be call for thinning out wings of electric models over their glow counterparts.

Can anyone give me details on why that would be...?

No doubt someone will, but I doubt if he can.

...where I should start looking for an appropriate airfoil?

The obvious place is on the airplane of the World Champion. He wrote an article in Stunt News on the science behind it.  I use an Impact airfoil, the same one as for the IC version.  It works fine, too.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
Black bugs.

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
It would not be practical to inset a flap into NACA0018.  Plot the foil, then measure 2 or 2 1/4" in from trailing edge..... BEHOLD the flap must be about 3/4" thick.  Totally impractical!

This is my favorite section.  Plot and then adjust the rear a little bit to be 3/8" Now, make 3/8" flaps in your usual construction.  I know, what you  end up with isn't exactly according to Hoyle, but the front part of the foil is the most important, anyway.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
Yep, leave it to me to come up with stupid questions.

That said, weren't the Adamisins doing complete foil wings? I.e. big fat flaps that match the wing?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
I thought it was a good question.
The Jive Combat Team

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »
Yes.  That same question, or similar, comes up often.  Reminds me of the ongoing discussion --

"whether to include flaps in airfoil "percent thickness"

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
You'd include them.  Trouble is, there are enough folks using the other convention that you gotta ask each time. 

This comes from the misconception that flaps are independent surfaces superposed on wings.  It's kinda a subtle point.  Lots of physical things are linear and effects can be superposed. Aerodynamic stuff generally isn't, and assuming that it is can mess you up.  Other examples of popular stunt superposition fallacies are trim tabs countering wing warps and the effect of side wind relative to airspeed. 
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
You'd include them.  Trouble is, there are enough folks using the other convention that you gotta ask each time.

Well, it not simply that other people have other conventions, it's also that some of them demand you use their unconventional convention, and then become incensed and call you names when you don't go along with it.

I agree that the GP was a very good question but I didn't expect much of an answer. I am intrigued about the possibility that IC engine vibration was helping us, and what if anything you need to do about it for electric other than attaching random debris and/or detritus to the surface.

I know of an individual who may well be grinding the motor mounts out of his airplane even as we speak, which seems like a good experiment.

Brett

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
It would not be practical to inset a flap into NACA0018.  Plot the foil, then measure 2 or 2 1/4" in from trailing edge..... BEHOLD the flap must be about 3/4" thick.  Totally impractical!

Floyd
Hi Floyd

As someone mentioned, my nephew & I took the full airfoil/falp approach way back when. below I posted the view as shown on my Eclipse airticle from way back.  I would stop short of calling it totally impractical - they actually worked quite well.  In another thread on flaps, Brett posted some really good insights about the implications of the thick hingeline - and how the added hinge seals all worked together.

Now here's a question you don't see often: what's the best reason for flaps - added lift or added drag?  I think the answer is mostly the first but do not discount the second effect.  When deflected I suspect that the thick flaps separate flow at the hingeline and get draggy while providing a boost in lift - kind of like a split flap would.  I like low drag designs, but there is a place for drag too, especially when you can turn if on/off.

The Eclipse used a NACA 0018 root with a modified NACA 0021 tip - modified by moving the highpoint forward from 30% to 25%.  Worked fine.  When I built my first purely electric design I thinned the foil to about 16% constant, and modified the aft part of the airfoil to taper into a 5/16" flap.  This design uses much less power than other similar sized airplanes, and performs very well in the wind - because it penetrates so well.

However as recent contest results have shown, IC derived thick airfoils work just fine with electrons too.

I plan on sticking to "thinnish" airfoils, however anything below about 15% runs the risk of losing structural stiffness - I am not a fan of flexible flyers!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
Wow, look at all those bends in the flap pushrod! I notice you were using the strip aileron linkages on that too, was that to give you differential flap?

Was it worth it?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Greg,
The subject of full airfoil with flap has come up before, the short answer is that it looks better then it works. Most of the people that tried it feel it wasn't as good as a plain old Noble style airfoil with trailing edge flap. Do a search on Al Rabe and you will find the test he did on airfoils. He at first thought this was going to be the best airfoil ever. After he tested it on his makeshift car mounted test rig he said it was a very big disappointment and the standard layout produced more lift for a given deflection with less drag.

The basic idea behind using thinner airfoils on electric was because the "motor" reacts very fast to increase loads to continue to pull the ship through maneuvers and maintain speed. This keeps the lift up and thus you can get away with a little less thickness. Also for going down hill the motor holds (brakes) quicker and again regulates speed so you don't need the added drag of the thick foil to hold the speed down.

