News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cape Town MEWGULL .  (Read 40213 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Cape Town MEWGULL .
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
The Usual two layers of 2 Oz. cloth . Actually there two side & one  front or two , so theres overlaps . Layed up in the plaster mould .
A strip of cardboard pva'd on the top of the front mould gets the rebate for the rear to overlay flush . Plaster will scrape / sand off . After theyve hardened up a few days .

Still undecided on finish . Could get it silver at a few Oz. penalty overall . Tho just Tissue & dope on these ( fairings) would match the rest .
plus $ 40 for can of quality U pol silver . %^@ , though it'd show off the lines- a sanded thin under the outer tip shows the ribs - Which'd look HORRIBLE silver  . So Clear's the Go .  :P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »
No Problem with the Wheel Pants , only 10.864 attepts . So Far .

Reversed the upper saddle to clear the rear  fairing / so it drops lower . So cut of upper on wing so I dont incinerate the sod .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
Expect another 10 pages on these , before I get them finished . >:(

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

Gave up at 7 am after doing a C.S.C. muffler copy , two tanks , and . . . a few other things , and hit the sack . Had thought Id fly it Saturday . Got clear cote on ,
Eastwood paints diamond clear ( pitcher of a wheel on it ) seems nitro proof and clear gloss . Belting the slightly to wide tank into the nose of the MC72 wasnt a good idea .
Not to deranged from it , surprised I could hook it out , with a alen key twisted under it , using the vice grips . So a narrower tank ( 48  mm ) for that , & maybe one for the s6 ,
and off to the wide open spaces next weekend . Canopy to fix and cowl fixing to make , likely a dog leg ( z bend )wire lever trap , fwd to release , scewed to bulkhead ,
traps ply duct floor ( roof ) .

Looks likeitllbe 60 Oz.  :( Still , probly help it in gusts & should carry it o.k. Id hoped for 55 , to get right inside of things in the turns ( corners ) .

H^^

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:56:59 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2016, 10:20:07 PM »
Well , She's ' flewed ' . Threw it up , once , up Musswellbrook .

think the Fuel ( methanols ) off , as none of three needled right , and prviously in the twin it wasnt needling well . 4/4 might mean something .
IF I could get some , for this weekend ! ?

ANYWAY , seemed o.k. so threw into reverse wingover , did in & out loops and a few appaling squares , dryed of and cut , after trying to get it to.

Id meant to use the full line spacing at handle 7&throw a Oz. of lead under the tailplane , beforehand . Tank Full c.g.'d be on the L.E.
Wheels are to rear for grass , but we knew that . Had in the bigger intake , now fitted the smaller ( no Muf Pres . ) & in the MC 72 ,
before I figured the fuel might be shot .

Sat out well on 65 ft .018 laystrate , so will go to 70 ft odd . Canopy was just taped on . the Paint had a week to gas off , so was just under
55 Oz. , which is a relief . Nothing like spending months going overweight , so a waste of time , >:( So its at what Id hoped for there .

Might even sneak a coat of paint on , one day . Silver or white .  :-\

only real issue is nosing over on launch , so do I fit a noseskid - like a old T/R one . ? seems the easiest fix . The Conc. Resivoir in N.Z. would
probly be o.k. , Ludnams got the best manicured cirxcle around here , So , We Will See . Busy on a few other things for a bit , but will tryn find
some fuel .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2016, 03:03:05 AM »
o.k.got a r o g with a push from Geoff Goodworth .

the needle worked , at least on the H40S in the MC 72 .

Leaned out through flight in the Mew Gull ,
65 ft. of .014 single strand  , new , on it .
seemed to handle the variable light bumps & wnd directions well.
Fuel was big improvement
Grooves in level & rounds  .

seems a good four stroke run will be right , we hope .
But a decent radius & drop out of the turn.in squares .
even inside & out , hanging a loop on one line , without going feral , dunno if id go much past one , unless she's slower .

you hit the wake there and a few other places, expected as its about 23% wing thickness .Blunt Airfoil with steepish fall off back of the spar .

good line tension . one lap glide .

sort out the leaning and the pilots neckand brain cells and  itll be marvellous .

gassed off so is at 55 Oz .  No power shortage .66 1/2 ft .018 7 strand steel laystrate on it today .
Hoping the horns are strong enough to hold station in bad air . Improve the cowl catch wire . ( refine )
Think theres enough room for a clunck tank , er wot . maybelighter .
responsive so needs a steady hand unless your into zigging & zagging   :P

30 G tyre Wt.under inboard tailplane ( on Fuse. )

soldered & lubed the axles .

