News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 60 span 51 size P-51 Mustang .  (Read 27374 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: 60 span 51 size P-51 Mustang .
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
 Plane is looking really cool. Just a thought, you might want to make a move from here now over to the Paint and Finishing section?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
Sadly , my paint is Acrylic Lacquer wheel paint - silver . The Dope ( from Aus. ) aintatall glossy . Sig Dope is 4 50 a QUART here !  >:( :o :P
& FINISHING is when youve finished putting in the tank & engine !

Somewhat discouraged , the next ones definately coloured tissue & NOT ten coats of Dope in One Day ! .  ;D

Outside that my advise there would be sand infinately , which is where the discouragement is induced .
150 Wt sandpaper is the fineest I find Sands , Therefore under ' Rough'n'Ready ' would be more the line as far as FINISH is concerned .  H^^

p.s. looks like itll be 60 Oz .  :( o.k. but 55'd be happier . G 51 up  my sleve if theres ' inadequacies , or the OS / Magnum FSRs or Irvine 40 RE amougst otheres , will bolt in .

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:05:05 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
RIGHt , the ' Clear ' is on . Two Pot ' NOR ' something polyurethane . And on a few other things .  :## Not t many sandflys etc in it , yet. we Hope .

the Cell Phone / Camera got a trifle damp ( some people might say it fell in the water bucket ) and seeme Kaput . So No Pictures for now .
Might drag it out saturday , as ' nearly 110 Hrs , to fully cure .Tossing up on the ' Known ' G-51 or the Como . Will take em both down . Same Mount .
a FSr's go in too . Any Impertanace and the G 51 will haul ass , as theres a comp on Snday . If I Go . :-\

Wheels / Lower Legs ( Still the tail wheel set up  :-[) Tank , rear cowl & a finalish Canopy TO GO .Will Weighem Again when Dry . Was looking like 61 Oz .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
WELL , First Few Tanks yesterday .

Full Schedule plus a few extra hourglasses & clovers , on first two tanks .

A 11 x 5 Rev Up wood , Whittle stock ST muffler - carved all the fins off & cut away the parrallel outlet ' pipe ' , like one I got , so saved a ounce ish .

Good Tracking , No Bounce or wobble . Grooves & responds well . Tracks Well & pretty steady on the lines .
Used it @ 68 ft odd of the .018 seven strand .

Motor Run was a little inconsistant , till I fitted the Tounge Muffler & a filter . Then it was hopeless - No Needle . A few turns should do something !
Inveted Cut , another bash - Turning to tight on to little handle , but not as tight as on more control , thus not as good .

Id put the tank in on syrofoam & packer . Finished @ 4 am !#* :P no sleep , one Hr Drive . So Glad to ' take it easy ' .

Back at the  Shed , the tank had ' picked up a rattle - dunno if it was from when I cleared the uni Pipe with a Ram Rod . Was a few mild goobers
in the remaining fuel . Run was 7:00 a touch lean on the first two , one lap lean to cut , with tank angled n tapered nose .
Baffled V edge 140 ?? cc , 11 mm pick up to rear & uni to pick up . Id filed a V in the Uni to snug the bore to the feed OD , for Min Offset .

Engine I'll drill fore matching ( ST 51 Dimn. Case Spraybar venturi , And ' in line ' the tank to that .
The COMOs dont seem to like swinging the lumber ( a 21/40 will handle a 12x6 unmuffled , even if it burns twice the fuel to do it , on NO NITRO.
Was using 10/10/10/ 70 ( I think )

Bleedy oil everywhere , after flight . Ive Tweaked a Merco Muffler . same Wt. 1.3 Oz as the Shaved ST one . Offset opposite so OVER the wing rather than dead center and oil Top'n bottom.

Plus its way more streamlined , Think the blunt nose ST with the weight inBd. holds the nose in a touch , into ' up ' manouvres , we shall see if
its still light/ hesitant as in Gyro Yaw there on occasion . Leading @ the handle obiviates that. Most Ships similar . See4ms to be the ' P ' factor .
Which I think only occurs under positive incedance relitive to flight path .

