News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airfoil and Stall  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Fred Underwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Airfoil and Stall
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
I have a simple question and am hoping that there are some simple, or made simple, answers.  Is there a benefit to changing root to tip airfoil shape, thickness, or high point to avoid or delay tip vs root stall? 
Fred

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Airfoil and Stall
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
Good question.  I don't have an answer.  Well, I guess I do for stunt.  I use an Impact wing, which works. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:38:46 PM »
Does it matter?  If you're getting close to stall then the ship's probably way misbehaving anyway.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
The most common idea is to make the tip airfoil slightly thicker, move the max thickness slightly forward, and keep the leading edge radius(if the airfoil has one) the same at the root and the tip(effectively increasing the radius).  Works on combat planes and stunters.

The only plane I ever had a problem with was one a friend designed.  It was a VooDoo sized combat plane.  He used a 3/8 sq. leading end, leaving it a sharp square corner, and the high point was back at 50%.  It did fly faster than his VooDoo.  It was a bear to fly.  Any kind of sharp corner and it basically stopped flying.  If you were quick to back off you could keep it from crashing.
phil Cartier

steven yampolsky

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
Is there a benefit to changing root to tip airfoil shape, thickness, or high point to avoid or delay tip vs root stall? 

I wondered the same thing for years. I even built models with thicker tips but no more. There is no aerodynamic reason to do it in a control line model.

The concept of various wing thicknesses comes from full-size aviation. Full size airplanes typically have ailerons near the tip of the wing and flaps near the root. If tips stall, ailerons become useless and the P-force of a prop can twist the plane into a spin. The solution is to ensure the section of the wing closer to the wing root stalls first thus ensuring that ailerons stay effective through the stall and can keep the plane level.
Designers have two commonly used solutions to solve the tip stall problem. Most commonly employed one is twisting the wing such that the near tip section of the wing has a lower angle of attack than the root section. Free Flight gliders employ this quite a lot. The problem with this approach is that twisted wing has higher drag which is not desirable for fast airplanes. A faster airplane such as Cirrus SR22 employs a different approach: they make wing section near the tip thicker than the root. This is the approach you are thinking of using with a model airplane, correct? There are two flaws in the reasoning though:

1) Our models do not use ailerons. There is no reason for different sections of the wing to stall at different points.
2) Our models do not stall on purpose. One can fly through the entire pattern and NEVER stall. As a matter of fact, stalling in stunt is undesirable. Stalling is unpredictable which kills consistency. Consistently is the name of the game in stunt.

Either way, there is no benefit of designing extra controls to prevent tip stalling.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »
Actually, different planform wings do stall in different places, sometimes in spite of what the ailerons are trying to make happen.

If I'm remembering my Received Wisdom well enough, the wing "wants" to fly with an elliptical lift distribution, and adjusts the flow over itself to achieve that.  So where the wing is narrower than elliptical, it'll tend to stall earlier.

Thus, when all else is equal (no wash-out or in, or different thicknesses or whatever):
  • Eliptical wings stall all at once
  • "Hershey bar" straight-chord wings stall at the root (notice how many full-scale trainers have straight chord)
  • Tapered wings tend to stall mid-span, or at the tips depending on taper

I recently completed a Ringmaster S-1, and in spite of doing what I thought was enough to avoid the Dread Ringmaster Stall, I managed to experience it after all.  That plane was obviously really trying to do a snap roll out there on the ends of the lines, and only prevented from doing so by line tension.

On full-scale planes they do all sorts of things to trim the stall behavior at low speeds: if you ever get close enough to a plane to notice, you may see a piece of 1" or 1/2" aluminum angle riveted to the leading edge at the wing root -- that's there to induce a stall at the wing root in a nice controlled way, rather than have it happen further outboard, where it can lead to a snap roll.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:51:52 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
Does it matter?  If you're getting close to stall then the ship's probably way misbehaving anyway.

More likely me than the plane ;), but that possibility leads to the question.
Fred

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Tapered wings tend to stall mid-span, or at the tips depending on taper

and sweep and sideslip.  A rule of thumb is that the farthest-back part of the wing will stall first.  A rectangular CL airplane wing will start to stall in the middle if it's going straight ahead, but on the trailing wing if it's upwind or downwind on the circle.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
and sweep and sideslip.  A rule of thumb is that the farthest-back part of the wing will stall first.  A rectangular CL airplane wing will start to stall in the middle if it's going straight ahead, but on the trailing wing if it's upwind or downwind on the circle.

Huh.  I did not know this.

Of course, the one place I heard about the effect is the Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics.  Any book that advertises its illustratedness in the title isn't going to be the world's most advanced.

So, does this mean a 747 with an X-29 wing would be safer from tip stall than one with a conventional wing  :P ?
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »
The 747 need not do both inside and outside loops, so it can have the requisite airfoils, twist, and aeroelastic properties.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
Not do both, or either  :)
Fred

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »
Yes. What you are talking about is referred to as "aerodynamic twist" and many modern aircraft designs employ it.

That said, if you are operating a CLPA airframe that close to stall you have bigger issues to contend with.