may try a flight with the cowl off,to see if its too sopphisticated to work.  n1
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:52:29 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »
Matt,

How about a picture of the plane at the field ready to fly?  ;D

Thanks, Jerry

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Er . . , not at the Field , Exactly . . . but . . .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »
needs a clean  :-[ all the balsa dusts blown off it ., Anyway . ! :-X

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
I hope that wood is sealed! I've never flown one without paint......... %^@

Jerry

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
I must read the ' painting & finishing page , one of these days .  ;\

We'll blame JackSheeks for that. Wheres my carbon tetraflouride ! .

http://www.autographs.se/exp/henshaw%20eheim.jpg

Took forever to find it, again . whah Hoo .

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:51:59 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 04:18:13 AM »
Down the field today , with my ' team race ' pitman , of the  Metkemeyer Launch .

A wee shove gets it moving , before it trips up . Ex PVA squeeze bottle ( mustve mixedem up ) had coagulated the filter ,

EDIT : ( seems Im told armourall isnt what It Used to Be , and Silicones up your Filter - I was told . The squirt in the last batch mustve been the new stuff, doesnt ' anti foam ' either )

explains the runs, 2nd flight today we used a 12 x 5 top Flite wood prop , bit too 4 stroke , so the tension was down @ 70 Ft. on the .018s , the airbourne pitchers are from .
so I'll cut a set of 14 thou. solids , or two .
&  maybe some .016s for if theres a breeze .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:07:27 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2016, 04:20:30 AM »
Pilots brain at half mast , but got repeat hourglasses , a few Sq. eights and a few clovers out of it .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
Wandering off of water a tree can get you familiar with venomous Brown Snakes .
Had one for a guest awakeining one morning . a bit teritorial but didnt like me lunging at it while i was still asleep .
' Oh , a Lizards Tail dissapearing into the Grass .
Sunning itself at lunchtime , it wasnt a Lizard .

FS or FX  46 in the other beast .

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:05:02 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2016, 04:48:21 AM »
 ;D these ones are from Greg Via Email and posted by fumbling and stern glares, pushing buttons and persivarance . The previous arfe from my cell ph camera in the harsh light of day . Miday even .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:04:21 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2016, 04:49:56 AM »
The Pitmans better at  Metkemeyer Lauches than his cellphone is at pitchers , were told . But theyre better than nothing, you doubters and scoffers  mw~ .  :-\

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2016, 04:53:03 AM »
The Spelinks a bit off to , but If I got iot wright someoned hack in changing it as I go. At TIMES .

was goana edit em , but the pixies are a bit out of it , and itd look a bit furry . So youll take what your given and like it. Or Else - No More Gruel , you little scoundrels .  ??? :-X

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
Sheesh , he can count past three . Im told theres lots of pixles , too . Just as well it stayed going. Right up there . %^@

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
As my computor technieque consists of pushing buttons and things untill something vaugely hoped for happens , and its 23:52 Hrs , Talking Loudly to it at the moment might not go down to well , here . So this is it for now. Folks .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
Wong Won .  n~ Others found themselves through the maze , now. Silently too . almost .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
It Seems to be hideing up by the top of that pylon there , on that one . I MIGHT get the RIGHT ONE 007 ON , This Time .at the 2nd or third attempt.  LL~

We Escaped ' instruction ' as other conspirators are tied up over the way , at the moment . ;)

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
Here's one I've had a chance to edit.
It's the first time I've used my phone for pics other than just happy snaps. The hardest part is framing when the screen is reflecting the sun back into your face. Still I managed to keep the plane pretty much in centre.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »
WOW!

Great photo, great plane and nice flying.

Be nice to see the model painted and detailed.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »
Yes . . . Well , it may actually happen , Not Sure WHICH Christmass , but ' By Christmass ' might be appropriate . :-\
Anyway , Dragged it down the big smoke , and after No Rest headed of @ 7 a.m. . Left the Batteries charging on the bench .
Fortunately someone was kind enough to lend me a glow driver .
Definately been overproping it . First Fight was on the 12 x 5 - leaned off as it went ;
ive used a 3/32 K&S toob for the vent , 1/8 over it outside the tank. Filling the sucker , or to be more concise ,
Pressure on it from the syringe , to force fuel to the needle - if BOTH pipes are open uniflow & vent/ no cap ,
the uni vent will blow fuel for some seconds. Id think 1 or two Sec on a open vent more correct .
Looks like another tank is required there . Maybe 1/8 uni tube with a 1/2 in long 3/32 tube ' regulator ' at the outer end ? !  >:(

Put a Magnum 40 FSR clone in , the cranks 5 deg ' narrower ' ea way THAN THE FSR-S ' stunt ' crank timing !
Sleeve is considerably higher timed than the ringed FSR .

