News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C 130 Hercules project  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Jim Liddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
C 130 Hercules project
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
I am looking for some advice on my new project. I found the plans for my project online and started building before I had all the details figured out. The plans are from 1956
I am sure the are others who are familiar this plane but, I have not been able to find any info about someone building or flying this plane.
 Having a plane with four engines sounded like fun until I started thinking about the details of flying a control line plane with four engines.
I am really in this too far now to not finish this and try to make it work. So I will start with a few concerns I have about this. The plans call for VECO .19 engines which still can be bought but I am not sure if it that would the best choice or not or maybe even .15 size engine would work fine. I don"t want it to be a struggle to hold on to  nor do I want it to be under powered.
So I could use some advice on the engine setup. I have seen some videos online of guys flying four engine planes and were being pulled all over the circle. I also saw Paul Walker fly his B17 at either the 2001 or 2002 nats and if he was having a hard time hanging on it did not show.
I am about ready to start on the wing so engine choice will need to be made in the near future.
Also if anyone has any info on this plane or any experince with one I could use some help with that also.
Thanks Jim

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: C 130 Hercules project
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
Jim, You might want to check with Tim Wescott about his (TUT) timer that can help control the engines.  There is some info here on the forum is you do a search.  Good luck.
AMA 34849

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
This is the perfect place for electric motors. Gets rid of all the multi fuel motor problems.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
So I could use some advice on the engine setup. I have seen some videos online of guys flying four engine planes and were being pulled all over the circle. I also saw Paul Walker fly his B17 at either the 2001 or 2002 nats and if he was having a hard time hanging on it did not show.

As one of the few people to fly the B-17, I can assure you that the line tension was pretty darn heavy, and the control loads were remarkable. I flew it in the dead calm and it was near my limit. I could have done 4 flights a day, maybe, with some conditioning, but it was *very stout*. Paul worked out regularly until he could manage proper posture and body positioning to be competitive, but it was at least double the normal stunt plane.

It may have been far less than some of the scale models because the scale models tend to be built like bricks, they seem to be in love with plywood. Paul's airplane was built by a master and it was dramatically lighter (at 100ish ounces) than most scale models, and, it was balanced with a relatively aft CG.

Of the two issues, the control loads were probably more daunting than the line tension itself. I have no doubt it would turn plenty hard enough *if* you had enough forearm. I think you have to consider some assistance, like Howard's boost tab/servo tabs. Solve that, keep the weight in bounds to control the tension and speed, and I think you have it. Even if the plan is just to fly scale and not aerobatics, build it like a stunt plane from the 70s - weight control.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
The B-17 had OS .15FPs.  You might consider something smaller.  Those engines really add up. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
The B-17 had OS .15FPs.  You might consider something smaller.  Those engines really add up. 

What was the wing area on Paul's B-17? Also, less fuel, what did it weigh RTF?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
What was the wing area on Paul's B-17? Also, less fuel, what did it weigh RTF?

Something a little over 100 ounces, as I recall.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
Hi Jim,

I have those plans, also.  The Veco .19 engines used were the plain bearing engines, not the ball bearing version available today.  The OS .15FP is easily an equivalent to the old plain bearing Veco .19.  Unfortunately I do not know of engines available smaller than the .15 until you get down to the .10 size.  4 OS .10 FPs might fly the C-130.  Hard to say.  I would use OS .15FPs or LAs and use a throttle system.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »
I will not build a multi-engine model until I have 150% proven engines in hand.  That is to say, three for a 2-engine model, six for a 4-engine model.  The last thing I want is a big airplane and a shortage of engines.

I'm about to start assembly of a Brodak B-25.  I will have four PROVEN good engines in hand before I start.
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
Theres a Dave Brown here who knocked up a few pieces of foam in five minutes to make a grummanish Flying Boat ( R. C . ) for two OS .20s .

The Point is , it was LIGHT - No Finish - a bit of five minute epoxy and that was it .

Whadeva ya use , newish ( virgin ) ones shouldnt be stuffed & unreliable / inconsistant .

Veco 19 B.B.s like 10 % nitro . though go better on 15 or 20 % . The Bored Intakes are good on 20 % . Std. small on 10 % . 9x4s or 8x6s .

The TOURQUE is more important than the H.P. ,

Ive got a box of Fox 19 / 25s if thats your ticket . Using OS 15 , 20 & 25 maxes now. Usually fine on no nitro - in summer .

The Little .15s are very light . it all adds up with four . About 4 Oz Ea, unmuffled . Quite Powerfull & will live with 9 x 4s .

Think the WEIGHT is the Vicious Circle with something like this. Hence the Intro . If you havre a foam cutter , you could knock up a test ship
in no time, though a wing spar might stop things parting company up there .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
I'd suggest modifying the C-130 into an AC-130, setup to strafe the judges...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »
 ;D  Hey Jim!!  Man, "Have No Fear"!!  ;D Go 'fer it!  ;D  Build it!!  I did!!  It "tickled my fancy" so I did this one and it's using OS 25's that I acquired from some friends, Ebay and parts from a fellow on this site.  Man, it sounds awesome when they're synced and running!!  Someday  :-\ :-\ .... I'll get the courage ta' fly it   %^@  LL~ LL~

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
There is a local RC'er around here who had a very good C-130 with 21's. 
The problem with the C-130 is that the GM Allison turboshaft engines were so powerful that the engine pods were small.  So it's hard to make a small scale C-130 and get the engines inside.  Planes like the B-17 and B-25 had bigger cowls that had room for bigger model engines.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here