Take Offs as good as any . No tendacy to weave close to ( the deck ) .
Landing ,  :-\ Once She's down to about the ' hot bring it in ' speed , about 39 + Kts , she transitions to Three Point attitude , and kicks down
to about a 20 Kt floating glide . So ' A Transition ' there , where you think itll fall out of the sky with the speed reduction , but floats on for a Quater Lap . A light ' Skip ' and shes down , rollinf @ Three Point , If she had a Tail Wheel ( Um , thart got left out, so far )
Canopy is a no good enough one on with PVA , much of which came of with the masking tape , Thought it'd ' get lost ' But its Still on the Ship .

So , A ' dont touch anything ' part from a fine tune in the engine bay . Also Im going to drill 4 vents a side into the front Ex Pipe ' extractors '
for a bit of flow through ( thu ) a Engine Mt Lug Level . Warm down there ( the big smoke ) .
In the Genisis the Other Como 51 neddles on a 11 x5 buts dead on a 12 x5 , Tho ( Though  :-X) I vill try my 11 x 4 four blader .
Thinking theyre a ' 4 in pitch ' motor unless the cylinder timings lowered , as its 150 something .

flow Thru in the duct , can ' tape up ' to cross check any ' influances ' .

Cowl I'll regut Rear a ' V ' deflctor I think Flows Less than ' pressure cusioned ' straight out , the sides set up .
will try little drilled outlet covers , scale . on There . Some P 51s seem to have larger holes in the four rows
just aft of the lower angled cowl split Fwd , Where they come out !

Think I need a light plastic tail wheel and Its 16 g wire there, ( 0.0625 in. )

Well Pleased . think Itd be ideal for a good advanced & expert flyer . but its early days yet .

Need to get the motor run / airspeed ' locked in' and Go with the 70 ft 014 or 016 solids .

Must get a bucket of sawdust to get away from to oily hand slippy grippy trip / When the handle Wants to stay on your fingers its a big help .
Definately a fingers @ ends of Grip Trip rather than throttle it , responce . Requires refined delicate handling  S?P rather than bludgeoning . H^^

See if I can get it on filim next time out . 9/10 with -2 for the missing 1/10 th . ;) :)

Full Schedule plus a few extra hourglasses & clovers , on first two tanks .

A 11 x 5 Rev Up wood , Whittle stock ST muffler - carved all the fins off & cut away the parrallel outlet ' pipe ' , like one I got , so saved a ounce ish .

Good Tracking , No Bounce or wobble . Grooves & responds well . Tracks Well & pretty steady on the lines .
Used it @ 68 ft odd of the .018 seven strand .

Motor Run was a little inconsistant , till I fitted the Tounge Muffler & a filter . Then it was hopeless - No Needle . A few turns should do something !
Inveted Cut , another bash - Turning to tight on to little handle , but not as tight as on more control , thus not as good .

Id put the tank in on syrofoam & packer . Finished @ 4 am !#* :P no sleep , one Hr Drive . So Glad to ' take it easy ' .

Back at the  Shed , the tank had ' picked up a rattle - dunno if it was from when I cleared the uni Pipe with a Ram Rod . Was a few mild goobers
in the remaining fuel . Run was 7:00 a touch lean on the first two , one lap lean to cut , with tank angled n tapered nose .
Baffled V edge 140 ?? cc , 11 mm pick up to rear & uni to pick up . Id filed a V in the Uni to snug the bore to the feed OD , for Min Offset .

Engine I'll drill fore matching ( ST 51 Dimn. Case Spraybar venturi , And ' in line ' the tank to that .
The COMOs dont seem to like swinging the lumber ( a 21/40 will handle a 12x6 unmuffled , even if it burns twice the fuel to do it , on NO NITRO.
Was using 10/10/10/ 70 ( I think )

Bleedy oil everywhere , after flight . Ive Tweaked a Merco Muffler . same Wt. 1.3 Oz as the Shaved ST one . Offset opposite so OVER the wing rather than dead center and oil Top'n bottom.