Enya 3 Plug cold cutting  %^@ hope theyre not pirate clones ? Running in a good healthy 4 stroke with a 11 x 5 Top Flite Ancient wood .
Tripped on roll out . One U.S. propellor ( Un Servicable  ;)>:(

Threw a Ex Windsor ' Somewhat ' wittled 13 now a 12 x 6 ?? with much of the blade ' gone ' - By File . ^#!*^ leaned off again .

HOWEVER . . . .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2016, 12:17:22 AM »
Got a reasonable flight outa the MC 72 , with 15G tail wt. Id decide , to get it to balance ' about the spar ' , as it did .
dunno if the 40S Max is gunna be to gutless & Thirsty , Might bung the bypass / boost on a Iron FP OS and see if thats the trick .
Lighter Still . With a 11 x 5 master or thinned Zinger , it was ' in the groove ' with the open Ex 71 Torp 40 , PREVIOUSLY .

The MEWGULL ! Id Cut in to pull the pushrod in on the Elevator Horn . Being a ' shoe horn ' FIT , it didnt want to UN , despite fileing,
muttering glaring and subdued brutality . Eventually got it off , the in the prepared inner bushed hole , Rewashered & Re bound & Soldered .

1/16 Ply Epoxied , let in Flush , as its all ' stressed skin ' in my humble outlook .Tossed the previous tail Wt. to start @ Sq. 1 .

Ratio is about 2 : 3 now rather than the previous near 1:1 , more usefull on an AFT. C.G. ,
As the Concept was Fwd C.G. it is , armspan wont make the tips  :-X , buts about the front of the spar , maybe 1 1/16 Aft of L.E at C/S . %^@
As Intended ( Similar to my goof of a jap. Hara Noblerish device that steered like a tractor , for those uninthe know , they turn tight for furrows .

SO , When the speed was roghly o.k. and the pilot ' almost there ( or THERE at times ) it was in the groove & turned fine .
Definately been overproping it , bouncey and needles good on the 11x5 rather than twelves ive been trying - after having seen Mr Hunts ( pictures )
of his wide blade 11 x 6 three blade . ( Must Make a note of the intakes ( asign the shipo a LOGBOOK ! ) and find the big ones ! ) Fond my ' missing ' line
clips up in a cnr. the other day . after 2 or 3 MONTHS concern .  :( :P :-[

Back on the 70 ft .018s for now . Need ' a hand ' or more spare to cut some New .016 solids . And Get some ' 14 inch reels ' as was the Kiwi Wont in the 70's .
 :P
Crick in the neck has O'Head 8s to ' out of site , far from out of mind ' just now , So Priority is The TANK & do a few props for the spinner , & maybe a Nose Skid  LL~ T/R style ,  :-\

Lined up a few .45s , tho looks like maybe the 40'll 4-2 , the OS dsoes ' the switch ' on the deck , fine . same angle ' cut in ' inverted & upright . Havnt pursued the Magnum 40 there
but maybe it will , Might do a few 11 x 4 s too , need the centers pulled in for the spinner cut outs , or V c V ,

May have it out Tomarra with the great cinamatographist  LL~ LL~ Thy Bro . ( Thinks He is ' The Director ' anyway .  ??? )

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
When the Hole in the Boat became a Water Sout , He Drilled a Hole to let the Water OUT . ;)  Bunged Acces Cuttouts . 2 Posn Horn , she wont be going back on the outer unless I take 3 Oz off the Nose . %^@

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »
DOWN the FIELD yeterday / Sat. Kuringai , acyually . 11 x 5 master Id Bought for the MC 72 on it ,

First Flight GOOD , leaned of a little toward end . F'ed up O'Head *s COMPLETELY , will have to pantomime the schedule , to get ' the moves '
right . as Im so rusty with winter & a long lay off . Slight wing low inverted at times , more discenable with speed .UNUSUAL as o.k. upright .

After Several stern glares at the FLAP Alignment , I gave the treatment to the ELEVATORS ( one rests near the rear windcreen , and getting it
in & out can get a brush ) Volia , inner was down maybe 2 mm . Funny its effect was inverted & tension at crossovers . REALIGNED Equal to R .

