News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leadout Position?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Leadout Position?
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Where to put my adjustable leadout guide, since I didn't seem to make it with much range?  (15/16" range, 1/2" spacing, in a 9" chord wing+flap).

I'm thinking put it so that when the guide is centered on the design CG I have 1/4" of forward movement with the rest toward the back -- or should I put it so that it's all the way forward when it's at the design CG?  (I certainly don't anticipate the CG ending up much further back than my intended point, if at all).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Leadout Position?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
Where to put my adjustable leadout guide, since I didn't seem to make it with much range?  (15/16" range, 1/2" spacing, in a 9" chord wing+flap).

I'm thinking put it so that when the guide is centered on the design CG I have 1/4" of forward movement with the rest toward the back -- or should I put it so that it's all the way forward when it's at the design CG?  (I certainly don't anticipate the CG ending up much further back than my intended point, if at all).

I am not sure I understand, but center of the leadout guide will always behind the CG. Typically, for a 40-69 sized piped plane it's around 1-1.25" behind. Use LINEII to figure out the natural sweep angle, and put it there.

Brett

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
I make my track assembly 3 in long with a 2 inch total possible movement of the slider, and generally have leadouts 1/2 to 3/4 in apart.  I wouldn't anticipate any problem installing one in a 9 inch chord wing.  Maybe you and I are looking at the measurements differently.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
I make my track assembly 3 in long with a 2 inch total possible movement of the slider, and generally have leadouts 1/2 to 3/4 in apart.  I wouldn't anticipate any problem installing one in a 9 inch chord wing.  Maybe you and I are looking at the measurements differently.
I sorta copied the old Top Flight adjustable lead out guide from memory, and I sorta just made the longest track I could given the jig that I used (which happened to already have a couple of holes drilled in it).

So I could make a new track.  Ick.  I took Brett's suggestion to use LineII (except that it's LineIII now), which is very informative vis-a-vis where I want the leadouts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
I make my tracks out of 1/8 square hardwood strips glued together. Three in. long strips top and bottom,  Half in. short pieces between on either end.  Gives me an accurate and smooth 1/8 wide center hole.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
I make my tracks out of 1/8 square hardwood strips glued together. Three in. long strips top and bottom,  Half in. short pieces between on either end.  Gives me an accurate and smooth 1/8 wide center hole.
Oh, that's too easy.

I milled mine on a 3-in-1 machine.  Why?  Because it was there!  It sounds like -- even given that the plane is smallish -- I should make a longer track.
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
Oh, that's too easy.

I milled mine on a 3-in-1 machine.  Why?  Because it was there!  It sounds like -- even given that the plane is smallish -- I should make a longer track.

Yep

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:29 AM »
I do the same using 1/8" square spruce.  Gives you a nice 1/8" slot for 4-40 clamp screw and brass eyelets.
The slider plates are made from 1/16" phenolic.
My latest also has vertical adjustment as suggested by Frank McMillan in recent Caudron 9 article.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the idea of the 1/8th sqaure material.  Still learning soomething everyday. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »
I used to make my own sliders, which always worked correctly.  Now, a very nice one is available from Brodak.  No more "home brew" sliders for me.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »
I used to make my own sliders, which always worked correctly.  Now, a very nice one is available from Brodak.  No more "home brew" sliders for me.

Floyd

HI Floyd,

Me too, but, I still make one if I don't have any in the drawer! LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here