News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:37:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4" Bellcranks.  (Read 15785 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
4" Bellcranks.
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
Ok, I have read about fliers liking 4" bell-cranks but what is the big deal verses 3" ones?

I accept that the action might be smoother and the mechanical advantage slightly higher but if you are used to 3" cranks why change?

And at what model size do you NOT use them?

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 4" Bellcranks.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
More leverage allows for slower and more accurately placed (felt) controls. They're most useful in competition stunt planes doing the tricks for points. Sport planes don't need them, since they fly fast and get flicked about recklessly. At least I like to fly them like that. Great relief to jerk the controls on a sport plane and make it dance. Round appearing circles and 90 degree (looking) corners not an issue.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
Typical 35/40 sport planes around 42" don't need 4" cranks. Besides on birds that size it's a pain to fit them in.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »
Ok, I have read about fliers liking 4" bell-cranks but what is the big deal verses 3" ones?

The best thing about 4 in bellcranks is that you lower the forces on the pushrod 33%.  Reduces wear and tear on the controls and give you the option of slowing the controls down for more precise flying.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
I've been using handmade wooden 4 inch bellcranks on 1/2A and up to TD 09 stunt airplanes.  My thinking is that they make the controls less sensitive.  And, yes, it is a trick to get them into a 6 inch chord wing. 

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
These are just estimates, bvut here's the principle as I see it:

2" bellcrank with 90 degrees total movement.
3" bellcrank with 70 degrees
4" bellcrank with 50 degrees.

The small bellcrank loses mechanical advantage toward the extremes of throw and the output looses most of its fore-aft vector at the extremes.

The bigger bellcrank operates with the output in a near-linear range.  Futhermore, a given amount of slop (compliance) in the linkage take A LOT of motion away from a tiny bellcrank, but very little from a bigger one.

Of course the thing has to fit in the model without hogging out too much structure.  There have been countless successful mdoels with 3" bellcranks before the 4' fad hit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:13:35 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Ok, got it now!
Very good point about the linear control staying longer with a larger crank.

Thanks guys.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
The best thing about 4 in bellcranks is that you lower the forces on the pushrod 33%.  Reduces wear and tear on the controls.

Can you explain that?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:02:31 AM »
Can you explain that?

Can do easy.

The goal is to transmit a certain amount of torque to the flaps and flippers.

If you use a 2" bellcrank and a 1/2" horn, compared to a 4" bellcrank and a 1" horn, the big bellcrank will move the pushrod twice as far, but only need half the force to develop equal torque.

Attached is a sketch I did several years ago to try & 'splain this point.  You might assume that 4", 3", 2" and 1" bellcranks are being evaluated with an estimated one inch-pound of torque required.  The sketch agrees with Phil's 33% differnce between 3" & 4".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:47:52 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »
Bellcrank size has nothing to do with pushrod pressure, only the length of the control horn. Assuming you can get the travel desired, the bellcrank can be any reasonable size. Going from a 3 to 4 inch crank simply reduces the amount of "pull" on either line needed to steer the model.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
Oh goody, a can o' worms again!

The way I see it here is that I want the leverage ratio be the same regardless of the actual size of the crank used so that the 'feel' is the same between models.

Now if I have a 3" crank with say a 1" arm I get a 3:1 ratio.

If I proportionally scale that crank to so that the arm centres are now 4" apart the arm is now 1.33" and the ratio stays the same.

The only difference here is that quoted ratio is only for dead neutral but when moving away from neutral the larger crank drifts away from that ratio at a slower rate.

The angular deflection with the larger system has a greater percentage of its torque going into control movement and less of it simply pushing or pulling against its pivot points.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »
I thought I read here somewhere that a 4" bellcrank is closer to the grip size of a closed hand, resulting in a movement ratio close to 1:1.  The goal is to reduce sensitivity and afford more precise control.  It makes sense to me.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
.....Going from a 3 to 4 inch crank simply reduces the amount of "pull" on either line needed to steer the model.

One consequence of this is that if line tension is reduced due to wind or whatever, a 4-incher allows you to maintain control of the plane with less line tension than a 3-incher requires, which might be of interest to both stunt and sport fliers. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
I don't EVEN want to chime in about expocranks! ;->

L.

"I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." -Jimmy Hoffa
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »
Chris, to your post #9...

Yes, the bellcrank and horn proportions should be the same, to have the same 'feel.' That also apples to the line spacing at the handle. I won't offer any "ideal" line separation. That is a matter of feel for each of us, and for the model we're flying.

Many handles used to day have a front frame allowing us to widen or shorten the distance beween the lines right there at the handle. Using the same line separation you're comfortable with for a 3" bellcrank would feel a lot slower for a 4" belcrank. Sure the ratio can be calculated easily, but that's just a number. Feel doesn't result from numbers; it is more direct and personal. We can explain the change in feel with numbers, yes, but not the experience of it.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Another worm...

What about the distance from the BC pivot point to the push rod pivot?

Ward-O  H^^
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Thank you, Ward!
Finally someone asks the right question: not all 4" cranks are equal.
There are at least two ways to slice this ... assuming the elevator and flap horn lengths are kept constant for the purposes of the comparison.
1) If the short to long arm length ratio is the same as a classic 3" crank, then you enjoy better linearity, especially when it comes to the difference between UP and DOWN throw curves, but no improvement in sensitivity.
2) If you run a shorter short crank ratio, then you get to fly with wider line spacings at the handle, and you back away from the Netzeband-limit problems. There is no improvement in linearity.

5" cranks anybody?  S?P
Regards,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
Thank you, Ward!
Finally someone asks the right question: not all 4" cranks are equal.
There are at least two ways to slice this ... assuming the elevator and flap horn lengths are kept constant for the purposes of the comparison.
1) If the short to long arm length ratio is the same as a classic 3" crank, then you enjoy better linearity, especially when it comes to the difference between UP and DOWN throw curves, but no improvement in sensitivity.
2) If you run a shorter short crank ratio, then you get to fly with wider line spacings at the handle, and you back away from the Netzeband-limit problems. There is no improvement in linearity.

5" cranks anybody?  S?P
Regards,
Dean P.

Fascinating.  I was aware of the sensitivity factor in relation to arm length ratio, but the linearity vs. sensitivity compromise is new to me.

5" cranks sound like a great idea.  With correct control arm lengths, would they allow less compromise than 4-inchers?

Also, Dean, would you like to say a bit more about UP/DOWN throw curves? 

Great stuff.  Thanks.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 12:46:07 PM »
Fascinating.  I was aware of the sensitivity factor in relation to arm length ratio, but the linearity vs. sensitivity compromise is new to me.

5" cranks sound like a great idea.  With correct control arm lengths, would they allow less compromise than 4-inchers?

Also, Dean, would you like to say a bit more about UP/DOWN throw curves? 
To really know how this works, dust off your geometry and trig knowledge from high school (you remember -- you were 15, and supposed to be studying the curves on the board, not the curves on the girl next to you).

Don't forget to take the nonlinearity of the handle-to-line interface into account, or the effect of the leadout spacing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
We tried doing that, and it's too hard.  Somebody should write the formulae for control linkages.  For extra credit, figure out how to do Igor's flap mechansim with a four-bar linkage. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
To really know how this works, dust off your geometry and trig knowledge from high school (you remember -- you were 15, and supposed to be studying the curves on the board, not the curves on the girl next to you).