Checked the feul Filter . Oh Dear . Id dragged out old fuel , I think 5% , as I couldnt be bothered using / wished to reserve my few pints of methanol .
Armour A./ in It I recall . and half the cats breakfast & a field of oats plus a copper mine , by appearances . Blurry Pitcher .

looks like that indeed . ' will not respond '  >:( maybe tamara . maybe another PLUG will do it .  ;)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »
cleaned filter & it was LEANEr & leaned through run , on the second flight .  HB~> HB~> HB~> Got a Good ' Wheel Run ' landing though ,
so the undercarrage is not totally useless . just needs a nose skid . LL~ as nose in dirts inevitable at the stop. It seems .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »
Thus it is inevitable I will try Mr Zambelli's head chamber mod . Otherwise not going bad for the highest ( 8.625 = 8 5/8 ) Aspect Ratio F2B Thing
known to mankind .  :) LL~
Using the @ 70 ft. .018 laystrate .

Stays out there .

Pilot needs P.T. Commando Course & osteopath / CHIROPRACTOR. nOT A bL^%#* AMATURE , EITHER .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:03:00 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »
Mild Day , Mild Wind .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2016, 10:44:31 PM »
Mark Batty's Yatsenko take apart which he leaves assembled , for local operation . Put In 4 or 6 flights .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
A chap who shall remain nameless as he wasnt observing to give his expert appraisal of the Flight of the Mewgull , other than Bl**dy Loud .
We will blame Bob Hunt for this , as its a copy of his C.S.C. woodville W.C. one . Wich had a few similar if politer remarks, in ' the press '.
Harsher rasp with the magnum than the OS . Looks like a more socially acceptable alternative will have to be provided .

Rojett 60/61?? in there . Jeff Reeves actually. just im not good with names , and that sounded batter. But I remembered .put in 2 or 4 flights .

Looks Like a New Tank & set up a ' stunt ' head per ' Zambelli ' is first on my agenda . Maybe rub it back & paint white / scale tripe before
fuel renders it impractiCaL .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38:33 AM »
Latest Plot to even the output / power supply . Stripped & cleaned it . PARTICULARLY the Gudgeon/ wrist pin .

Reversed the case & Rod. $ 30 engine from California . Bearings were notchy / gritty as hell from sitting .
Just WD 40 and the ' mustve been dryed oil ' is all smooth & free . Wrist Pin got GROT removed or it wouldve been ??? as froze in piston & verge of corosion .

Care with Circlips / long nose pliers And SEEING THEYRE SEATED sees theyre seated fully home . So they stay home - rather than screw the bore .

IS Magnum 45 FSR abc , crank timing near 45 / 45 on this one . V near . Will have to drill THIS front housing for OS intake / NVA , as per .40 .

New Fuel Tank is high priority too. Think the 1/16 bore - 3/32 tube is somehow tripe , or the tins to thin . also will do the tounge muffler for a pressure nipple .
and see if its a ' acceptable ' noise level on THIS motor , before I figure to configure somat else THERE .  :(

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2016, 05:44:15 AM »
In Case you cant read that photo , if you cant read THIS photo , youll have to take it on faith it says FOURTY FIVE , or 45 actually ! . S?P

Hoping ( thats hope , not hop ) it'll be happier on the 12 in props , maybe a 12-5 tho ive 12-4s. Exhaust timings near 140 , rather than the 40s 150 , and the blowdowns less too .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:15:08 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »
Latest atanks on Tempt .

2 mm holes driled in baffle , then whacked with a centerpuch , over a hole in a stick , to flange the flow holes . Thenem Filed Even .
Tis about 150 cc , 6 Oz. ,  1 in. thick . Fits in easier & LIGHTER which is a bonus .

Test the tank & 45 set up tomarra .  S?P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »
Well , after sh*t runs with the Magum 40 , the 45 cutting & the OS leaning out ! .  >:(

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »
We got ta whittling .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Think most people'll recognise THAT . After drilling bearers 1/2 Fwd for the shorter injun , decided to LEAVE existing mount capeability too , so plates have Four Holes
Ea . Ea. side , & 8 nuts altogether !

This suckers a few ounces lighter than the Magnums / FSRs .

Reworked cowl etc to fit , and gotta bitta weight out .
First coat of F'Glass cloth looked magnificent . Second looked decidedly dodgey , and took cowl Wt. to 2.3 Oz. MORE than before . So looks like a lighter one
is on the cards to replace it . >:(

Wether the opening out around the motor did it ? the ' Smoke test ' ( Choke gasp ) has much smoother flow  now .

a silly shot of the peripheral ( aROUND THE SPINNER ) INLET DUCTING .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »
Got to put a flight on it Monday . ( yesterday ) Fitted 45 grammes tailweight !  :-[ under the elevators , to get the C.G. to 2 in. behind the L.E. at the Root .

