News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leadouts over/under  (Read 2659 times)

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Leadouts over/under
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »
What is the aerodynamic thought about having the leadouts over/under i.e. Bob Palmer's Thunderbird. Where up is on the bottom and down is on the top. I would make each adjustable, horizontally.

Any thought?

Roger 
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Leadouts over/under
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
It seems like a good idea if your style involves hanging the plane from one line in extreme manovers.  If you hang by one line it would be nice to have the lines come out together.  But if you fly with tension on both lines I do not see any benefit from the up or down line being fore or aft.

I like to have the leadouts places so there is little or no bending and/or binding action on the leadout guides.
Paul Smith

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
Thanks Paul.
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
It seems like a good idea if your style involves hanging the plane from one line in extreme manovers.  If you hang by one line it would be nice to have the lines come out together.  But if you fly with tension on both lines I do not see any benefit from the up or down line being fore or aft.\

You don't have to hang the airplane on one line. The same effect, to a lesser degree, happens any time you deflect the controls. Any time the controls are deflected, there is more tension on one line than the other, so the force applied to the leadout guide, it any, it higher on the "active" line.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
A certain 11 time NATS (and 1 time World) Champion used over/under leadouts on at least his first 4-cycle "PW-51 Mustang". But nothing since. That tells me all I need to know. He does use individual leadout adjusters for front/back, and says that makes a difference. I have no hope of ever being able to tell, but would probably do it anyway.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Thanks Steve, I will incorporate them on this winters build.

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here