News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airfoil Thickness (Again)  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Airfoil Thickness (Again)
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I asked about airfoil design about a month ago, and the responses seemed to boil down to a few sensible ones: make it so thick, use so much % flap, etc.

But the "make it so thick" part was confusing me -- do I want an airfoil that is 18-20% of the thickness from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the flap, or that thick from the leading edge to the hingeline?

I would assume that I want the thicker shape, but read them as I might I couldn't get that straight from the responses I got.

So: how thick relative to what chord?

Thanks, and sorry for being so thick :-).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Airfoil Thickness (Again)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
I asked about airfoil design about a month ago, and the responses seemed to boil down to a few sensible ones: make it so thick, use so much % flap, etc.

But the "make it so thick" part was confusing me -- do I want an airfoil that is 18-20% of the thickness from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the flap, or that thick from the leading edge to the hingeline?

I would assume that I want the thicker shape, but read them as I might I couldn't get that straight from the responses I got.

So: how thick relative to what chord?

Thanks, and sorry for being so thick :-).

The chord of the wing (including the flap, if any). Including the flap is the standard method. Al Rabe uses the chord of the fixed portion when specifying the thickness, but he is almost unique in that. It led to some interesting misunderstandings but as long as everybody knows what each other is doing you can easily convert from one to another.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
   The chord of the wing (including the flap, if any). Including the flap is the standard method. Al Rabe uses the chord of the fixed portion when specifying the thickness, but he is almost unique in that. It led to some interesting misunderstandings but as long as everybody knows what each other is doing you can easily convert from one to another.
Thanks Brett.

I finally found some known-recent designs in Flying Models that bear this out -- I'm seeing 18% of the total average chord, including flaps.

Off to the drafting board!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
Rather than the drafting board, you might consider http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm .
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »
My drawing gear was from the previous century , design wise anyway . Till some bimbo trashed it .

Can draw to 1 /10 of a m.m.  (4 Thou) with a sharp 6 H pencil if youve a decent sharpner and sight.

Otherwise use magnifieing glasses and a decent clear antique 32nds in. rule .Viva tecnology ! ?  .

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
Rather than the drafting board, you might consider http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm .
Well, the virtual drafting board -- I'm using QCAD.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »

How in the heck do I trace around the edge of my shoe with that?!

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
I'm not CAD drafter, that's certain, but I've been using QCad to doodle. It works pretty well.

But in the end, I'm a paper and pencil guy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
Hey Brett:

Do I have to use one of your shoes to make the Ultimate Airfoil, or will anyone's do?
AMA 64232

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I'm rather puzzled by the comment that airfoil percentage thickness "includes" the flap chord.
I always thought (and I do it myself) that the percentage thickness was only to the flap hinge line?

Who else thinks the way I do?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
I'm rather puzzled by the comment that airfoil percentage thickness "includes" the flap chord.
I always thought (and I do it myself) that the percentage thickness was only to the flap hinge line?

Who else thinks the way I do?
Al Rabe, apparently.

Speaking as an engineer, I would take the chord length to include the flap.  Any analysis (purely mathematical or using a computer) would take the flap into account.   Certainly if you were looking at an airplane with nicely integrated ailerons you'd calculate the chord as going out to the end of the aileron, and an aileron is nothing but a flap.  Ditto if you're calculating the chord of a tail surface -- you'd take it to the trailing edge of the movable surface, not to the hinge line.

So I think the normal way to do it -- at least if you take all of aviation into account, and not just control line stunt -- would be to include the flap in the overall "wing".

I think for us it's just that the typical overall "pollywog" airfoil shape with the flap as the tail makes us think of the flap as separate, rather than a part of a greater whole.  The air thinks different, though.
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
That's why I suggested Profili.  It will tell you what the air thinks.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Howard,

I though you always knew what the air thought ... without Profili.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
Al Rabe, apparently.

Speaking as an engineer, I would take the chord length to include the flap.  Any analysis (purely mathematical or using a computer) would take the flap into account.   Certainly if you were looking at an airplane with nicely integrated ailerons you'd calculate the chord as going out to the end of the aileron, and an aileron is nothing but a flap.  Ditto if you're calculating the chord of a tail surface -- you'd take it to the trailing edge of the movable surface, not to the hinge line.

So I think the normal way to do it -- at least if you take all of aviation into account, and not just control line stunt -- would be to include the flap in the overall "wing".

