News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Listen to this, I find it particularly funny...  (Read 1270 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Listen to this, I find it particularly funny...
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
Ok, whenever I taper flaps of elevators, grandpa gives me reference points for me to taper since I'm still getting the hang of building.  He also makes sure I'm not airfoiling one side or the other and leaving the other side flat.  When he builds he doesn't put any reference lines on the flaps or elevators because HE is an expert builder.  Well he painted the flaps on his own design Starfire that hasn't flown for 5 years after trying to refinish it 3 times during that time (long story).  Well anyway, at first he didn't like the way the flaps came out, and then when he got to looking at it, he noticed that the flaps were airfoiled on one side and flat on the other, definitely not good (we determined that the plane would hunt and not fly well).  So now he is making new flaps and he is going to put reference lines on the flaps when he tapers them.

Moral to this story, you should do the same things you tell your student to do, my flaps come out fine because he checks them.

now on a similar note, this airplane will be powered by a PA 51 on a pipe, 660 square inches of wing area, elliptical wing, Nering sort of profile and has the base color on it, which he calls silver leaf green, and I couldn't find a flaw on the fuselage.  The estimated weight at the end of the finish is going to be somewhere around 64 ounces.

Matt Colan

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Listen to this, I find it particularly funny...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »
Have you heard about the easy way to taper anything? Use different size rods and sand to the rods. Lets say you want to take a 1/4 inch flap and taper it to 1/8.. You need 3 rods (music wire works great), 1/4, 3/16 and 1/8. You put the 1/4 inch rod at the leading edge and the 3/16 rod at the trailing edge. Sand till your sanding block is flush with both rods along the entire length. Flip the piece over and put the 1/8 rod at the trailing edge leaving the 1/4 rod at the LE, sand till you are even with he rods and you have a perfectly tapered flap. For different thickness/tapers just figure out what size rods you need and get after it.

Even works on round parts like Ringmaster elevators, just bend the rod to match the part. Works every time and is fool proof. The only way you can screw up is by not sanding enough. 

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
Hi Bob....the rods are an excellent idea and I have tried it on more than one occassion and have had mixed results.  The rods have a tendency to wander a bit and have to be watched carefully.  Is there some trick to locking them in place?

Hi Matt....excellent story and of course guite funny to everyone except the certain Grandpa that it happened to! LOL
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
  The rods have a tendency to wander a bit and have to be watched carefully.  Is there some trick to locking them in place?

I use masking tape along their length. It may sound less than ideal, but it works fine.

SK

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Hi Bob....the rods are an excellent idea and I have tried it on more than one occassion and have had mixed results.  The rods have a tendency to wander a bit and have to be watched carefully.  Is there some trick to locking them in place?

Hi Matt....excellent story and of course guite funny to everyone except the certain Grandpa that it happened to! LOL

I usually work on a bench covered with a glass top, if the parts are such that I have trouble holding everything together I just tape the rods to the glass top. It will still move around if you are heavy handed but you would be suprized what a couple pieces of masking tape will do.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »
The easiest way I've found is to just CyA the rods to the glass top. They'll come loose with a whack of a chisel or just a hammer when you're done. Then clean up the residue with a razor blade scraper.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »
I've used the rod technigue too.  I just tape it down and sand away...

Matt Colan

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
When I whack glass with a chisel I usually end up cleaning up the residue with a broom and dustpan! LL~

Seriously, I know you meant to whack it parallel to the glass surface.  CYA is very brittle in shear.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:40:36 AM »
I use double sided carpet tape on the glass or wood or whatever the surface...I use enough to hold the rod in place and a little more and the item you're sanding stays in place too...peels off when you are done...2.99 a roll at Lowes or the Depot.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
I use an old glass top dining room table.

When need to stick something down I use a hot melt glue gun.  I can get it off when I'm done with a combination of a heat gun and single edge razor blades.  Haven't broken the table yet.

ps: fixture block are glued from the side, not underneath.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
When I've used rods, I usually build some sort of jig to how things. Last time, I took a chunk of particle board and clamped the rods down to it then bridged and clamped the board down. Slide in the flap and sand away.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
Good idea to glue down the rods!

Next ones I cut, I'll tack them to the glass with thick CyA in enough places, and "kick" the CyA to make sure it's cured. Later, debonder to release the rods, then a razor or #11 blade edge to pop the CyA residue off.

I've occasionally had the balsa flap blanks slip, but then I remembered I have plenty of 2-sided "scotch" tape... Not so thick it can distort the taper, and holds very well if the wood and the glass are clean and dry. (Clean both when you flip the blank over...) 2-side tape doesn't peel off well, but a #11 blade makes it easy.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:12 AM »
One thing you want to be sure of when sand tapering a part with angled ends to be sure and put the big rod on the right side.. If you put it on the wrong side you have to fix it.. This is the rudder of the FJ-4 I'm now finishing, the dark piece scabbed onto the lower rear is because I goofed  ::)

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
I'm also in the habit of tack gluing jigs and parts to my glass top building
surface with thin CA.. I use a razor scraper or safety razor blade to remove
things. On at least one occasion, I managed to chip a small area of the glass
surface, so I'm more careful now.

As for the rod sanding method, I founding taping them in place fairly useless
for me, and I let them float. The important thing to do is frequently remove the
sawdust, because it will easily build up under your part and allow it to be sanded
too thin..

I believe Joe Adamusko showed a special sanding tool he made for the elliptical arc
shapes on his big Spits and similar elliptical winged ships.

Here's my idea - build a sanding jig using the square solid brass rod, with the rods
glued into place, with proper curvature for your flap TE as required - one for top
surface and one for bottom surface taper. You'd need a decent flat strong surface,
and I have seen some fairly inexpensive pressed wood shelf stock with laminate
(Formica or similar) surfaces. (Not all shelf stock is reasonably flat, of course.)

In reality, I don't think the flat surface is so absolutely critical for the sanding, since
the tubing diameter limits sanding, and the flaps/elevators have a little compliance. But
I like accuracy for its own sake; it could be worthwhile to build a taper sanding jig for
your favorite model.

Here's a link for an online site where you can buy small quantities of square rod for
reasonable cost: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=82&step=2&top_cat=79
I haven't actually done business with Online Metals, I just googled for square brass bar.

Just sayin'..  :!

L.

"The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all." -Jawaharlal Nehru
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »
Here are some drawings I whipped up of a sanding jig for Mo'Best flaps. This is
side one, the other side has a 1/8" square rod for the trailing edge guide and is
a mirror image of this one. This assumes a 3/4" thick piece of fir (say) for the
base, and brass square stock 1/4" for LE and 3/16" and 1/8" for TE.

The taper sanding should be perfectly symmetrical, so the same pair of jigs should
serve for both inboard and outboard flaps. I think a pair would likely last forever
for my needs.

L.

"Better hazard once than always be in fear." -Thomas Fuller
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here