Don't forget to take the nonlinearity of the handle-to-line interface into account, or the effect of the leadout spacing.

Gosh, that had never occurred to us! Amazing that we stumbled along doing things at random all these years without complete disaster and appropriate technical instruction.

Note endless SSW posts and several SN articles on this topic.

Brett

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »

Tim,
As W.C. Fields would say, "Ahhhh, yes, I remember it well."  Mr. Euclid and his pals were hard put to compete with the songs of Sirens. Wasn't there an early seventies girl-band called The Sirens?  
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »
We tried doing that, and it's too hard. 
Not to mention that when you're done you still have a pile of flight data that only partially supports (and possibly partially contradicts) what the math is telling you.
Somebody should write the formulae for control linkages.
Blech.  That's starting to sound like work.
For extra credit, figure out how to do Igor's flap mechansim with a four-bar linkage. 

Post a link to Igor's flap mechanism?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:11 PM »
  Gosh, that had never occurred to us! Amazing that we stumbled along doing things at random all these years without complete disaster and appropriate technical instruction.

Note endless SSW posts and several SN articles on this topic.

Brett

Most of what I've seen has been bogus, intuitively obvious, or some linear combination thereof.  Has somebody written down the equations for stunt plane control linkages?   I remember Serge taking a stab at it awhile back.  So did I, but it was too difficult.  I looked on the web, figuring that there would be some general mechanism stuff and maybe a Java application.  There are some mechanism programs, but people want actual money for them. 

But back to 4" bellcranks.  I recently figured out the leadout paths for 4" bellcranks in several wings.  Accommodating a big bellcrank travel sure requires big slots in wings and the left wing spar shear web.  I wonder if a bigger bellcrank with less travel would actually be easier to fit into a wing.  As with the mechanism problem, I would like one of you people to figure it out for me for free.  No fancy Greek letters either, particularly the Worm.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
I would say the amount of non-linearity for the small amount of control travel we use is insignificant. And of course the controlling entity is also non-linear, plus it possesses a tremendous ability to compensate for such anomalies.
Don
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:40:50 PM by Don Hutchinson AMA5402 »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Another worm...

What about the distance from the BC pivot point to the push rod pivot?

Ward-O  H^^

I was running under the assumption that since this was never part of the original question it would never have to be considered.

A 3" crank with a 1" 'BC pivot point to the push rod pivot' gives a ration of 3:1, simply scale that same crank up to 4", use the given ratio and the arm comes out at 1.33"

The ratio (whatever it is doesn't really matter) should be a constant, the variable here is the distance between the lead-out centres.

And it still seems to me that the ONLY thing in favour of a dimensionally larger crank setup is that it operates closer to linear fashion - for longer - than a smaller setup.

Now is a linear setup more desirable over exponentially decreasing one?  Given that the human body is never linear in its output I am not sure why approaching a linear system would in any way be desirable.

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
One consideration is not so much linearity or its lack, but asymmetry: the amount of up vs. down with equal handle displacements. For some common  geometries and component placements this can vary some between zero bellcrank rotation and some predetermined deflection, like say +/- 30o, were you set your flap or elevator displacements equal. I played around with this on a calculator furnished to me by Larry C., who had received it from someone else. I don't remember how large the asymmetry ever got, but it was interesting that it wasn't always worst for our "uncorrected" rod/horn angles. The calculator seemed valid, but did not account for all the adjustments we can make, like tilted bellcranks. I think I posted some graphs on SSWF, but someone who should have made more effort sort of discouraged me from following up. 'didn't need the grief. I'd think that the larger bellcrank might lessen that problem as well as easing the "Netzeband wall" problem. I can say from experience though that finding room in small stunt wings is a challenge. 3.5" is better for my latest (well 'late' has a dual meaning here).

SK

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
I can say from experience though that finding room in small stunt wings is a challenge. 3.5" is better for my latest (well 'late' has a dual meaning here).

Hi Serge,
Strangely enough my proposed Freebird diesel powered stunt models are going to use exactly this size crank and I am sure that it will work out just fine.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »
One consideration is not so much linearity or its lack, but asymmetry: the amount of up vs. down with equal handle displacements. For some common  geometries and component placements this can vary some between zero bellcrank rotation and some predetermined deflection, like say +/- 30o, were you set your flap or elevator displacements equal. I played around with this on a calculator furnished to me by Larry C., who had received it from someone else. I don't remember how large the asymmetry ever got, but it was interesting that it wasn't always worst for our "uncorrected" rod/horn angles. The calculator seemed valid, but did not account for all the adjustments we can make, like tilted bellcranks. I think I posted some graphs on SSWF, but someone who should have made more effort sort of discouraged me from following up. 'didn't need the grief. I'd think that the larger bellcrank might lessen that problem as well as easing the "Netzeband wall" problem. I can say from experience though that finding room in small stunt wings is a challenge. 3.5" is better for my latest (well 'late' has a dual meaning here).

SK

Hi Serge,
This is where I get lost.  As a descriptive question, rather than a mathematical one, if there is Up/Down asymmetry with a centered bellcrank and 90-degree rod/horn angles, what is the source of the asymmetry.

Thanks.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
This is where I get lost.  As a descriptive question, rather than a mathematical one, if there is Up/Down asymmetry with a centered bellcrank and 90-degree rod/horn angles, what is the source of the asymmetry.
Thanks.

Kim-

Well, I probably should answer this in another thread - we're getting a bit off topic here, but I'll risk this one post.

I think the best answer is that the angle is 90o only at zero bellcrank deflection and that the angle changes a different amount per degree of deflection in each direction, in a complicated way, since the bellcrank horn/rod pivot moves laterally as well as longitudinally and the flap horn attachment point moves vertically and longitudinally, changing the rod's angle relative to just about everything.

I just opened that control-geometry program and used the smallish dimensions for my plane (which tend to exaggerate the effects, if you use the larger plane's bellcrank and flap horn sizes, with a shorter rod for a smaller plane). The differences in up vs down handle or bellcrank movement needed to achieve equal up and down flap deflections for plain perpendicular (un-biased) flap horns increased from 00 at 00 flap deflection to about 9o at 45o flap deflection. That shows that the rod length would have to change with bellcrank rotation, for symmetry without flap horn offset.

It turns out that you can use flap horn offset to choose a symmetrical flap deflection for one particular value, but that it will be asymmetrical for all other flap deflections - greater or less. Characterictically, the asymmetry will be relatively small (needing more down input than up) between neutral and your chosen deflection, but then increase rapidly (needing more up than down input) for greater deflections. At extremes, the asymmetry diverges rapidly in one direction or the other. Interestingly, the ideal flap horn bias comes close, but does not make the rod and flap horn perpendicular to each other at neutral. Tom Morris' 7o  angle seems good for the large stunters, while 9o  was better for mine.

Others:

As usual, if I'm hard to understand or incomplete here, chalk it up to lack of writing skill, but remember that this is why graphs were invented. We can have fun without them and do pretty well, but if we really want to know why or how things work, they help a lot. The offending post, which showed all this convoluted grammar in graphs is here:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=328113&mesg_id=328113&listing_type=search

SK

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
I want a circular 4 inch bell crank with a gear on top to mate with a gear rack on the end of the pushrod to give linearity at the bell crank.  How come no one has taken up this wonderful idea? Z@@ZZZ

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
Serge,
Very interesting.  I think some of this is starting to sink in.  By the way, the writing skills seems just fine to me, and this is a complicated subject to write about.  

