Design > Stunt design

Bi-Planes

<< < (2/6) > >>

Eric Viglione:
Owen Richards scaled up a Dixon 38 Special and put a full body on it with a DS 61RE. The thing actually flies a nice corner! It seems to have been more of a novelty item for him, for some reason, and I haven't really seen him fly it often, but I think the idea worked out great.

Eric V.

wmiii:

--- Quote from: Jim Thomerson on June 23, 2006, 08:32:36 AM ---Second that on Don's Stearman as I have had the pleasure of judging him flying one.   Plans in Flying Models, as I recall.  Biplane in capable hands has won OTS at the VSC a couple of times. I think it is simply a matter than no top flier has sat down and decided to campaign a biplane.

--- End quote ---

But remember, the OTS pattern doesn't have, square eights, hour glass, triangles. I've watch Bart fly it and agree it's fun to watch. Bart
stated that you have to be really carefull, something about a stall. I
would like to build the Orwick .64 version someday though.

Walter

c.maikis:
Hi friends,
I really don't think that biplanes are as bad as many people think. Probably nobody has ever tried to really design one for serious competition.
I flew my Duetto bipe in the late 80s, and quite successful, at that. Honestly I think that I got some point gifts from the judges, but I won a few contests with Duetto, and you cannot do this with a bad airplane. I had put all my knowledge about stunt design ( how ever much that is !) into this model, and it flew right off the board, as they say. One drawback: in very hot weather it didn't like the hourglass corners.
One of my friends wanted to build a biplane, too. I gave my plan to him, but recommended to increase the size slightly and use a ST60 ( instead of my ST46 ). My friend  is not a top pilot, but looking from the outside I got the impression that he did in fact fly just as well as usual.
Now a pilot from France has asked me for the plans. The model has just been finished, I'm waiting for his comments.
Last not least Luciano Compostella ( several times European Champion and many high placings ) has flown his Falco design in many big European contests and has won them  or placed high. If my memory serves me right he used a big  four stroke engine ).
I'd be really interested to know how the Biceps biplane flies. Is there any good flyer who can give a competent judgement?
Regards,  claus 

c.maikis:
Second attempt !!
Somehow I only managed to include two photos. Here are the other two:  the "Twini" of my friend Lutz ( who was very pleased with his model ) , and the new airplane of Thierry Sonier ( France ) which is the same design.
claus

Bill Little:
Hi Claus!

I thought of you when this question came up.  But I could not remember "Duetto"!  Not wanting to sound too stupid, I didn't say anything hoping I would remember the name!   j1 **) **)

Bill <><

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version