Plus its way more streamlined , Think the blunt nose ST with the weight inBd. holds the nose in a touch , into ' up ' manouvres , we shall see if
its still light/ hesitant as in Gyro Yaw there on occasion . Leading @ the handle obiviates that. Most Ships similar . See4ms to be the ' P ' factor .
Which I think only occurs under positive incedance relitive to flight path .

Take Offs as good as any . No tendacy to weave close to ( the deck ) .
Landing ,  :-\ Once She's down to about the ' hot bring it in ' speed , about 39 + Kts , she transitions to Three Point attitude , and kicks down
to about a 20 Kt floating glide . So ' A Transition ' there , where you think itll fall out of the sky with the speed reduction , but floats on for a Quater Lap . A light ' Skip ' and shes down , rollinf @ Three Point , If she had a Tail Wheel ( Um , thart got left out, so far )
Canopy is a no good enough one on with PVA , much of which came of with the masking tape , Thought it'd ' get lost ' But its Still on the Ship .

So , A ' dont touch anything ' part from a fine tune in the engine bay . Also Im going to drill 4 vents a side into the front Ex Pipe ' extractors '
for a bit of flow through ( thu ) a Engine Mt Lug Level . Warm down there ( the big smoke ) .
In the Genisis the Other Como 51 neddles on a 11 x5 buts dead on a 12 x5 , Tho ( Though  :-X) I vill try my 11 x 4 four blader .
Thinking theyre a ' 4 in pitch ' motor unless the cylinder timings lowered , as its 150 something .

flow Thru in the duct , can ' tape up ' to cross check any ' influances ' .

Cowl I'll regut Rear a ' V ' deflctor I think Flows Less than ' pressure cusioned ' straight out , the sides set up .
will try little drilled outlet covers , scale . on There . Some P 51s seem to have larger holes in the four rows
just aft of the lower angled cowl split Fwd , Where they come out !

Think I need a light plastic tail wheel and Its 16 g wire there, ( 0.0625 in. )

Well Pleased . think Itd be ideal for a good advanced & expert flyer . but its early days yet .

Need to get the motor run / airspeed ' locked in' and Go with the 70 ft 014 or 016 solids .

Must get a bucket of sawdust to get away from to oily hand slippy grippy trip / When the handle Wants to stay on your fingers its a big help .
Definately a fingers @ ends of Grip Trip rather than throttle it , responce . Requires refined delicate handling  S?P rather than bludgeoning . H^^

See if I can get it on filim next time out . 9/10 with -2 for the missing 1/10 th . ;) :)

Listen Very Carefully. I will say this Only Once .

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:32:23 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2016, 05:43:46 AM »
Right ; theres one or two cameras in ' the Big Smoke ' ( Sydney ). Lousey Day , Rotten Air . Two ' off ' runs ' . Getting P#*^ off . Will Hold on the G-51 Till ive Tryed a 12 x 4 & a 11 x 5 .
Other Como 51 in the Genisis wouldnt needle well till on the 11 x 5 . Ive bored a  intake to .300 . May try my 11 x 4 4 blade , too . Seems to want to be ' on the boil ' .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2016, 05:46:14 AM »
You can see you cant afford shoes if you spend all your money on model aircraft .  :-X

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2016, 05:50:30 AM »
The supplies advice on the poly 2 pot I think applied to Floors or Boats . Have a bit of ' Rubbing Back ' to do . Got a couple of runs aft , after Id fiddled with the other screw thing .  :(
and the advised second coat means there several ton on , so about 66 Oz.  >:( Will have to rub back a ounce or three , and orgaize some ZZZZZS , up about 30 Hrs There . :P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2016, 05:52:28 AM »
Debateing wether to murder the photograper .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2016, 05:55:11 AM »
Said Chap . Obviously a Hare Crishner ( VD~) Cant see he hasnt got shoes as he is hiding his feet there .
Knacktually Liscenced Aircraft Engineer , But Turning wheels on Trains , and succhlike , nowadays .
When he is not purloining Genisises . >:(

Will tryn'n gettim to gettit on The Moving Pictures Film , and putton U Tube , needan account there . They say .