In the attached post you say, "...raising a standard level bellcrank probably helps regain some symmetry."  What if, rather than raising the bellcrank, which would not be a fun (or maybe even practical) installation, you attached the rod to the bellcrank using a raised post (the Primary Force ARF uses such a post, tho it's not a flapped plane) so that the flap rod is parallel to the fuselage centerline in side view, and the rod/horn angle is 90 degrees with no horn bias?  Fore and aft forces trying to move the post out of vertical might have to be dealt with (the Primary Force's post is fairly wide at the base).

You also say, "Basically, the driving question reduces to, 'What control angle asymmetries become noticeable?'"  Good question.  Is there a signal to be heard within the noise, or is it just a pea under the mattress (to mix metaphors), making the issue one mainly of  theoretical interest?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:41:16 AM by Kim Mortimore »
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
You may not want linearity.  Look at Igor's plane, second in the 2008 world champs.  You may not even want symmetry.  I flew another airplane that came in second at a WC.  It had significantly asymmetric control.  Think of hinge moment and the relationship between loop radius and line tension at constant handle setting.   
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
Most of what I've seen has been bogus, intuitively obvious, or some linear combination thereof.  Has somebody written down the equations for stunt plane control linkages?   I remember Serge taking a stab at it awhile back.  So did I, but it was too difficult.  I looked on the web, figuring that there would be some general mechanism stuff and maybe a Java application.  There are some mechanism programs, but people want actual money for them. 

I believe that both John Miller and Larry Cunningham have written pretty extensive SN articles on the topic.

Brett

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
What if, rather than raising the bellcrank, which would not be a fun (or maybe even practical) installation, you attached the rod to the bellcrank using a raised post (the Primary Force ARF uses such a post, tho it's not a flapped plane) so that the flap rod is parallel to the fuselage centerline in side view, and the rod/horn angle is 90 degrees with no horn bias?  Fore and aft forces trying to move the post out of vertical might have to be dealt with (the Primary Force's post is fairly wide at the base).

Kim-

I think there might be some problems with the bellcrank being more torqued to twist of rock. Maybe a better approach would be to do something like Brian Hampton did: run a separate arm off of an upward-extended bellcrank center bearing. Keeping it light with strong Materials (CF?) might be a challenge, but it could otherwise be kept simple, if a tube were sleeved over a typical 1/8" bellcrank support shaft, with the bellcrank in the middle and the arm raised. This would restrict any rocking motion of the bellcrank more than usual. Remember though that there still might be a more optimal height than that for a 90o juncture at neutral.

You know, I'd think that an Excell spreadsheet might be used to compute this without the need to actually solve any equations or combine complicated expressions. I'm pretty burried now wih a couple other things that would also seem a waste of time, but I think this can be done. meanwhile, I've dug up an image of the input diagram fro the software by Mr. Herbron that I used for those graphs scanned to fit the <50Kb limit on SSWF. Maybe it will be legible. Note from the input window that some of these bellcrank rotations are larger than practical to get the really large deflections (It 'only' takes 38o to get 30o flap deflection with those dimensions.).

SK
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:41:00 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
You may not want linearity.  Look at Igor's plane, second in the 2008 world champs.  You may not even want symmetry.  I flew another airplane that came in second at a WC.  It had significantly asymmetric control.  Think of hinge moment and the relationship between loop radius and line tension at constant handle setting.  

I had a plane that felt okay controlwise for Down, but for Up it was dead around neutral, with gradually increasing response as it moved away from neutral, until it was very sensitive at full throw.  Made me crazy (or crazier).  I sold it to a friend (with full disclosure) who is so accustomed to and adept at adjusting for all manner of oddball ooblygooblies that he didn't even notice and used the plane to quickly make significant strides in his pattern development before the plane started to wear out.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could install dials that would allow us to adjust each parameter independently?  I guess learning about cause and effect is next best.  I have emailed Larry and John asking for SN article dates.  John says sometime in the early '90s for his SN article.  I see Larry has an earlier post on this thread.  

Serge,
I was writing this while you were posting your latest, so will take a closer at it.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
A bunch of far-out and unnecessary ideas here, which basically hover around the real reason for using 4" bellcranks.  It is because we are used to lots of wrist movement in order to get the usual 30 deg. of elevator/flap throw!  And that's it!

So it's really about what we are used to.  If you are used to "quick" controls, you can still fly a smooth pattern, because your muscles are "trained" to move less.

I watch the plane when I fly, not my wrist.  My wrist moves in whatever way required to match the plane's path with the ideal path I have stored in my memory.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »
No, it's about aerodynamic hinge moment. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »
Having said that, I can't justify it.  I should do some ciphering.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Howard, Serge, Floyd, Chris, Brett (...forget anyone? if so apologies...) I'll be  brief.  (Yeah, right...)

Study Serge's diagram. The bellcrank plate is mounted parallel to the span and the long axis of the model, which creates much of the difference in response either way from neutral. (Which is small, and we've been been able to manage it, by feel, ever since...)

A way to reduce that geometric "error" is at the flap horn, where the line from the pushrod connect to the flap hinge, at neutral, should be perpendicular.  This still has that forward and back discrepancy from the 'flat' bellcrank plane of rotation.

Now, what if you mounted the bellcrank plate tilted so it and the rod from bellcrank to flap horn were parallel at neutral? It won't stay that way over the full bellcrank rotation, of course. Perhaps put the rod parallel at about 5° to 10° each side of neutral?  That should minimize ONE distortion...

Another view of things? View the model from the top. (Never considered this view? Hmmmm...?)

In the top view, and for the same reason we'd want the flap pushrod to make the least up and down deviaton, wouldn't we want the least  'off-axis' sideways motion?  ...The flap hingeline is almost always perpendicular to the fuselage long axis, or for a swept hingeline, the angles away from pependicular are the same to each side.

If we must put the flap horn on the fuselage centerline, THAT determines where we should mount the bellcrank pivot (in the top view.) For the inboard bellcrank-to-flap-pushrod connection (UP line forward) we'd need to mount the bellcrank pivot further outboard. Or, if we MUST put the bellcrank pivot at a certain place, THAT determines where the flap horn goes, across the fuselage width. The same +/- 5° to 10° offset used for the side view can help keep the center (neutral) 'off-axis' motions small.

Summing up:

1) In the side view of the fuse, tilt the bellcrank mount so that it and the bellcrank-flap pushrod are at -or near- parallel at say +/ 5° to 10° from neutral?

2) In the top view, 'center' the bellcrank-flap pushrod's sideways swing the same way.

I have gunned up a spreadsheet documenting the deviations using this "aligned" bellcrank/flap horn idea. A monster which takes me several minutes to 'get back into' every time I consult it... Anyway, the deviations caused by different bellcrank-out and flap-in arm radii are very small from neutral to ~30° each way, then they start to diverge, gradually but increasingly. (The graphs of the deviations impress me!)