...and, we use symmetrical airfoil so all you'd be doing is moving the drag around and changing the flow separation point.

What I've toyed with with some limited success are LEX methods to increase vorticity at high angles of attack in order to keep the flow from separating inboard and thus keeping a better lift distribution. I'm incorporating extensions on my electric design, but since it's my first eStunt who knows what the effects will be, since I have no baseline. It's probably more placebo effect.

Chuck
AMA 76478

steven yampolsky

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 07:57:26 AM »
What I've toyed with with some limited success are LEX methods to increase vorticity at high angles of attack in order to keep the flow from separating inboard and thus keeping a better lift distribution.

On NACA airfoils we typically use in stunt, as AOA increases, the lift increases in a linear fashion up to 10 degrees. After 10 degrees(for 18% airfoil, 11 for 22%), the increase in lift for every degree drops off SIGNIFICANTLY while the drag keeps increasing exponentially. In other words, to try and eek more lift by letting the wing go to higher AOA is a loosing battle. I would look into other mechanisms of increasing lift.

Here's an idea worth checking out: increase wing area but use thinner airfoil to offset increase in drag. Difference in lift between 0016 and 0022 airfoils is negligible. 0016 becomes useless beyond 10 degrees, while 0022 is useless beyond 11. 0016 develops more lift between 5-10 degrees but like I said, the differences are negligible.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
In my earlier years I really sought the ellusive 5' corner,  especially after watching Gene Schafer fly his Air Boss.  (A couple flights before the fuselage snapped behind the wing during a corner).  My Music was pretty close.  What I found was that thicker more aggressive tip airfois would give you explosive turns but like most things we do there is a price to pay.  In this case its higher  stall speeds-watch out on those slow landing approaches and the ships didn't like turbulent air.  Duck and bounce pretty bad.  When I thinned the tips some and pushed the high point back a little the airplanes tamed better in wind and landings became easier. Of course I lost a little edge in corners but judges didn't seem to like snap corners anyway.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
On NACA airfoils we typically use in stunt, as AOA increases, the lift increases in a linear fashion up to 10 degrees. After 10 degrees(for 18% airfoil, 11 for 22%), the increase in lift for every degree drops off SIGNIFICANTLY while the drag keeps increasing exponentially. In other words, to try and eek more lift by letting the wing go to higher AOA is a loosing battle. I would look into other mechanisms of increasing lift.

Here's an idea worth checking out: increase wing area but use thinner airfoil to offset increase in drag. Difference in lift between 0016 and 0022 airfoils is negligible. 0016 becomes useless beyond 10 degrees, while 0022 is useless beyond 11. 0016 develops more lift between 5-10 degrees but like I said, the differences are negligible.

Well, not sure I agree with above. For starters, the airfoil data is two dimensional, airplanes are 3 dimensional. THe aspect ratio controls the real angle of attack because of the induced drag.

A low aspect ratio wing with the same airfoil and area of one with a higher aspect ratio will stall at a higher angle of attack.

Also, once the critical angle of attack on an airplane is reached the curve flattens and there is no futher loss of lift ( unless you go into supemanuverability ) due to the reduction in induced drag, so the lift and drag coefficients remain fairly constant around the "knee" which doesn't happen in 2-D flow .

Additionally, if you look at the curves for symmetrical airfoils you'll notice that the flat wing of a Guillows glider has the same curve as a Nobler. 2Pi with the zero-lift AoA at zero degrees.

Yeah, I'll give you we use flaps, but the changes in lift coefficient due to the flap deflection are not calculated as a fucntion of thickness.

SoI guess what I'm saying is airplane wings don't act the same as sections in a wind tunnel.

And you have to remember, that models fly at such low Reynolds numbers that there isn't sufficient energy in the flow to really apply Buckingham Pi to the results and assue dynamic similarity to the wind tunnel results.

Because of this, and the fact that test sections were typically small, it was common practice to pressurize the wind tunnel to increase the air density and push up the Reynolds numbers to numbers relevant to full-scale aircraft design.

Readers digest version: on a stunt ship aspect ratio has more to due with stall than the airfoil. Since all the airfoils we fly qualify as thick the stall will be trailing edge forward so the stall characteristics won't change much. In fact, once wings get thick enough they begin to stall before thinner ones due to the exaggerated turning of the flow required.

As I always say, we fly airplanes, not airfoils, and airplanes are much more complex than airfoils.
AMA 76478

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 02:49:19 AM »
It depends on what your MAC  and TvC is doing for you? ;D

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Readers digest version: on a stunt ship aspect ratio has more to due with stall than the airfoil.

This is evidence that Readers Digest is not a good place to learn aerodynamics.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
Chuck,  not being able to see 3D airflow, I'll take your word that the lift and drag stop increasing at high AOA.  Ordinarly stunt planes never get near the max lift/stall angle.  But I have seen quite a number of planes,  usually somewhat overweight, somewhat underpowered or with a bad engine run, literally fall out of the sky when the pilot tried to finish a pattern.

Since it often occurs in a wild maneuver, with full control, I suspect that the flaps stall completely, even if the wing doesn't, and the extra drag stops the plane, so it falls.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here