News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADVENTUROUS ?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ADVENTUROUS ?
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

Anyone interested in building a few adventurous F2B designs ?

Most are Semi-Scale. Most are proof flown,or so B..... conventional aerodynamically , only a politicly
  correct person would have any reservations as to there integredy.(I.E. incapable of rational analysis)

plans for most pommie W.W.2 stuff, also reworks of some older designs to produce more elegant interpretations of the original designers concepts ... 

Better ones are a 8 : 1 A.R. Mewgull & P-38, Hawkers,Spitfire,Floatplanes.
 The less scale  S?P are a lot more docile for 'park flying '
 Some of the fancier ones require 'Ones undivided attention' for some reason .

Im trying to get  some people building 'outside the rutt' of 'modified Noblers '   ! (oops) . S?P  #^ #^S?P

? ? ? ?                                                                             M. Spencer.

If someone asks about a particular 'Type' I will see if there Drawings here !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:18:42 AM by Matthew Spencer »

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: ADVENTUROUS ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »
Show some examples or a discriptive list of planes.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »
I would like to see the Mew Gull as a stunter.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Show some examples or a discriptive list of planes.

looks like i will be able to put some photographs on of the c.d., might be a few days, (2 to 8 is a few according to granny)

Hawker Tempest ,Typoon , Sea fury, (& racing versions) Hurricane Drawn , looking @ the Hunter.

Supermarine Spitfire All these except the S6B have Diheadral. Spit's in Merlin and Griffon Knose !

Yak (yakovlev ) Ive built a 7, but I might 'change' it to a 1, 9 & 3 is very similar.   . 40 in this

>51 (or .60) in most  Spit's two sizes .40 & .60, as is yak ,  yak 11 drawn as 'perestroika - cheqz mate'

for .51 @ 64 " span, the 7s built @ 54" odd, scale wing higly tapered planform for gust stability - fies very nicly,
  stable ? responsive , tight turn (squares )

Mew gull, Hawk speed six, Folkerts , . . . .blah blah, this is 'off the cuff', i will dig out a list and photos

Mig 25 , F104 , F4 E /F (built 3 ,not atrocious, will fly in 30 Kt. wind to investigate turbulance in parks with trees,
   if you quick on your toes  . . .  )with a .25 fsr. fist had .30 new one .35 max .
   Folkerts will handle 30 knots 2, H.P.40.                                                            M.S.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:12:22 AM »
I would like to see the Mew Gull as a stunter.

Jim
[/
quote] I built the Mewgull as a 72" span 650 sq. in 8:1 aspect ratio.

came out a bit heavy,but only to the point of showing flaws in manouvres.
a bit quick around the square eights and could be bounced out of the hourglass,
on a bad day . !    still required your  (undivided ? )attention,as these things do !

Merco .49 on 15 or 20 % Nitro 4-stoked through the F2B pattern impressivly.
but its a bit like a racing norton to fly,needs the correct inputs.
id used almost 20 gallons of fuel in the 2 years before flew it.

Walking 4 miles to the feild and its blowing 15 - 20 knots,you fly before you walk home !
didnt bother it a lot at all (the pilots another story)a bit like surfing i guess.

Theres a smaller one drawn,64 or 68 ",for a ST.46 or .40 F.S.R.,at 10 or 11 to 1 aspect ratio,
probably not idel for wind areas, but good in hot or high altitude areas.

there not aerodynamically the same,the smaller is for slow tight maouvres,
the larger takes most of Berrigers therys a step further,was 'a hoot' to fly when your focused.
a bit of a step into the unknown, and when the long narrow wing hadnt failed in the first 2 doz flights,
pretty enjoyable. she was a bit overbuilt,6 - 8 lb. timber and plenty of glue.

using an identical planform wing for bthe P-38, thicker airfoil for 'excessive' lift ,2 O.S. .35s,built light.

Both Mewgulls based on GEAXF ,Henshaws 'chopped' racing Mewgull,glides well too.

The smaller ones more 'ordinary' F2B aerodynamically,and would be tamer to fly,
2 kilo planes need the pilot to kick his heels in occasionally in wind !

large one'd build around 60 oz,                                                                                                               
  the smaller around 50oz, depending on timber and the inclinations of the chap putting it together.

M.S.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here