Final thought: If we keep the "response relationship" the same with a larger bellcrank arm radius, we have to increase the flap and elevator horn radii to preserve that relationship. It will 'feel' slower because we have to move the handle further to turn the bellcrank to comparable angles. Effort applied to the handle will decrease, because of the longer lever arms, but to turn the flaps and elevators to the same angles, the bellcrank must turn the angles we used with 3" bellcranks. Torque depends on force and arm length. Any change in one demands a compensating  change in the other.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
I spent a couple of days on my new plane figuring out this stuff by brute force with Cad.  I got the slanty bellcrank and the slanty slots in the wing laser cut.  I probably should figure it out all over, now that I decided to reverse the sign of engine torque and may shift the CG.  I'd sure like to see that spreadsheet (after it's documented, of course).  I'm not smart enough to make my own. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »
Now that I think about this, I think there's a business opportunity.  It should be pretty easy to attach some clinometers to flaps and elevators and make a handle mover with an angle encoder, then record all three with my LabJack.  For example, I could put this rig on Doug Moon's airplane and charge him $1 for a plot of his control response.  Then I could charge about a dozen other guys $5 each for the plot of Doug's plane. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
I'll give you $10, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »
Howard and Russell,

1) Document it? Ouch!!! It is in Excel 2007, compatible to 97-2003, and minimally protected - just to prevent inadvertent corruption of formulae. No accesss password - go through the simple UNPROTECT SHEET steps to access the formulae.

2) If I ever do, it won't be for sale. Only copyright-asserted against commercial use without my agreement.

3) After about 30 years since I first laid out my handle theories, I now accept the thinking of Brett, Ted F and a few others on the position of the handle w/regards the model in flight. I may have been more limber back then, but today I find that holding a "half-curl" position - elbow bent up to allow equal up and down handle movement - has definite advantages. I no longer have as much up-flex from my wrist, so the tilt upwards from elbow to wrist compensates.

Old dog, gotta learn new tricks... It was much simpler, in the mid 1950's,  when I learned what I know about doing CL flight. The U-Reely was heavy. Allowing my arm, elbow and wrist to form a relaxed catenary with the lines to the model worked -still does - BUT...

With my old approach, the relaxed, about waist-high, handle let the model carry some of the weight of the handle. ...Like riding a bicycle, the less you think about what you are doing, the less likely you are to lay it down, painfully, on the pavement... You think what you want the model to do, and the instinctive, learned, motions instruct the model to go there.

Anyhoo, using the  XY and XZ plane aligned linkage approach can be done with CAD, or even with a straight-edge and compass, and get much closer than the "standard" pushrod setup.*

*(Defined: Surface horns perpendicular to surfaces; severe upward pishrod slant from (flat-mounted) bellcrank to flap horn; severe down psuhrod angle from above the flap chordline to below the elevator chordline at the elevator horn.)That kind of offset is used in RC aileron linkages to get DIFFERENTIAL angles!

Intentionally!

We don't (supposedly) want that. We want equal response both ways from neutral, so we don't have to take a 1/10th second correction that may be needed.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »
Why wouldn't it work to just bend the pushrod to go vertically up to the horn height and then horizontal to the horn?  Brace the 90 degree bends to avoid flex.  Or do I not understand the problem?   

___________|                 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
Now that I think about this, I think there's a business opportunity.  It should be pretty easy to attach some clinometers to flaps and elevators and make a handle mover with an angle encoder, then record all three with my LabJack.  For example, I could put this rig on Doug Moon's airplane and charge him $1 for a plot of his control response.  Then I could charge about a dozen other guys $5 each for the plot of Doug's plane. 

Dear Brother Howard,

Since, in actuality, my ubiquity is substantially a nihilism, I will have to leave all the advanced mathematics to you scientific guys.  I only taught "beginner math".

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Russell,

The crucial relationship in the control system layout is the straight line from eye to eye: e.g., from the bellcrank's flap pushrod hole to the flap horn's pushrod hole. If you mounted a 'transfer shaft' to raise the flap pushrod to the height of the flap horn hole you create a new pushrod driving 'eye' in a better location for linear response. You have to be careful doing that  - it has to be strong enough to carry the loads and stay in the right position and "shape."

Whatever the shape of pushrod, the force acts from eye to eye. Think of an "in-line" model: a flapped model with the wing and stab chord lines at the same height...  The cables used as pushrods in RC don't have any easily understood eye-to-eye pieces, or perhaps just the locations where the cable enters the sheath, then where it leaves it, relative to the servo at one end and the control horn at the other...

* the bellcrank is typically flat, on the rib centerline.

* the flap horn is above the rib centerline, where the hingline is.

* the elevator horn is below the stab/elev centerline, where its hingeline is.

The flap pushrod has to tilt up to meet the flap horn's pushrod hole. The elevator pushrod is most often driven from the flap horn, above the flap hingeline. The elev pushrod has to slant down to enter the elev horn hole.

From the side view, the flap and elev horns rotation is visible. The bellcrank's is not. Viewed from above, the bellcrank's rotation is visible, but flap and elev horn rotation is not.

Angling the flap horn 'point-to-point'  - bellcrank pushrod horn placed where the line from it to the flap hingeline is at right angles at neutral flap - helps quite a bit. The 'golf-club' or 'cobra' shaped horns provide a rough approximation of putting the pushrod tangent to flap horn pushrod hole tangent to the arc it traces as flaps are deflected.

Similarly, where the elev pushrod hole in the flap horn is placed should be angled to fit the slant down from there to the elev horn's hole. And the elev horn's hole should be angled so that this pushrod is tangent to the arcs they trace at neutral elev. These arcs follow pushrod travel pretty closely around neutral, with a deviation growing modestly for 10° to 20° each way from neutral. The discrepancy gets significantly worse from a bit under 30° either way, on up.

The bellcrank output hole motion causes that end of the pushrod to move sideways across the fuselage; the flap and elev horns don't shift in that direction.  The bellcrank is usually mounted flat - in line with, or maybe parallel to, the rib centerline. That affects the 'linearity' of pushrod  motion; the geometry when the pushrod hole moves forward is diffferent from when it moves back. Not much, particularly near neutral... Which is why I suggested tilting the bellcrank to be parallel to the (straight) pushrod eye-to-eye line at neutral. That makes the error almost disappear.

Now, the thought of shifting bellcrank pivot, and/or flap horn position across the fuselage width... If the pushrod, at neutral, is slanted - seen from above - that will also introduce some non-linearity of response. Further, if the bellcrank output hole is tangent to bellcrank rotation, and inline with the flap pushrod there, ALL bellcrank rotation adds an error, slight but increasing with rotation angle.

Since the error is very small around neutral, I suggest moving the bellcrank so that the pushrod hole "slices" an arc 5° to 10° 'below' its arc.

What'd-he say??? 

Try it this way: mount the bellcrank so the flap pushrod is in-line with the flap horn when the bellcrank is rotated that 5° or 10° either side of neutral. I think this extends the "very linear" rotation range. The sideways motion is very slight (Cosine of angle * arm radius) at small angles, and this shift of the bellcrank put part of the error on the 'other' side at neutral, then it crosses 'just-right' before continuing to grow with more rotation angle.

Similarly, it should be a good idea to do the same with the flap and elevator pushrod holes...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
Since, in actuality, my ubiquity is substantially a nihilism, I will have to leave all the advanced mathematics to you scientific guys.  I only taught "beginner math".

Huh?  I was proposing to measure control systems experimentally: no math required.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
Why wouldn't it work to just bend the pushrod to go vertically up to the horn height and then horizontal to the horn?  Brace the 90 degree bends to avoid flex.  Or do I not understand the problem?   

