News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building a slightly modified Sig Fazer  (Read 1697 times)

Teodorico Terry

• Trade Count: (0)
Building a slightly modified Sig Fazer
« on: January 20, 2020, 03:43:58 PM »
Hello,

After taking a 25 year break to fly R/C (mostly AMA pattern in the past 10 years) I have decided to get back into control line flying once again.  The last time I moved I ended up giving away a couple of control line planes, a Sig Magnum kit and the one thing that I miss the most, the handle that I purchased from Windy.  Probably not the best decision I've made.  At any rate, our R/C field recently added a C/L field so there has been a renewed interest in C/L flying since then:  I have decided to join them in the fun.

For grins, I decided to take a slightly different approach and settled on a Sig Fazer which I have modified slightly:  I stretched the tail moment by about 3", new stab, elevator, fin and rudder as well as a different profile for the fuselage.  I also modified the wing by making the inboard panel about 1" longer although I think that I will use flaps of equal span.  I changed the shape of the fuse mostly to give the model more side area, do not know if it will make it a better flyer about 45 degrees but I will soon find out.  For power, I will going electric as I went sober back in 2007 (i.e. gave up methanol, everything I fly is electric, even the 11 lb pattern plane).

My expectation is that the plane will come in at 48oz or so and fly on a 4S power system.  I have a Hacker A30/10XL which I am thinking about using but might go a different route.  Right now I am hoping to be able to use a 11" or 12" prop and pick the pitch based on the desired speed (52 mph or so).  Interesting, for the lower pitch props it appears that APC does not have much to pick from so I might go with a Xoar prop (they are nice, light and work well).

I have enclosed a couple of photos of the plane in the bare bones; I still have a little ways to go.  I am open to suggestions regarding the changes I've made, I am hoping to end up with a semi-decent stunter.  If not, I will have to go the ARF route otherwise I will not get much flying in this summer.

Teo

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Building a slightly modified Sig Fazer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
I haven't went electric yet, but your modifications should do the trick.  I like the lines of the profile fuse.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the comment about the fuse.  I basically added some 1/2 balsa to the forward section of the fuse and cut it to a shape which I though looked nice.  In retrospect, for this airplane, the nose is a little short to make for a simple electric conversion.  The problem is that I did not realize that until it was too late.  Converting it to glow would require significant surgery as I left out the engine bearers.  Either way, I will have fun trying to figure it out.

Thanks,

Teo

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
There are electric conversion mounts that could be cut into the front mount area to extend the nose, albeit with some change in shape.  the link below can give ideas, or you can d-i-y.  they give a great battery and motor mount.

https://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/conversion-kits/universal-e-electric-conversion-for-profile-fuselages-front-mounted-motors.html

Fred

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
Hmmm.  Might consider one.  In its current iteration, the back plate for the motor mount would fit within the cut out in the forward fuselage and then I would extend the upper and lower pieces to match the placement of the spinner.  The biggest concern is simple the distance between the wing's leading edge and the back side of the motor mount.  I will have to measure it tonight.  It might be right around 6.5".  We will see.

Thanks for the tip,

Teo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:39:53 PM by Teodorico Terry »

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »
Hi Teo,
I’ve built a total of there of them, all were different.  I still have the first one mostly stock, 2nd version had smaller flaps from 1/4” sheet, 2-5/8” at root and 1-3/4” at tip equal length flaps (flew better than the first version).  3rd version, same as the second version with larger Stab & elevators (22%) of the wing area.  Mine were powered with an OS FP 40 11 X 4 prop and were in the 50 ounce range.  For the most part flew pretty good but they needed the changes to fly really good.  #3 was the best of all of them but it was fun to build an fly.
Good luck and have fun,
Mike Pratt

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the info.  My version of the airplane is roughly in line with what you did for the your 3rd variant.  We have been busy painting the interior of the house so I have not had time to touch the model.

Thanks,

Teo

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »
Mike,

Quick question which I forgot to ask on the previous post.   What line length would you suggest for this model?  I was thinking that it would be in the 62-65 ft range of 0.015.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Teo

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
Hi Teo,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I just ran across this.  Line length on mine were 62’ C to C.  Also the nose length was stock length.  I haven't built an electric power Fazer but if I did, I would lengthen the nose to make sure it room for the battery and use a front mount.  Sounds like a fun project, show us photos when you get it done.

Mike Pratt

Advertise Here
Tags: sig fazer 

Advertise Here