News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRAIN STORMING CONCEPTS...(Dave Gierke's beautiful Northern Eagle  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"

How seeing just how beautiful Mike Haverly's beautiful new swept wing Classical FREEDOM flew the pattern last week end at the Narrows proved again that conservative sweep seems to have little adverse effects.
While my life long aerodynamic engineering friend Gary Letsinger and I watched Mike carve out that beautiful pattern last Sat. at the Narrow with his new swept winged FREEDOM...I GOTTA SAY REALLY MADE AN IMPRESSION on both of us.
Not unlike Peeing into the wind....Memories flooded back to my demented mind the article that Dave Gierke published in the 1973 issue of Flying Models.... His swept wing  NORTHERN EAGLE.
I couldn't  stop thinking about Mikes beautiful model and how beautiful and unique that swept wing of his FREEDOM looked in flight.
After returning home I couldn't help myself...

I pulled down my musty old magazines and found this article by Gierke quite interesting reading again. I couldn't put it down.

Although Dave Gierke never flew this beautiful R/C CLPA CROSS OVER EXOTIC MACHINE himself (humm? Dave Gierke, a NEWBEE?) LL~ never flew this beautiful concept R/C art due in part because Bernie Paul of Ass.Hobby Mfg. made Dave "an offer in $$$$ he couldn't refuse" at that years BIG TOLEDO SHOW.
 Also sealing the deal was the gifted R/C pattern master flyer Ralph Perillo proved to everyone that this Eagle flew exceptional well in the HIGH WINDS...at the Toledo flight demos.

I scanned the magazine plan form...and doodled some BRAINLESS-STORMIN' session thoughts over the top in red.
Again, as usual and true to form, Dave's article also has some really great finishing tips.
By chance..this same magazine has Dick Mathis's Excalibur 2 profile model with also some interesting reading.
Check out this attached doodle and scan of Gierkes...TOLEDO DREAM CROSS OVER MACHINE.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: BRAIN STORMING CONCEPTS...(Dave Gierke's beautiful Northern Eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
attached is a quick scan of Dick Mathis Excaliber 2 profiler..that is also a good read in that same Flying Models 73 issue.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
Does that Northern Eagle have a laminar flow air foil??? Would that work in CLPA??  D>K

Which reminds me...Gary Letsinger last week end...razzed n' jazzed Mike about the aerodynamic principles and historical aspects  of highly swept wings in full sized aircraft? LL~

However....after folks see just how precisely Mikes new FREEDOM flies...sure-Shirley' gonna makes some eye balls pop...especially when they see how BEAUTIFUL that unique model looks in flight.
Don Shultz

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
What is the difference between Dick Mathis Excaliber 2 profiler and the Classic legal Excaliber I??   HB~>
Many thanks in advance!   #^

"Tight lines!"
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
Basically, it's the wing that's different. It's a different, thicker airfoil with a sheeted leading edge. Strange to me as the original is a very potent triple threat design as it is. I don't believe there's any real advantage to going with the later, none classic legal later version.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »
Don,

It has a swept wing Crossfire look don't you think???

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »
Don Hutchinson's swept-wing F-86 flew great.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »
Bob's beautiful CrossFire is a real beaut....James!
Howard...I tried to find Hutch's F-86....but couldn't locate it....seems like I saw it on VSC last years gallery of photos?

For this year...I am really impressed the way Mike Harverly's new Freedom is flying and Mike is lookin reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally good at the handle too.
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:50:10 PM »
Northern Eagle, awesome Donaldo!!! Thanks for the reminder on the model and the magazine in which it was published. I think it'll be a great Pattern design that needs to be built and flown. I think I will, and try to paint, detail and finish it just like Dave did (yeah, right!).
Chris...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »
Donaldo...FWIW...The Freedom 45 is flying better  8) now, thanks to "RJ" Bob Whitely's trimming magic! See it in a "coupla weak weeks"...   S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:45 AM »
That Whitely has such possessed hands. Also has had some really outstandingly beautiful models...that fly as great as the look.
Just got an E mail from Parker....telling me that he heard some pretty funny stories about my NARROWS FRIGHT FLIGHT TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET VD~ VD~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here