___________|                 

This might work if the bottom two legs are fixed to the bellcrank and the joint between the vertical leg and the one to the right has a pin joint, but it might not be the lightest way to do it.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
OOOOOhhhhhh boy here we go again.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »

___________|                 

2 words ...  heavier and  flex  ....  both are not really what ya want

Randy

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
Kim-

(It 'only' takes 38o to get 30o flap deflection with those dimensions.).

SK

Serge, is this an Excel spreadsheet and if so, can you send it to me with working explanations?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
Serge, is this an Excel spreadsheet and if so, can you send it to me with working explanations?

Yes, it's a spreadsheet by a correspondent of a friend. I'm not sure whether I'm free to give it away. I'll try to check with my source. Meanwhile why not take this off forum via an e-mail, and I'll see what I can do.

SK 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
I decided to make my own spreadsheet, having come up with a method not requiring me to be smart.  I started a new post in Sparky's "Engineering" category
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Can a push/pull arrangement solve the geometric inconsistencies of a pushrod system?

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
Can a push/pull arrangement solve the geometric inconsistencies of a pushrod system?

Only if the flaps horns are circular, then the push pull cables will automatically align with the tangent points, which is what corrects the geometry. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
Would this be more or less Rube Golberg than the other suggestions?

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
Wait a minute. We didn't consider how the change of incidence in the control surfaces may differ in effect as it is moved through the angle shifts in control. For instance will 17 degrees of flap incidence exert half the lift augmentation of 34 degrees incidence. But I guess the aim is to deflect the flap/elevator up/down in equal proportion to handle movement in order to equalize feel at the handle as it relates to the airplane's turn inside and out. Is there an algorithm programed into fly by wire systems that make a non one to one relationship between stick moves and control deflection? What about grand prix cars. How have the racers worked out the ratio of steering wheel to the front wheels. Is it a constant ratio or does it change in relationship to the angle of input. Slop in the elevator. Haven't some folks advocated a dead zone near neutral.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Wait a minute. We didn't consider how the change of incidence in the control surfaces may differ in effect as it is moved through the angle shifts in control. For instance will 17 degrees of flap incidence exert half the lift augmentation of 34 degrees incidence. But I guess the aim is to deflect the flap/elevator up/down in equal proportion to handle movement in order to equalize feel at the handle as it relates to the airplane's turn inside and out. Is there an algorithm programed into fly by wire systems that make a non one to one relationship between stick moves and control deflection? What about grand prix cars. How have the racers worked out the ratio of steering wheel to the front wheels. Is it a constant ratio or does it change in relationship to the angle of input. Slop in the elevator. Haven't some folks advocated a dead zone near neutral.

I spent an hour typing out a great reply Dennis, but it disappeared into the great maw of the internet.

I'll try to remember what I said, and re type it.

Dennis, I don't believe we've met in person, so though I'm inclined to consider your post as legitimate, a small part of me feels like you may be jabbing a few of us with a stick though. For the sake of this discussion, I'll try to answer your questions as I understand the answer to be. H^^

"Wait a minute. We didn't consider how the change of incidence in the control surfaces may differ in effect as it is moved through the angle shifts in control. For instance will 17 degrees of flap incidence exert half the lift augmentation of 34 degrees incidence. But I guess the aim is to deflect the flap/elevator up/down in equal proportion to handle movement in order to equalize feel at the handle as it relates to the airplane's turn inside and out."

What follows is a lot of verbage to say yes, that is the aim.

I'm going to assume that you mean angular rotation, rather than incidence in your question. It's easy to get the two mixed up, but they really are two different things.

Though the change of rotation with the control surfaces, and it's affect on the planes turn quality is important,  it's not really the total issue we are trying to correct with our "Corrected Geometry'.What is more important, is the ratios between the bellcrank,flaps, and elevators. These ratios work best when they remain as nearly constant as we can get them throughout the rotation. a moving variable within the constraints of one of these points in our control system will cause asymmetry with in the system. Eliminating such variables will result in an easier, and more repeatable turn regardless of the amount of input needed.

Over the years, after being involved in literally hundreds of drawings, or redraws, of OT, Classic, and Modern stunt designs, I've seen tremendous differences in asymmetry, if you please, in control systems. One of the worse, involved a well known Classic Stunt design, a Nat's winner for the designer pilot, but not always so well behaved for the average pilot/builder in todays time. After checking the controls, I found that if built as shown on the plans, the controls had asymmetry problems, as well as ratio problems, with a difference of about 7 degrees between up and down, as well as 3-4 degrees difference between the flap and elevator, up and down.

In the classic era, we simply learned how to fly them this way, but today we'd find it difficult to switch to different planes, like flying Classic, and PAMPA classes on the same day at a meet.

"Is there an algorithm programed into fly by wire systems that make a non one to one relationship between stick moves and control deflection? What about grand prix cars. How have the racers worked out the ratio of steering wheel to the front wheels. Is it a constant ratio or does it change in relationship to the angle of input."

The simple answer is yes. The problem, and the solution, is related to your question about Grand Prix cars and the steering arrangements. I'm sure you and others are aware of the fact that when turning, the inside wheel of a 4 wheel vehicle must turn and trace a smaller diameter, than the outside wheel. It also has to do this regardless of the radii of the circle, or whether or not the radii remains constant through out the turn.

The same thing happens in our bellcrank to flap link, and like the solution for a turning car, we attach our push rod at the 90 degree point, relative to the pushrod.This is "Corrected Geometry" in it's simplest form. As shown by Lou, and others, there are other items we can factor in to reduce additional small errors, but, the 90 degree attachment of the bellcrank to flap horn pushrod is the major contributor to getting rid of asymmetry in the control system. The smaller errors are basically lost in the noise of most systems.

Further more, with modern control systems that use a elevator mounted above the flap chord line, leads to simpler layouts for the flap/elevator link.

It's possible to layout this link to dispose of nearly all errors produced, but I believe it's more of an exercise for those of us who enjoy figuring this type of solution. Larry Cunningham published an article in Stunt News some years ago, describing "Magic Geometry" He discovered an angular relationship between the flap elevator pushrod, at neutral, and the extremes. When this relationship fell with in certain variables, the ratio between the flaps and elevator would even out, "magically", corrected.

Since the greatest amount of asymmetry comes from the bellcrank/flap link, I've come to believe that once that is corrected, there's little to be gained, realistically, by finding the solution to possible flap/elevator asymmetries. Modern designs, when checked, usually fall with in a 1 to 1.5 degree error, and is usually within the noise. The solution in my case, often has the elevator pushrod attaching to the flap horn 90 degrees relative to the wing chord, and the same 90 degrees relative to the stab chord at the other end.

Modern practise advocates the use of Ball Links through out the control system. This gives us a very tight, not sloppy, and accurate control system. It will react linearly, and instantly to control inputs. It's now much more important to use the right incidences, and get alignments correct to make a plane into a 'point and shoot" competition machine.

So, your last question takes on new meaning when it comes to modern stunt designs and thinking.

"Slop in the elevator. Haven't some folks advocated a dead zone near neutral."

My own personal experiences, from back in the day, through even today, is that some people suggest slop in the elevator as a solution for hunting in level flight, upright, and inverted. Back in the day we noticed that our planes seemed to fly better as they aged. Maybe we also were getting used to them, but our older planes did not seem to hunt as much as brand new fresh ones.

