News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A twin engines tail feathers  (Read 2913 times)

Offline dennis lipsett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A twin engines tail feathers
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »
I'm just curious about something that I might need to redo. In production twins the rudder and fin is usually larger then a single engine model and I believe that the stab and elevator has increased area. If doing a twin engine variant of a single engine model do the surfaces have to be enlarged and what would be a reasonable percentage.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:53:58 PM by dennis lipsett »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A twin engines tail feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »
I'm just curious about something that I might need to redo. In production twins the rudder and fin is usually larger then a single engine model and I believe that the stab and elevator has increased area. If doing a twin engine variant of a single engine model do the surfaces have to be enlarged and what would be a reasonable percentage.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Dennis

In a full size twin engine aircraft, the vertical tail must be large enough to provide sufficient lateral stability and control for single engine operation, meaning the vertical tail must be able to handle the assymmetric thrust when one engine is out.  For our control line stunt models, vertical side area is good to a point but it is not necessary to be increased just because there is a second engine, assuming that both engines will be running during the flight pattern.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:44:39 AM by Trostle »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »
Thank you for the information. I was hoping that I didn't have to redo the back end.

Dennis

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
Thank you for the information. I was hoping that I didn't have to redo the back end.Dennis

Dennis,

It may be fashionable, for appearance sake only, to increase the span of the "back end."

The extra sq's could make a difference in performance?

That could be hashed over.

You didn't mention the model?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

(Clip)

The extra sq's could make a difference in performance?

(Clip)

Charles

Why?  And in what way?  What "difference in performance" are you looking for?  Yes, it looks like you are just wondering about the question, but why suggest it if you have no real technical reason for doing so?

Keith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
In a full size twin engine aircraft, the vertical tail must be large enought to provide sufficient lateral stability and control for single engine operation, meaning the vertical tail must be able to handle the assymmetric thrust  when one engine is out. 
I never knew that!

Good reply mate.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »
I did know that, but didn't consider it all that important for CL, and made the mistake of designing a twin-fuselage thing (for a couple of Norvel 061s) that had smallish, low aspect-ratio tail fins.  It flew great, up until the point where the inboard engine quit early for some reason.  It was still flying very nicely, so I pulled it up into a wingover.  About a 12 kt tailwind as it went over the top, speed dropped below Vmca, and all of a sudden the thing was in a flat spin, dropping straight towards me.  Minimal damage, luckily.  If I do another one I might rethink the tail surfaces.  ;)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
Ah, suggest not trying to do tricks with a CL twin with only one engine running. HH%%

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »
Ah, suggest not trying to do tricks with a CL twin with only one engine running. HH%%

Is not a flat spin a trick in itself?

(Sorry Steve.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
Well, I thought it was rather good, once I got out from underneath it!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
... speed dropped below Vmca...

I like that description.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
I like that description.
Do we need a 'Like' emoticon now?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
I never knew that!

Good reply mate.

Chris , here's a video of a Arthur Godfrey and an Eastern Super Connie flying on ONE engine.
The triple tails weren't for looks, but the were very efficient for dealing with asymmetrical thrust!
The engine out demonstration starts at time stamp 6:40

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Chris , here's a video of a Arthur Godfrey and an Eastern Super Connie flying on ONE engine.
The triple tails weren't for looks, but the were very efficient for dealing with asymmetrical thrust!
The engine out demonstration starts at time stamp 6:40

Thanks Doug.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »

There were several factors that went into the triple tail design of the Constellation.  Yes, there may be some advantages to multiple vertical tails in a multi-engine aircraft to deal with various engine out operations.

The Constellation had some design heritage from the P-38 Lightning.  The Constellation wing is basically an enlarged version of the P-38 wing in planform and airfoil  The P-38 had twin vertical tails (yes, it it obvious that there was no other way to do it on the P-38) so why not go on with the idea of multiple vertical tails on the Constellation.  But one of the main factors was the vertical height that would be required with a single vertical tail on this airplane.  The basic design for the Constellation was laid out before the war as a commercial venture (involving TWA and Howard Hughes).  At the time, the Constellation would have been one of the largest commercial airliners and even with the relative short vertical tails, it was taller than most airliners at the time and few commercial airfields/commercial carriers had hangars that could handle anything taller.

Keith

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »
There were several factors that went into the triple tail design of the Constellation.  Yes, there may be some advantages to multiple vertical tails in a multi-engine aircraft to deal with various engine out operations.

The Constellation had some design heritage from the P-38 Lightning.  The Constellation wing is basically an enlarged version of the P-38 wing in planform and airfoil  The P-38 had twin vertical tails (yes, it it obvious that there was no other way to do it on the P-38) so why not go on with the idea of multiple vertical tails on the Constellation.  But one of the main factors was the vertical height that would be required with a single vertical tail on this airplane.  The basic design for the Constellation was laid out before the war as a commercial venture (involving TWA and Howard Hughes).  At the time, the Constellation would have been one of the largest commercial airliners and even with the relative short vertical tails, it was taller than most airliners at the time and few commercial airfields/commercial carriers had hangars that could handle anything taller.

Keith

Bingo! It had to fit in the hangar.
AMA 76478

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here