I agree, there's no reason to invent a new standard just because it's toy airplanes, or someone in the past was unaware of it and used a different definition.

But I hasten to point out (before Al rises from his hospital bed to smite us all for heresy) - it's really not too important which way you do it as long as everybody understands the method you are using.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »

Howard is channeling Kelly Johnson.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
But I hasten to point out (before Al rises from his hospital bed to smite us all for heresy) - it's really not too important which way you do it as long as everybody understands the method you are using.
I can't agree more -- and I'm not even worried about Al finding out where I live.
AMA 64232

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Floyd, et al

I believe that the flap should be included in the overall wing section parameters because that's what the air sees. What we call the airfoil before the TE is truncated and the flap fitted could be the subject of an interesting discussion.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
While our "flaps" should be included in the wing's chord measurement, I ask how many full sized aircraft have a similar wing airfoil contour to our stunt ships? Can you show me a picture of just one?

I use the measurement to the flap leading edge, for the simple reason that I create the thicker front portion of the wing using a "standard" (?) simple airfoil shape (e.g. NACA00xx) which I chop off as needed ahead of its zero height trailing edge, and rescale in chord, to get the non-zero height trailing edge, a place for our "flap" control surface to connect..

Since that is the portion of the wing where I'm setting the maximum thickness of the wing, it doesn't seem unreasonable not to include the flaps.

I don't think it makes much difference, does it? As long as we are clear on what we are talking about? In conjunction, I haven't seen much problems due to confusions about the definition of chord. Have there been? Just curious as to WHO was confused and subsequently designed a stunt airfoil and built a wing of the wrong thickness? ;->

There are a few "standard" measurements we use in CL Stunt that don't make much sense in the grown up airplane design world. Like back of spinner to wing leading edge ("nose length" or "nose moment" <??>) and hingeline to hingeline distance ("tail moment" <??>). These are not really aerodynamic parameters, rather what has evolved for the convenience of modelers.

I'm aware of efforts of several technically oriented folks here who have tried to help by describing such things as mean aerodynamic chord, and I respect their efforts, but it has very little impact.

Consider this - quite a few of us have quoted wing area values, which may or may not include the portion of the wing hidden inside the fuselage, are frequently coarse guesses, and at best are perimeter outline area measurements. Considering the exaggerated thickness of our modern stunter wings, wing VOLUME might be more meaningful. What's the value anyway, beyond some relative comparative wing size?

I mention it because when I first used AutoCad to measure the actual perimeter area of a Roadrunner wing and arrived at ~593 square inches (which included flaps and the portion inside the fuselage), I was pounced upon by a couple of good friends who just were completely sure it was a lot larger.. This measurements seems somewhat subjective to me.

While perhaps we *ought* to be settling on more meaningful measurements, only guys like our recently deceased Wild Bill (one of my heroes) would find any real application with them. They're simply not terribly useful to those of us lacking aeronautical design credentials. Remember what Bill said about Stunt News readers "not wanting the math".. (I submit that we "design" are model airplanes largely by cut and try, and/or tweaks to well established "numbers". Those "numbers" are what we created for comparative measurements.)

Sorry, I'm with Jimmy Stewart's character Frank Towns in  "Flight of the Phoenix" on this one, who finally concluded "He's crazy Lou, he builds toy airplanes." But a "toy airplane" is pulled on the floor by a string and moves along the ground! And I do remember what Heinrich Dorfmann said about model airplanes needed to be better designed than the Big Jobs..

I think it is time to chop very accurate models of our stunt models into thousands of tiny triangles and get with some serious finite element analysis. Either that, or take the actual model out and fly a pattern or two with it.. ;->

L.

"Mr. Towns, you behave as if stupidity were a virtue. Why is that?" -Heinrich Dorfmann
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
Why yes Larry I can in fact show you a real airplane with an NACA 0018 airfoil.  It's called a B-17 and it's the exact airfoil that Paul Walker used on his stunt model of a B-17.  You said only one - there ya go!

Jim Pollock   VD~

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »
While perhaps we *ought* to be settling on more meaningful measurements, only guys like our recently deceased Wild Bill (one of my heroes) would find any real application with them. They're simply not terribly useful to those of us lacking aeronautical design credentials.