UPDATE , 23RD 12TH , nailed the G-51 in it .for the moment . +5 mm spinner gap . :( no excuses now & itll swing anything Id care to try . Wondring if itll over rev / be to slow on a 11 x 4 Four blade . We Shall see . !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:13:49 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
A THING in the thing that WORKS as a Phone , apart from the Battery , the reception . And ' things ' you get on it when it DOES work . ???

dunno how these got here ( Trying to find pictures I just too ) But good P 51 Cowling details - so some use to someone , perhaps . If I press enough things I MIGHT find my photos . ???

Wheel Wells / Undercarrage doors show up too . And the ' Spinner Backplate . If I get done a ' Custom ' one for the G -51 , with the shaft longer now , will actually match full size better .
perhaps .As in the Prop is not Right at the Back of the Spinner Assy. Full Size .

Looking through the  thing and comparing to a A43 plan of Als P 51 I downloaded , Ive Got the Same Size Wheels & Spinner . At the end of the day , this things more elongated ,
scale planform , and dont need moulded fuselage shells . Requires the same attention to detail regarding WEIGHT tho . Pity the initial Fuse got trashed . Wood was A1+ .
AND it coulda been airbourne early 2009 ! Realised the G 51 wontve been run since 2005 . This is totally APALLING . Need to be with a Flying Field ADJACENT . NOT a hour and a halfs drive .

Particularly if you forget something .  LL~ LL~ S?P. Bak to attempting to extract photos .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »
x

If you cant join em , beat em . Known Powerplant . Better put my money where my mouth is . dont Want To be messing with the plane ( They say its called trimming ) AND the motor at the same time . So its in . One or two drawbacks .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:51:33 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
y

Weight Diff was 1/4 or 1/2 Oz , from the Como . Or was it 1/10 I think .  Toungue will go on if I want C G Aft .  Custom Backlate ( or A LATHE ) Reqd. Maybe theyll be one on someones front lawn theyre throwing out .  :!
Bewildering Variety of props to suit this , figuring around 4 1/2 pitch . 2 3 & 4 Bladers await trials .

looks like ive dipped out , as far as This Goes . a 2 1/2 Veco . Be a match for a Miss R J etc , variations ad infiniteum .  Bother .

Looks like its inadvertantly optimised , with the external air down the head / case joint crevas at the sides , there . Hopefully .
Same Width opening , lengthened @ rear with corners altered from diameters radius .  :) LL~

NOW im wondring about pulling the motor back 5 mm , or could FSR it , as Contemplated at Drawing Stage . Built Light a good .46'd swing it . Most of the Lumbers my usual 7 - 11 Lb Cu Ft Stuff . Has 3 Oz Excess clear, at the moment .
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:08:42 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
!#*^ another camera. Again . Will see if THIS works ! ( mind the bucket  :-X)

Highlighting the MERCO Muffler fitted , the grot finish (  The Two Pot Finishing Epoxy I threw on the resprayed cowl needs more than 24 Hrs before you pour fuel on it . If the Feed Line Splits at the pipe .)
and a ALUMINUM no less bicycle nipple on the bicycle spoke cowl fastener , untightened . If I take the pics in the dark ( Garadge ) its just under the limit . The Sun seems to enhance the pixies quantities .
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:10:36 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2017, 12:23:51 AM »
Bit of a brain at half mast flight , begins around 2:00 / 2:20 . Didnt prime the sucker . Not entirely distracted All the Time , so you can get a bit of an idea how it flys , anyway .

Advertise Here

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.
Tags:

Advertise Here