News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new stunt design "era"  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A new stunt design "era"
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:27:38 AM »
Hi all,

Over on SSW Bob Hunt posted a look at the beginning of his new contra-rotating twin electric stunt airplane, and a look at his Canard just before final trim is applied.  A new era in stunt design is beginning in earnest from one of the greatest innovators.  Let's see, anyone for a twin contra rotating engine bi-plane canard pusher, whew!   %^@

Jim Pollock   S?P S?P S?P  H^^

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: A new stunt design "era"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »
>>Let's see, anyone for a twin contra rotating engine bi-plane canard pusher, whew!<<

~>
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »
Only if it's electric!  ;D  (and Bob is building it!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »
Have the Wright bros. already done that? :! :!

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »
Roger,

Answer is yes, but not an electric!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »
OK  It's not electric and Bob didn't build it HB~> HB~>

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »
I have a few ideas for a "new era" stunt design as I am sure others do also. However, none of them look like a traditional stunter. I am wondering if there was a new prooven design that had an edge over the current layout would people use it, or would we tend to stick to what we currently have because of the looks alone. It seems a "new era" design could easily turn into a flying "thing" rather than an airplane.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:20:06 AM »
I think it's never wrong to try something new and different.  If you can then accomplish the pattern to your satisfaction more power to you.  I think it's refreshing to see new things other than the latest mod to the Nobler!

Don Burke
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »
Don,

The reason I brought up the Which-A-Way was because with some tweaks and a better wing, I think it has potential to be a great stunt plane!  I just don't think I have enough time left at my age for that kind of experimentation.

Jim Pollock  :'(

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »
3rd time the charm???

I'm trying to post Tom Morris "Classic Three Views" of the Which-A-Way.  Hope it works!

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:26:01 PM »
Whew, it finally posted!   Now I can get to the meat of the situation.  The Which-A-Way has lifting stab/elevators both forward and rearward.  What kind of performance do you suppose it would be capable of if one were construted using an Impact wing (flapped) and better moments...  Hopefully not everyone is at VSC?  LL~

Jim Pollock   S?P H^^

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
Well, back from VSC, but off again to visit family tomorrow, just before O-dark-thirty AM.

One of the Adamisin brothers (Archie?) had an almost conventional-looking model at a Nats in the 1970's, with a stab/elevator fore and aft of the wing. Had a brief opportunity to see it fly: looked very good. Archie had severe tunnel-vision problems at the time, and Denny, at least, was always standing by when he flew. If Archie 'lost' sight of his model he couldn't be sure he could find it again. So, the plan was: he flew high and level (we can do that by feel, and combat fliers watch the other guy's plane a lot more than their own anyway.) One of the family would go out to Archie and take over the handle.

That's what they call an aside in Shakespeare... Has nothing to do with the model, but after that fine flying stunt family had tried it, I haven't heard of anyone else making a serious attempt. Which-a-way and Wild Goose (a canard) were earlier.

\BEST\LOU

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
Lou:
Thanks for remembering Arch's tri canard.  I flew it once, and actually liked it a lot.  It had a really good feel to the controls - nice turn and flattened out good too.  I do not think he built any other stunters after that (but stay tuned!) and I was "retired" so I never picked up on it either.  The layout is used on the full scale Piaggio Business plane.  As I understand it the canard is mainly used for trim...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
Lou:
Thanks for remembering Arch's tri canard.  I flew it once, and actually liked it a lot.  It had a really good feel to the controls - nice turn and flattened out good too.  I do not think he built any other stunters after that (but stay tuned!) and I was "retired" so I never picked up on it either.  The layout is used on the full scale Piaggio Business plane.  As I understand it the canard is mainly used for trim...

The Piaggio windtunnel flutter model that we built and tested. Sad to say, I didn't have enough time scheduled to do a proper glamour model paint job. (That thinned & force dryed superpoxy finish that you see was tacky' to da touch...even as we installed it into the tunnel section.
Gads...what is not to love about Piaggio aircraft.
 Soooo cool.   
Great sceen saver photos.
www.piaggioaero.com/en/media/p180media.php
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here