Blowing a trifle , 15 to 18 . some were saying 30 . A smoothie cut loose & went in , and only four flights in the O.T. / Classic comp . Mk 1 T bird shuddering
and way open in the o.h. 8s , and definately four round things , somewhere , which mayve been a clover . Only Flight to approach  all the manouvres .

My trundling round with a few consecutive insides & outsides , to see if it wound up . NO . After a wing down on the launch , it snapped out quick ,
and inner 30 deg down , then the wind mustve hit the outer & knocked it flat , on the first outside recovery from inverted . The second getting a bit of hight ,
er trying to , the wind held er downish , hit full up . After 1/4 loop , visulised pices of Mewgull bouncing skyward spectacularly  %^@
Just as well I held full control in - whistled round and cleaered by a few feet . maybe .

A few nice triangles , a few times . The super Tigres pulling nicely , if a bit rich . a .210 intake , muffler pressure , and a 12 x 5 rev up Wood .

Its got ' the turn ' now , with the C.G. back somewhere more sensable , the motors steady , bit of a bump on landing , trying to get er down
before right upwind , as shes a bit of a floater . felt very light on the glide , with the headwind , cut just before downwind , somewhat touchy
or was it the pilot overcontroling .

All set for further endevours anyway .And two puple cushions , for suports whilst sanding P-51s etc .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
Gees , Ive missed , I Threw a FP 40 in it , after slotting the engine lugs . Left the Tail Wt. on ! 12 x 4 Nylon tornado .  ST NVA .
Now , This Motor has always ' run away ' . I couldnt give it away . Series one FP , the Iron swage case job . Id picked up a later FP 35
And Read Leonard Newmans , and others , stuff on FPs . So wasnt expecting satisfactory results .

Surprise Surprise , it behaved itself . Flew good in gusty air at S A T , Blown In once or twice but flew itself out with minimal footwork .
Yjey Called of the Comp. I think only one or two  other got Airbourne . Before mutual consent caused abandonment . After Id dialed in a few things .
More Go and 10 G tyre wt out there for a bit of drag to hold the tip .

Did a new lighter cowl to fit the ST too , nowll get trimmed internally for the FP 40 OS . which is lighter again than the 21/46 . still the 25 G lead
at the rear hinge line . will have to ' internalise ' this . once finalised . post clear coat . :-\

Not to Worry . Gave it a good scrub . Should put a few numbers / letters o it , in tissue , the green wing & fin tips , and get the 2 pot poly on
With the AIRBRUSH  .
I think in hindsite the P-51 got a double dose . Live & Learn .
Figured a final deatail on the upper leg fairings . Not a lot differant to original , just grain lengthwise rather than vertical , so max resistance is to leg swing.

Finally got these recordings got ' in the public domain ' . so There you are .

Hairworthy . %^@ Couple of flights on it , Here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKc5_MvUHvn68mTgUSxKcbw

2 .nd I try'n spin the wheels up ( to free em of a bit ) didnt bind till I soldered the Axles - Dagg / flashing - shaft to washer . Knife Blde in 7 spin has freed em , at the 50Th Attempt . >:(
This isnt entirely succesfull .
thinking its the Magnum 45 in it .
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:27:26 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16:39 PM »
Well , ive ' resurected the thing . New Fuse , + 1 1/2 inches aft . Did the Fuse. for the Staler 51 RE . but since fitted for FP 40 . Dunno if this was a mistake . :(
Redone the spare cowl for the FP . Heads inside . Stalker head would protrude plus would need a cut  out for muffler air exit . So the logic was ' keep it clean ' rather the orifficated .

Will see if some pictures ' go on ' .

one of the Full Sized , anyway .

Getting inclined to do another ' green ' one , for ,maybe the Merco 61 . THAT original was with a Merco 49 . Darn Good. Hot Ship . Pointy Spinner .

V differant to fly to this ' High drag ' version . Ive increaed the flaop chord to loose the thick T E . Had to reskin, again , the top of the elevators .
ANYWAY , ready for tissue covering . Tank Bay , cowl etc etc all done . Hopeing it wont ' trip up ' on the small wheels. Now . But figure dragging some carpet to the field might get it running free . If needed .
Would be o.k. on tarmac. Dunno if the new Nats Site has the Stunt Circles tarmaced or just the T/R & Combat .  VD~ S?P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2020, 11:28:07 PM »
We'll take the clamps off , to fly it .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here