When one of these older planes went in, we usually found, post mortem, that the hole for the elevator end of the pushrod, had worn and had slop. when we purposely made the holes sloppy, those modified planes also hunted less. Not wondering why, we were only kids anyway, we simply knew that it worked.

Fast forward to today. Modern stunter design has progressed, along with our collective education. We've learned why things happen, and how to design in the corrections needed to help prevent problems in the first place. Because of this, many of us relegate building slop into the elevator to sport planes, or perhaps to planes that we wouldn't consider placing high in competition with. It works, but it also adds just a slight sluggishness around neutral, a hesitation at intersections, that can present a lack of crispness, or authority, a pilot needs to compete at the higher levels.

Now, the design solutions have been discussed on these various forums for years. I will mention them, basically in order of importance as I perceive it to be.

First three elements to consider are design, power, and practise. Design and power could be interchangeable.

Power must be appropriate for the job. If you're serious, you need to save up and get a serious power plant. If you're fighting the engine, or motor, you cannot make the best of your practise.

Speaking of practise, if you're serious, use a coach, if at all possible . I know many who have practised their mistakes and now perform them perfectly.

I saved design for last, even though it should be either first, or second.

If you're serious, the design you select to fly should have the capability to perform with the best out there. It should have the right "numbers". further more, If you use modern, tight, not sloppy controls, then you need to use the proper geometry with in that control system. When you do so, other aspects of the planes design will come into play. How do you keep the plane from hunting? You should search out the threads and discussions on using downthrust, out thrust, positive incidence in the stab. flap elevator ratios become important and vary with weight and flight speed.

Learn to build light, straight, and only strong enough. Over building only adds weight.

There's more, but your a smart person, you'll find it. Last but not least, don't be afraid to ask questions. Listen carefully to the answers you get. Some may not apply to your goals.  H^^

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
Very clear. Thank you. Yeah. I jab a little, but I'm also sincere and got into this geometry issue, since it's about getting planes to turn inside/outside with a similar feel and response. A critical performance parameter. My flying skill has gotten to a place where I can tell how critical this is. Took a while. I found your explanation very informative. My math skills ceiling(ed) at 6th grade. Spread sheets are cuneiform to me. (Cuneiform: earliest known form of writing, Sumerian, incised on clay tablets. Lots of numbers to keep track of sales.)   :o

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
Dennis jabs professionally.  It is to his credit that not much jabbing spills over into these discussions. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 11:24:28 PM »
The simple answer is yes. The problem, and the solution, is related to your question about Grand Prix cars and the steering arrangements. I'm sure you and others are aware of the fact that when turning, the inside wheel of a 4 wheel vehicle must turn and trace a smaller diameter, than the outside wheel. It also has to do this regardless of the radii of the circle, or whether or not the radii remains constant through out the turn.

There is something that might add a mess to whatever y'all are talking about.  When a four wheeled vehicle with two wheels steerable, front wheels we'll say, and vehicle is traveling "under control"  (not in a skid), the tire paths will always have the front wheel describing a path that is "inside" the rear wheel.  When the car begins a slide, skid, or "drift", the rear wheel's path will be "inside" the front wheel's path on the side to which it is turning.  This visible when the tires leave marks on the pavement. 

Will this in any way translate to the control system geometry being discussed? ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »
There is something that might add a mess to whatever y'all are talking about.  When a four wheeled vehicle with two wheels steerable, front wheels we'll say, and vehicle is traveling "under control"  (not in a skid), the tire paths will always have the front wheel describing a path that is "inside" the rear wheel.  When the car begins a slide, skid, or "drift", the rear wheel's path will be "inside" the front wheel's path on the side to which it is turning.  This visible when the tires leave marks on the pavement. 

Will this in any way translate to the control system geometry being discussed? ???

I'd have to disagree a bit. For hard cornering, a front drive car will behave as you describe, but in a drift or slide initiated with throttle on a rear wheel drive car, the car will usually oversteer, with the rear tires following a larger radius (rear tracks outside front tracks). Some understeering pigs have been built, and of course manufacturers have tried their best to produce understeering cars for public use, in the belief that less-skilled drivers will be more likely to maintain control.

But as you hint, this is not related to bellcrank size, but rather to c.g. placement and flap size/deflection. Flapless planes "oversteer", while excessive flaps cause "understeer" (fuselage pointed out of turn). The 4" bellcrank question has been answered a couple times already: it reduces line tension necessary to overcome hinge moments, may reduce asymmetry in control surface motion, and can be used to create less sensitive controls. Howard is currently addressing the first consequence in his computations on the engineering board.

SK

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »
Hi Serge,

If I was using a diagram, I would have been more clear.  Example: The path of the front tires will be to the left (inside) of the rear on a left hand drift.  Does that make more sense?

Yep, I have seen the stop action pictures of a model "skidding" through a square corner.  The control input has to be done at a height several feet about where the pull out is anticipated.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »
Don't forget about the squeegee effect where a wheel may be steered into a turn at a given degree but the surface of the tire is still rolling pointing at a lesser degree due to tire flex.  It would seem that since model aircraft operate with much less traction in their environment than a tire on pavement that the squeegee effect would be more prominent. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »
Don't forget about the squeegee effect where a wheel may be steered into a turn at a given degree but the surface of the tire is still rolling pointing at a lesser degree due to tire flex.  It would seem that since model aircraft operate with much less traction in their environment than a tire on pavement that the squeegee effect would be more prominent. 

Especially if the tires are radial construction versus bias ply.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
Kingfish, I do believe der's a whole lotta jabin' goin' on. #^

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:56 AM »
If I was using a diagram, I would have been more clear.  Example: The path of the front tires will be to the left (inside) of the rear on a left hand drift.  Does that make more sense?

Bill-

Yes , I agree.

SK

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »
Circular flap horn, no bellcrank, no problem?  Has anyone tried this on a flapped model?  I know there have been control lines run directly to elevator horns in the past, but this seems pretty smooth on this extremely crude mock-up. I'm thinking it might be necessary to use very close handle spacing which could lead to worse problems. I'm a mechanic, not an engineer, as you can see.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
I do have a pertinent question pertaining to 4" BCs.  I have a circular one made by Golden State Models.  it is what Ted was using in the Imitation and Excitation (possibly others?) .

What effect does the circular BC have in relation to linkage geometry, loads, etc??

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »

What effect does the circular BC have in relation to linkage geometry, loads, etc??

Bill

It only affects the geometry specific to the Bellcrank itself. It maintains the 4" moment arm, at all angles of rotation. It also solves the problem Howard was solving for with his off angled arms. with the one in his illustration.

These are small possible error points, that I tend to consider to be in the noise. The greatest error comes from the flap pushrod being mounted at 90 degrees to the wing chord. Solve that big error, and most of the small ones really do fall into the "noise".

Using a round flap horn will correct the error, but I'm not sure about illiminating the bellcrank. I know it's been done in times past, but there's a reason it didn't really catch on.