But you are advocating using parameters that are not useful to anybody and are named with technical terms that mean something else. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »
Jim, I think Larry was talking about the complete wing section, truncated airfoil plus sheet flap. Apart from that, there are plenty more examples of real life sections used on models and even more examples of standard airfoils with the max thickness point location and thickness modified.

Where I can see it becoming comfusing for somebody who does not fully understand what is going on and how the parameters change:

If you have a wing 10" wide at the root and you need to truncate it 0.5" to fit the flap, NACA 0024 with 10.5" chord will produce an airfoil a tad over 2.5" thick. But 24% is mighty thick. Truncate to 10" and fit a 3" wide flap and you finish with a wing 13" wide and 2.5" thick, 19% thickness.

Most of the designers that I speak with fully understand this but it can be confusing for people new to the game. My take is that you need to understand and use the thicker sections in your wing but most people that I know include the flap width in the thickness calculation per my example.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
Has anyone taken a look at Keith Trostle's Fock Wolfe that he won a NATS with.  The flap is part of the airfoil until deflected.  Started one and was up to the hingng point when I gave up on it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
Why yes Larry I can in fact show you a real airplane with an NACA 0018 airfoil.  It's called a B-17 and it's the exact airfoil that Paul Walker used on his stunt model of a B-17.  You said only one - there ya go!

Jim Pollock   VD~

BUT, Jim.. I'm referring to an example of a real airplane with the airfoil/"flap" configuration we use. After all, we're supposed to be including the wing + flap, since that's what the "air sees", right? Where's the added trailing edge flap that is around 30% of the chord (at the root) of the airfoiled portion of the wing?

And Howard, I'm not advocating calling our "numbers" aerodynamic parameters. I'm pointing to the fact that they are useful for modelers as comparative, defined measurements. In general, Stunt News readers "don't want the math", as Wild Bill found. I'm defending their usefulness to modelers, who most certainly are not using them for analysis.

Years ago, I remember telling my father how calculus can be used to find the center of gravity of a trapezoidal shape.. He was a smart but uneducated man, a master carpenter by trade. After thinking about the problem a minute, he said he knew how HE'd solve it. When I asked how, he said he would balance the piece on the sharp edge of a utility knife. He then qualified it further by saying that the piece needed to be of "uniform material"..

There are precise, mathematical parameters, and I'm all for using them. However, there are also simple practical measurements, which are more often useful to many more people.

L.

"It is fatal to be appreciated in one's own time." -Osbert Sitwell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
No, they are not useful to anybody.  You can measure the distance between flap and elevator hinge lines, but it has no aerodynamic significance for comparing one design with another.  Something like "tail volume", simplistic as it is, does have some meaning.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:04 AM »
Howard.. I agree. Or rather, my geek side agrees. I like to define parameters clearly, even when they are not being used in meaningful mechanical analysis..

However, I have found from reading various technical papers (e.g. IEEE articles) written for professional scientists and mathematicians, that simple, beautiful concepts are often obscured and lost in "compact" notation. I had a lot of "Aha! You bastards!" moments as I slugged my way through the notation to discover the kernel.  I admit my bias, due to my slowness on the pickup. Although I was scientific (research) option in college, I suffered every step, and it left me soured and nasty, full of scorn.

And, in spite of the beauty of Maxwell's equations, I tend to wince and pull away from any equation with surface integrals, or both superscripts and subscripts.

L.

"Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand." -Mark Twain

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how would you define and/or measure the chord of a Chief with the poliwog airfoil??

Troublemaker

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
Don,

Well, how are tadpoles normally measured? ;->

L.

"My other computer is a Borg."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Augh!  My thread, it has been overrun by nit-pickers!  Nothing sensible remains!

Good thing I already have my airfoil design, even if it's wrong.
AMA 64232

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
Just do what Jack Sheeks suggested! Draw around the side of his size 9 shoe! LL~ (I think he was joking S?P)

Cheers   Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Just do what Jack Sheeks suggested! Draw around the side of his size 9 shoe!
But I don't have any of Jack Sheeks's shoes.  Am I doomed?
AMA 64232

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »
Howard,

Seems to me Kelly Johnson(Lockheed) demonstrated that he knew pretty well how air thinks(of course with a little help from wind tunnels).  The classic quite was from the guy who wrote about the Skunk Works(sorry the name escapes me) a few years back. Johnson looked at his drawing, said it's going to overheat there.  The guy went back and did a couple of reams of calculations, and lo and behold they said the temperature would be too high exactly where Johnson predicted.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here