News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "REFLEX AIRFOIL DESIGN...ala' Dave Gierke's NOVI 4?"  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
"REFLEX AIRFOIL DESIGN...ala' Dave Gierke's NOVI 4?"
« on: November 07, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »
REFLEX AIRFOILS FOR STUNT?
After seeing Marvin Denny's beautiful NOVI 4 example on Stunt Grunt of the day...I still am very interested in so many of Dave Gierke's innovative ideas pertaining to stunt concepts.

The very last model that I built (almost finished) was Dave Gierke's beautiful NOVI 4 with that drop dead beautiful Eliptical wing and reflex airfoil design. The only modification that I made was to utilize a V tail configuration and to eliminate the rudder. (ala Adaminsinski'clan leading the way)

Although I gave this model away at the final priming and finishing stages, I have always been left for a question about that REFLEX AIRFOIL of Daves?..

JUST HOW EFFECTIVE ARE THEY FOR CLPA?

Then after talking to my co-worker aerodynamical wizzzzzzard' engineering friends, I kinda feel that Dave was just on the verge of finding something of real honest ta' goodness MERIT MARVEL by helping increase the effectiveness of the flaps by keeping the airflow over the way closer to the wing? etc???

HEY...YOU AEROSTUNTGRUNT LURKIN' STUNT MODEL DEEEESIGNEROOS?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "REFLEX AIRFOIL DESIGN...ala' Dave Gierke's NOVI 4?"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
Hey Shultzie!

I too have been very fond of the Novi 4.  Heck I'm old enuf to remember seeing the ORIGINAL - absolutely drop dead gorgeous.  I've usually thought the -3 was his best design but over time, I dunno they are BOTH great, I might have to emulate our mutual Grunt friend BigIron and build one of each!   

A V-tailed N-4 would be off the charts cool... got pix?

Regarding the reflex - my thinking on 'foils has been going the other direction.  I think the reflexed foil is fine as long as the flap is not deflected, but when they are I do not like the "disconnect" in the top surface contour.  I built my elliptical wing "Futurist", and the upcoming "Vindicator" with blended airfoils.  With the elliptical wing and swept forward hinge line this means my flaps actually get THICKER in mid span.

The reflex in the N-4 let him finish the TE in a nice constant thickness that made the flaps constant thickness - etc.  it does make it easier to build...

Not sure you can get "rich" off the difference one way or the other...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »
  From my standpoint  the reflex airfoil  is much more capable of doing very sharp corners without a stall or "bobble" than the standars  setups.  This is from comparing  the three and four.  both planes flew much better than I was capable of directing them.
  both are now retired (the four --permanently)  (buried)

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:44:38 PM »
Hey Shultzie!

I too have been very fond of the Novi 4.  Heck I'm old enuf to remember seeing the ORIGINAL - absolutely drop dead gorgeous. A V-tailed N-4 would be off the charts cool... got pix?

Not sure you can get "rich" off the difference one way or the other...

Yes....Dave Gierke made a permanent impression on my tortured creative nature..
Let me share this with my brotha's n the Lord and stunt.....since I first saw those models of Dave's and watched him fly those great patterns....my prayers were filled with "I WAAANA'S AND GOTSTA' HAVES!... LL~ LL~ VD~ VD~
GADS! WHY THE THE GREAT LORD GIVE ONE MAN SO MUCH DAMNED ARTISTIC-SKILL IN BOTH BUILDING AND FLYING STUNT...AND LIKE THE MOVIE "AMAAAADAAAAUUUUSSSS!" PRAYING THE THE LORD ABOVE WHY, WHY, WHY, WHEN I LOVED CLPA SO MUCH....WHY DID GOD GIVE ME SO LITTLE AND MEAGER TALENT IN BOTH.
(In prayers...be very very careful in what you ask for....CAUSE U JUST MIGHT GET WHAT U NEED AND NOT WHAT U CRAVE.....

(shortly after that......I changed careers and started out as a wind tunnel "flutta-modelman!" where the Great and Good Lord reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaallly dumped a bunch of reality onto me...and was shown just how little I really knew...and how much amazingly gifted and talented model builders they are in the world. I HAD TO LEARN TO NOT ONLY IMPROVE MY BUILDING SKILLS BUT TO ALSO CREATE ALL OF THAT STUFF ON COMMANDS FROM OUR ALL MIGHTY CUSTOMERS.
Was my prayers answered???? Yes, but NOT IN THE SELFISH WAYS THAT I HAD BEEN WANTING...but was lucky enough to find a job that I found actually fun...well, maybe most of the time for almost 30 years...when I retired in 2004.

Sad to admit, that I haven't carved a notch since!!! But the love of flying stunt and all the folks I met during the years...is where all the blessings flow, flow n' flow.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:58:01 PM »
>>I built my elliptical wing "Futurist", and the upcoming "Vindicator" with blended airfoils. <<

Upcoming? Do tell.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:58:38 AM »
>>I built my elliptical wing "Futurist", and the upcoming "Vindicator" with blended airfoils. <<

Upcoming? Do tell.
Randy, Oh Randy...tell me "littah-bit-mo-little bit mo" bout' that new Vindicator?

Love your creative minds-eyeball for design.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
Not me, Donny. This is Dennis. So Dennis, what'ca got?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Randy, Oh Randy...tell me "littah-bit-mo-little bit mo" bout' that new Vindicator?

Love your creative minds-eyeball for design.

Opps Randy!
Miss read that post....Uhhhh? The new Vindicator is by Dennis...
Hey both you balsa brothers...build beautiful models that are not just stunt models but pure 'SKY-ART!
Speaking of Sky Art...HOW IS BIG DADDY ART DOIN THESE DAZE DAYS??? LL~
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
Hey Dondo:
Big Art is doing fine these days, just saw him last weekend.  He is getting floors refinished these week.  I almost had him talked into money-coting them but...

The "Vindicator" is still very much a work in process - not ready to show it yet - but I will post when I get it framed up.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here