It's possible that the entire flight load ends up at the flap horn, and the two pulley wheels where the wires make the turn. Stress applied at those wheels could overly stress the leadout wire. Another possible problem seems to be maintaining the loeadouts in the pulley wheel.
 H^^

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:25 PM »
A guard will keep the cables on the pulleys (the horn needs one also).  Yes, the pulleys and the horn will take the full flight loads, I don't have the skills to determine how the loads would be divided, but it won't be on a single bellcrank pivot.  Someone here can surely determine the force vectors, but I would just mount the whole contraption on a plywood plate and secure it to the wing center section. I have a biplane with exposed controls, I should build an experimental installation.  If it doesn't work out I can put it back to a standard system, assuming that it survives the test flight. Unless it has been tried and proven to be a poor idea, of course. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
Go for it Russell, If nothing else, the project may answer a few questions. Let us know how it all works out for you.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »
If I do it, I'll take before and after pictures.  The biplane doesn't have flaps so it would just be a circular bell crank rotated 90 degrees.  Now that I think a little more about it, there would be no reason to do the pulleys on a non flapped airplane.  Just added complexity.  With flaps, it does away with the bell crank and the flap pushrod by adding 2 pulleys - about a break even.  The only possible advantage would be to eliminate the pushrod angularity but I don't think I'm a good enough flyer to tell the difference.  Those who have seen me fly will agree. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
You could have a separate wheel on the bellcrank for driving the control surfaces.  Then the whole load wouldn't be on them. This sounds like a cool project.  Keep us informed.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
Please correct if I'm wrong on this thought - the longer the bell crank to flap pushrod, the less the angular effect?  It really isn't much of a factor on a non-flapped airplane.  A circular bell crank on a non-flapped plane would dispose of most of the angular difference if I see the problem correctly.  If the reasoning is right so far, then on a flapped plane, run a pushrod from a circular crank to the elevator and drive the flaps from the elevator horn.  An extra few inches of flap pushrod would have a negligible weight penalty and no extra parts. Am I crazy?  Don't ask Dan.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
OK,  The circular bell crank maintains its (4") leverage through out its range of motion.

I have seen many "triangular shaped" horns on the flap connector wire.  The pushrod from the BC connecting to the front edge of the horn, the elevator push rod connecting to the rear edge of same horn.  This allows some correction for the push rod angularity in the vertical axis.  The Tom Morris arms are "kinked" to afford much of the same corrections.   The vertical arm from the elevator connector is also "tilted forward" in the vertical axis for the same reason. 

So, what actual differences would be "felt" by substituting a circular BC in place of a "standard" BC while applying either method of angular correction to the vertical control horns?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
A good question Bear. Personally my opinion would be little to no difference that could be felt at the handle. I suppose that Ted is the one to answer this question since he flew several ships set up with the circular bellcrank.

You will notice the difference with the bellcranl to flap horn link corrected. It's subtle, and the plane seems to fly and track easier.  H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
Thanks, John.  The curing of the angles between the pushrods and horns has become a no brainer, even if I cannot do the exact math! LL~  the old "TLAR" is not bad in that case. 

With any means of trying to correct that problem, the effects are noticeable.  I simply try to shoot for a 90* angle, at neutral, between the horn and pushrod.  Using ball joints at the BC and a stand off is a step in the right direction, I think.  I also try to line up the pushrod, at neutral, to be inline with the each connecting end when viewed from the top.  This means offsetting the BC mounting pivot slightly inboard or outboard.  Make sense?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
How about some graphs, guys?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
Circular flap horn, no bellcrank, no problem?  

I can see problems arising with this system.

Losing line tension, guard or no guard could result in the line either coming out of its travel or simply binding up. The whole internal section of the lines should be kept under pre-load to avoid this happening and how do you design that in?

The lack of adjustability, now has does one change the rates of this system when its in place? Perhaps stepped pulleys like that used on lathes?

And the difficulty of manufacture -
1. Two small guide wheels and their attendant ball races, posts, guides and fixing points,
2. Larger wheel, again probably with ball races, axial loads and so on.

Its going to cost 10 fold what a normal bell-crank/ flap horn setup would be and exclude 99% of home builders to boot.
Maintenance must be considered also as it has moving and flexing parts.

And the all up weight and smoothness of travel (would this system allow the controls to fall under its own weight)?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
"I can see problems arising with this system.

Losing line tension, guard or no guard could result in the line either coming out of its travel or simply binding up. The whole internal section of the lines should be kept under pre-load to avoid this happening and how do you design that in?"

I think the line could be kept in place if the assorted pulleys were shielded well.

"The lack of adjustability, now has does one change the rates of this system when its in place? Perhaps stepped pulleys like that used on lathes?"

I don't see any good way to change rates other than at the handle. A stepped pulley would work but it would get really heavy. 

"And the difficulty of manufacture -
1. Two small guide wheels and their attendant ball races, posts, guides and fixing points,
2. Larger wheel, again probably with ball races, axial loads and so on."

The small pulleys can be bought in one form or another, these ones are door hardware.  The large one is certainly more difficult.  I think you would have to fabricate it.

"Its going to cost 10 fold what a normal bell-crank/ flap horn setup would be and exclude 99% of home builders to boot."

I bet it would cost 20 times more than a standard setup with a 4 inch nylon bellcrank unless you did all the work yourself. The 10 fold cost estimate is probably very conservative.

"Maintenance must be considered also as it has moving and flexing parts.

And the all up weight and smoothness of travel (would this system allow the controls to fall under its own weight)?"

I don't think maintenance would be a problem, but weight sure would be.  The large horn pulley would be the main offender. 

This is starting to look like a bright idea that isn't so bright after all.  How many years have we been doing just fine with a simple bellcrank and horn system after all?  I think I should go out to my shop and do some more work on my new build, the one with the standard control setup. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
How about some graphs, guys?

X_______l________Y
               l
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Sorry, best I can do..........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
Chris to your post #81, and Russell to your #82... (I think those were the numbers...)

Circular bellcranks have been used in CL racing models at least since the 60's and 70's. They allow the leadouts to run in a very small holes or slots in the thin wings - no need for clearance fore and aft as the bellcrank "arms" rotate... These bellcranks are very flat pulleys - a  smaller diameter disk sandwiched between two slightly larger disks of, say, 1/16" aluminum. To keep the leadouts in the bellcrank's groove diameter, the lines were bound on with fine wire, in several places beyond the needed rotation angles. The leadout also went through a bend like the neutral adjust on a HotRock handle, to keep it from slipping away from the set 'neutral.'

Pushrod hole was in the cheeks of the bellcrank, so it acted exactly like current bellcranks... Not like another pulley system...

So, much of this HAS been done, for special uses, at least. Ted Fancher did try a circular bellcrank a while back. Wish I remembered more of what he said about it.

Russell -

Actually, you could lay your larger pulley down "flat", and do away with the 90° turn-around pulleys... So, upright or flat, your 'simple breadboard' of a system may need only one addition: Mount a second pulley on the leadouts-pulley to operate only the control surface 'cable runs.' The flying lines can be secured as in racing models, and won't slip or fall off.

Cables can stretch a bit. They'll need some tension pre-load to absorb that. It will affect only the control-surface-system pulley set-up. Even adjustability might be possible: Say the cabling wraps twice around each driving or finally-driven pulley, AND has some form of lock to secure your neutral... Easing the pre-load tension and the position-lock on whichever surface needs adjustment could let you 'slip' that pulley and control surface as needed...

That might take a bit more access to the interior of the model than the small "inspection panel covers" some of us use to adjust ball-link position on a control surface's horn...

As far as response profile -it will be linear, according to the ratios of the driving and driven pulleys. If the interior pulleys' bearings run free under the cable pre-load, there's no reason that control surfaces wouldn't drop from their weight alone. The hinges between wing&flaps and stab&elev may still be a limit on that.

\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »
Going all the way back to replies #65, #66 and #67...

