News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bolting the engine to those maple bearers...what's the best method???  (Read 1472 times)

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Some folks like to put threaded brass inserts flush (actually leaving them a little "proud", then sand them flush) to the engine side of the bearers, thus letting the engine lugs sit direct on the brass. That way, the wood isn't compressed, which is true enough. But does it absorb the vibes as well?

I'm more inclined to put the threaded brass inserts (better yet, Keen-Serts) on the far side of the bearers from the engine, but face the bearers with aluminum (or epoxyboard, phenolic, etc) pads at least 1/8" thick and at least double the length of the engine's mounting lugs.  Idea is to spread the load, and thus not compress the wood, yet make the bolts stay tight and under tension via the natural "give" in the wood.

Which notion is better?  Let the arguments begin...but be nice! S?P H^^ Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bolting the engine to those maple bearers...what's the best method???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
For nearly 20 years, all my planes have been set up like your first example. No problems, and no need, in my mind to complicate the mounting issue. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
I've done it both ways without issue. Putting the engine on pads seems easier to me, though. Keep in mind I don't have experience with 60 sized stuff, but done a bunch of 40's.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
Hope this does not sound like a dumb question, but what are the advantages of the brass inserts over other methods such as the blind nuts?

Tx.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I have used both brass inserts and blind nuts on the far side of bearer with 3/32 or 1/8 phenolec pads under engine lugs.  Either one works good, but for me the blind nuts are easier to install.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Good blind nuts are ok by me. Nice thing about them is that they don't reduce the x-section of the wood very significantly. Some of the brass inserts do...a bad thing.

I have seen a few folks "inlay" an aluminum pad into the beams, creating stress points. And I've seen a few folk notch their beams to give room to shim the tank upwards, also creating stress points. I don't think either is a good plot.  Giving shimming room is a valid reason to use plates under the engine lugs (two reasons, total), although simply moving the internal end of the uniflow vent  will do the same thing. 

One small detail about brass inserts never mentioned....if you're setting an aluminum casting on brass, and connecting them with steel bolts...that's all a no-no in some industries. I don't know if it would be different than just connecting the aluminum and brass via a steel bolt. Anybody seen signs of galvanic reaction?  Or is the typical coating of castor oil saving our bacon as usual?    ??? Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
To my mind if the engine is prone to crushing the bearer then the mounting lug's area is too small, but there is not much that can be done about the engines design itself.
(Just take a look at PAW's engine lugs, nice and long and never a need for extra padding or inserts!)

I personally don't like the look of inserts as I want as much hardwood in that local area as possible and much prefer engine pads to spread the love where necessary.

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »

Which notion is better?  Let the arguments begin...but be nice! S?P H^^ Steve   

I don't care for the inserts at all. The hole you have to drill for them takes away most of the engine bearer material.

I use through 4-40 screws and blind nuts. I have a 3/32 x 1/8 x ~2.5" thick 2024 aluminum pad that is glued to the bottom surface of the mount and drill through that to mount the engine. It's not inset into the wood, it just lays on top (once again, to avoid removing any more material than necessary from the mounts). 

Ted uses 6-32 screws which locate the engine a lot better than the 4-40s (since they fill up the holes in the engine) but I would rather use the smaller screws to make a smaller hole through the mount. Ted actually had one of the screws break somehow, and it was at least possible to use an extractor to remove it. We had driven up to Napa during the week to test fly the new airplane (~90 miles), and the screw was broken when we got there. It was a very grim ride home.

Rather than blind nuts, I would rather use a tapped nut plate. But I can't figure a good way to fair the spinner in without hitting it.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »
Hope this does not sound like a dumb question, but what are the advantages of the brass inserts over other methods such as the blind nuts?

Tx.

Mike
If you tourque down blind nuts to 5.000 Ft Lbs youll end up with 1/2 x 1/8 bearers  %^@ or theyll get all pulleed outta shape.

Brass or Whatever INSERTS , IF right through , remove the CRUSHING load of the tension in the bolts .From the Bearers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As in the inserts are bottomed against the Lugs or pads. If done right.
Putting tube in oversize holes throught to the T nuts could work.If Tarzan does'nt tighten the bolts.

Pads are larger than Lugs, so at the same tension the Lbs / Sq. In. are less.

Cunning Swine even select there BEARERS for excellent grain, and hardness.
Hart timber (from the core of the tree) and sap timber (from outer reqions of trunk)
are considerably differant densities. As are trees from differant spots. on hills.
Shade watering etc etc.
Dense bearers are ordinarilly heavier , so we can see why some people drill lightening holes along them.

Though in the old days some people with motorcycles just had too much time on there hands, and a drill press.
Hence the term ' Swiss Cheese ' used to describe the results of their endevours.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:08:28 AM »
I have seen here in Australia a Firecracker with the bearer itself threaded and tapped through and a counter sunk head bolt fixed down in place.
Epoxied in, that setup with alloy plates against the engine is fairly bullet proof but it assumes that the wood is very hard in the first place.

It is the strongest system that I have seen but it also places the bolt as a fixture, having the nuts as movable and I believe that bolts themselves are prone to wear.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
Regarding Chris' example above, would anybody be concerned with the wedging action of the flathead screws 82 degree angle splitting the bearers? I would not be (because the hardwood beams are tapped), but the thought did come up. I would definitely prefer to use a hex wrench in a socket headed cap screw to messing about with a nut driver in cramped quarters.  It appears that there are several solutions that work fine, but there are some theoretical "issues" with each that need to be decided upon.  :-\ Steve
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:40:49 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
Regarding Chris' example above, would anybody be concerned with the wedging action of the flathead screws 82 degree angle splitting the bearers? I would not be (because the hardwood beams are tapped), but the thought did come up. I would definitely prefer to use a hex wrench in a socket headed cap screw to messing about with a nut driver in cramped quarters.  It appears that there are several solutions that work fine, but there are some theoretical "issues" with each than need to be decided upon.  :-\ Steve

Hi Steve,
Brian Eather in conversation many years ago told me that his counter sunk heads did not split the wood but actually pulled through the bearer after much use (all systems will fail eventually) - I kinda translated this to mean they 'vibrated' through and he used very, very hard wood gained from old public school floor boards and epoxy.

The advantage pointed out to me by Brian (and touched upon by Brett) is that if the engine crutch is dead flat on its back, as there is no protruding hard wear ruining the flat build line, then its very easy to set your thrust line on the bench and fair in the nose blocks.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
I cut my own engine bearers from rock hard maple.  Oversize, usually 5/8 X 5/8.-  Behind the firewall, I taper them back to `1/8" at the 10" or 11" mark.  Saves weight, but provides plenty of meat at the engine.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here