Best,     DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
Greg,
The subject of full airfoil with flap has come up before, the short answer is that it looks better then it works. Most of the people that tried it feel it wasn't as good as a plain old Noble style airfoil with trailing edge flap. Do a search on Al Rabe and you will find the test he did on airfoils. He at first thought this was going to be the best airfoil ever. After he tested it on his makeshift car mounted test rig he said it was a very big disappointment and the standard layout produced more lift for a given deflection with less drag.

The basic idea behind using thinner airfoils on electric was because the "motor" reacts very fast to increase loads to continue to pull the ship through maneuvers and maintain speed. This keeps the lift up and thus you can get away with a little less thickness. Also for going down hill the motor holds (brakes) quicker and again regulates speed so you don't need the added drag of the thick foil to hold the speed down.

Exactly. Same thing with piped engines, we started out treating them like better ST60s but to be it is clear that the speed regulation properties of the engine/prop can take care of it if you know what you are doing.

Brett

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
It would not be practical to inset a flap into NACA0018.  Plot the foil, then measure 2 or 2 1/4" in from trailing edge..... BEHOLD the flap must be about 3/4" thick.  Totally impractical!
Floyd

Just returning from the Lugo/Italy contest where young Marco Valliera won in a very convincing manner flying his electrified shark both in high wind and dead calm hot weather. Here is the Shark wing root...

Peter Germann
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:25:47 AM by Peter Germann »
Peter Germann

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
Peter,
I have heard that the Shark wing flaps are hinged in a way that allows the flap leading edge to slightly protrude above the trailing edge of the wing as it deflects. This is suppose to add effectiveness. Any chance you could show a shot looking down on the wing to show the hinge position and maybe a side shot with the flap fully deflected?

Best,          DennisT

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:19 AM »
Peter,
I have heard that the Shark wing flaps are hinged in a way that allows the flap leading edge to slightly protrude above the trailing edge of the wing as it deflects. This is suppose to add effectiveness. Any chance you could show a shot looking down on the wing to show the hinge position and maybe a side shot with the flap fully deflected?
Best,          DennisT
Hi, Dennis
I took the picture from one of Lauri Malila's Sharks wich I have since returned to him. As we will meet at the upcoming swiss nats next weekend,  I will ask him to publish pictures as per your request.
However, from what I remember the hinge turning point is at the very center of the flap's leading edge radius which means that it does not protrude when deflecting. The particular airplane I've examined deflects the flaps by approx. 30° when the elevator is up or down approx. 45°
Peter Germann

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »
Hi.

If the flap l.e. protrudes above wing t.e. when deflected has not importance, actually in Shark it's a small geometry mistake; the flap thickness also goes down elliptically towards the tip and this makes it not possible to have a perfect hinge gap. A better flap cross section (seen from front) would be a trapez shape, a straight taper.
 BUT they, especially Yura, play with the hinge pivot point location in flap l.e. Normally the pivot point is slightly forward of the center of flap l.e. radius so that the hinge gap closes when flap is deflected. It gives an similar logarithmic effect than what Igor makes with that weird flaphorn mechanism.

Lauri

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »
Black bugs.

They aren't real, Dennis, and they'll go away along with the purple kangaroos. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
How'd you find out about the kangaroos?

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:07 AM »

Right, several guys here got idea to save power and energy with thinner airfoil. Yes, it is true, thinner airfoil has lower drag, but that thinking has one small hole in logic: thinner airfoil also make less lift (maximal lift coefficiet), it means wing must be larger for the same weight and since the drag formula has also wing area as a parameter, the drag of larger wing will be aproximately same  >:D

but there is also another reason for thicker airfoil, thicker airfoil has more drag in level flight then thinner one, but thinner will go to larger grags in maneuvers (partial stalling) so thicker one can keep better speed stability in corners and that is what counts in figures.

the same is with airfoiled flaps, such an airfoil has low drag in level flight, but it slows in corners, it is well visible, I can tell from 100 meters if the model has NACA type  airfoiled airfoil or my with thinn hingeline.

if you ask which is better in real world, it is hard to say, because some people need corner done like with knife in butter, and some simply need that stopping in corners

Offline Valentin Apostolov

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
http://www.clacro.de/Seite_stunt.htm

This one also may be found useful on the discussed subject

Valentin Apostolow

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
Nice presentation, but the theory raises one's eyebrows here and there. 
The Jive Combat Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here