Sleepy, I learned what you called the squeegee effect is actually called the 'slip angle' between the tire and its path on the road. Bias-ply tires - anyone else old enough to remember them? - flexed to much greater 'slip angles' than steel belted radials. Any "loss" in cornering may be due to the lower slip angles radials tolerate. The rubber compounds and other factors make that question less important these days...

And, I think, we went through that whole section of this topic with little or no use of the terms oversteer and understeer.

Classic definition: When an understeering car 'loses it' and goes off the road, it goes front-end first; an oversteering car goes off rear-end first.

The original GM Corvair did not oversteer IF THE TIRE PRESSURES WERE CORRECT. But nobody wanted to run 12-14 psi fronts and 26-28 psi rears... The original VW Beetles oversteered lots, and there wasn't tire pressure guidance to correct it. Buyers just understood that they oversteered, and learned to love it...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
I think I've decided that you don't need a circular bellcrank for stunt.  If you have one, though, you'd probably want to have round control horns ("quadrants"), too, as Russell plans.  I plotted up the geometry I had CADed for my new plane using pretty much the method John described.  John's method works nicely.  I only had to clock the bellcrank output arm around a tad to even up the control response between up and down.  From the picture, you can see that the relationship between leadout movement and flap movement is pretty linear, whereas the bellcrank movement is right curvy.  A round bellcrank would have cost you mechanical advantage at the control extremes, where you need it most.  I can imagine some inaccurate corners.  

It's not clear on the drawing because the caption moved, but the X axis is the length of forward leadout between the wingtip and the bellcrank.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
Leverage is a good point - the farther the deflection the more effort required?  At the same speed anyhow.  A standard bell crank is also far simpler.  Just buy the parts and install them carefully. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
If the interior pulleys' bearings run free under the cable pre-load, there's no reason that control surfaces wouldn't drop from their weight alone.
I would have to disagree mate, the reason that a tensioned cable system is not likely to drop under its own weight is due to the force needed to flex the cable every time it rounds a pulley as compared to simply hinging around a point in a normal system. Any cable will have resistance to deformation.

Its much like comparing a belt drive to a roller chain drive, except here there is only one roller's friction to over come.

And honestly, beyond a nice theoretical exercise I can't see the point since the human wrist that provides the input motion in not linear anyway and the further your wrist moves away from its natural center the harder it becomes angle it further ( just ask anyone who does JuJitsu to confirm this one for you) but perhaps a circular system inserted at some point could limit angular error instead of compounding it further.

Cheers mate.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
I'm going to go with Howard's theory of loosing mechanical advantage at the ends of the control travel, just when it is most needed.  No circular cranks for me in the near future, at least.  I made another low inverted pull out this afternoon so it would seem that bell crank choices are the least of my problems. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
Russell,,
them thar' low pullouts do tend to change priorities dont they! ~^
The other factor to consider in this whole exchange,, none of the minutia is relevent if you dont build a straight airplane, with a free, smooth control system.
accurcy in construction as well as ease of achieving that accurecy can sometimes be more relevant than ultimate perfect geometry,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 08:59:52 AM »
All good points, Mark.  All I did was break a prop so I was fortunate this time.  High tec control systems won't compensate for pilot error when I try to fly in the lower half of the sphere.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
I'm going to go with Howard's theory of loosing mechanical advantage at the ends of the control travel, just when it is most needed.  No circular cranks for me in the near future, at least.  I made another low inverted pull out this afternoon so it would seem that bell crank choices are the least of my problems. 
Wouldn't having a fast rate at the end of flap or elevator movement encourage a stall at the very time when you don't need one?

I would like a slow rate for the first and last few degrees of movement with the middle section fairly fast by comparison - but how do you achieve that?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
That sounds interesting.  I'll send you something, but it might not help.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
I would say the amount of non-linearity for the small amount of control travel we use is insignificant. And of course the controlling entity is also non-linear, plus it possesses a tremendous ability to compensate for such anomalies.
Don

Shucks, Don.  All we need are circular bellcranks driving circular horns with push/pull cables combined with a circular/axis pivoted handle driven by a pilot who drives that handle's axle with a bolt surgically attached to the pivot point of his wrist and everything will be linear and then everyone would take turns winning the Walker Cup...or not.

Also, it seems to me the whole thing is being discussed "in reverse".  Shouldn't we first determine how much airload is on the movable surfaces and then build our system backwards from there?  That's the only significant work being done by the whole magilla.

Ted
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:12:19 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Ted, your point is excellent, but so is Don's, no?

We can accept that the airloads on the control surfaces increase as they move away from neutral?

Wth the 'traditional' bellcrank and horn parts, we get a strange combination - The leadout arms and the flap pushrod radii do not change, so their mechanical advantage stays the same. BUT... their effective radii, relative to the directions of the loads applied to them, get smaller as they rotate away from neutral.

Example: 4" bellcrank with 1" radius to flap pushrod. At neutral and at 45° rotation. At neutral, the leadouts are 2" away from bellcrank pivot. Pull is at right angles to the line between leadout holes. Flap pushrod radius is 1" and the force it passes through from the bellcrank is at ~right angles to that bellcrank 'horn.'

Good so far?

At 45° bellcrank rotation, pull forces haven't changed direction, but the leadout arms radius to those forces has foreshortened by the Cosine of 45°: 0.717.. So, the 2" arms appear to the pull force to have reduced to 1.41..." each. The flap pushrod hole radius is also foreshortened by the same proportion (the bellcrank is one solid piece, right?)

So at 45° either way, the bellcrank can only pass about 70% as much force as at neutral into the pushrod system. (The flap driven radius also foreshortens - THAT ratio doesn't change.) To meet the same, or increasing control surface airloads, we need to put more force into the system - from the handle. (Netzeband's Wall, anyone?)

A circular bellcrank is a bit different. Presuming the flap is pushrod-driven from a hole in the bellcrank 'face,' THAT pushrod hole radius foreshortens just as in the 'traditional' setup, BUT the "leadouts" radius does not. There IS an increase in mech adv... (If the flaps/elevators are driven from spools on the bellcrank, the same -full- pull force is not affected by the trig numbers.

Neither of these examples means anything about the control forces we meet at the surfaces. These describe ONLY the relationships of forces input and output at the bellcrank. Maybe Igor B has some numbers, or approaches for specific models to find numbers for the force increases? These would have to be carefullly tailored to each idividual model, wouldn't they...

But, since we expect airload feedback force DOES increase as the surfaces move away from neutral, and the further from neutral, the greater forces passed to the pushrods, and on back to the bellcrank. This is a separate thing from just the internal relationships of input and output at the bellcrank.

And, Don is spot-on that the initiating factor for control surfaces movement is still that trainable, very adaptable, flexible, loose nut at the back of the handle...

IMHO...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »
I would say the amount of non-linearity for the small amount of control travel we use is insignificant.

That's about what I concluded after calculating the effect of following John's recommendations, particularly if you look at flap and elevator response to leadout travel.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »
Also, it seems to me the whole thing is being discussed "in reverse".  Shouldn't we first determine how much airload is on the movable surfaces and then build our system backwards from there? 

I think so.  Given a scheme to manipulate hinge moment and a tool that actually tells you the rate of change of control surface position with leadout travel, you'd think a guy could make a pretty good stunt plane control system (Yes, PW, if he ever gets a stunt plane built).
The Jive Combat Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here