News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Leadout Guides should "all" be mounted in the wing tip..??  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hi all,

I'd like some comments, on the 'correct' location for Adjustable leadout guides,
noticed some ( read a lot) of designs show the LO guide mounted in the tip rib,
this is fine if the tips narrrow i.e 1" block tip etc, but other larger tips are in the
3" ~ 4" range this is a decent distance from that tip rib :-\
apart from the obvious line 'sawing' that could occur in this area, another thing is
how these 'loose' lines affect the models stability.
for mine I'd try & mount the LO guide as far as possible out in the tip itself , not
the tip rib
RJV Melb. Australia

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Adjustable Leadout Guides should "all" be mounted in the wing tip..??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Ty,

Dee Rice uses this technique which he says he got from someone else (could not remember whom)! It is light and allows no sawing. Once the ideal position is established a drop of cement can be used to make it permanent. The actual tip is three layers of plywood drilled to receive the eyelets. The middle layer (1/16 or 1/32) is only present in front and behind the adjustable area so the lines can be moved through the slot when the eyelet is pulled out of the tip. This follows the KISS principle!!!

John

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »
The moveable eyelets work fine. The first time I just looked at mine, they fell out, and I had only a rough idea what hole they came from. Moral of the story is to make them a snug fit, and a little drop of Ambroid (or Tarzan's Grip) will make sure they don't fall out. They tend to look a little ratty.

I kinda like the slider setup better, but put it as close to the exit as you can possibly manage. The one I'm flying now is recessed quite a bit, and it's difficult to see how much I've moved it, because the mark is out here and the screw is way in there.  H^^ G'day, Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »
Dee's method looks like the one on the Impact plans. It works fine.  I wouldn't have believed that it would work, but I saw planes with thousands of flights on them (and leadout position changed on most every flight) that successfully used them.  A shim made from a fragment of paper towel keeps them snug. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:39:49 AM »
I set my over/under LO adjustable guides at the extreme edge of the tip.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
I have used both methods and have never had a problem with the plug in leadouts. I have had the slider come loose twice in my humongous's. I think I need to use stouter plywood for the bracket as the slider bolt seems to come loose after a while. Thank goodness I had the sense to put a nylon locknut on the back side of the adjustment bolt so that at least it stayed captured in the slot.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
I think, not sure, that Al Rabe credited Lew McFarland with the plug in leadouts.  I don't like them because of inadequate building skills and that they don't give infinite adjustment like a slider does.  I agree that the leadout guides should be as near the tip as feasible.  I have built several airplanes with them a bit further in.  I think if you get sawing, it is a sign that your airplane is out of trim. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
The first time I ever heard of the plug in adjustment was a Bob Hunt video.  The HumBug had them and I don't beleive I will ever use them again.  Over on the other forum(SSW) there was a post on building wing tips with the leadout guides.  I copied it and use it on all  my planes now, even replacing the kit wing tip construction with it.  If I wasn't so lazy I would go look for it for you.  The same guy even shows how to make the slider.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
I used the slider type lead-out adjustment on my "Megas Aetos" Model Aviation April 1985 and won't use any other lead-out type. Works great, why change... :)

Roger Greene
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here