News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:59:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed Pan Drill Jig  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Speed Pan Drill Jig
« on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
There was a diagram on some forum that showed a jig for drilling perfectly straight holes in a speed pan. Does anyone have it saved? I can't find it by searching.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Speed Pan Drill Jig
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 01:40:40 PM »
This should help...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
Write-Up...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
That's the one. Thanks, I owe you.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:22:55 AM »
M.M. you are right of course. But ...........
At one time (long ago) I used to drill the holes freehand. I didn't own a drill press back then and never had a problem nor ruined any pans. Pans are now at a premium and I only have one Harters pan that came with my K.T. kit. I'll make a simple one time use jig from 3/4"plywood so I don't screw up this time. I can also control the depth more easily with a jig and drill press.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 06:29:21 PM »
Made myself a quickie jig today. Took about 10 minutes. I only have the three mounting holes to drill & tap. The pan came already drilled for the Rossi.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
Phooey! I just ran into a BIG Problem;
This is one reason why you should always use a pan drill jig The Harters pan in my Twister kit came with the engine mounting holes already drilled & tapped for 6-32 bolts. Unfortunately, none of the holes were drilled straight; not looking from the front nor from the side. Every hole is crooked.

I got this kit second hand so I don't know who actually drilled the holes, not that it matters now. The holes on the right side in the picture are offset the most. 

I will re-drill & re-tap the holes for 8-32 bolts and hope this will resolve this problem. If not, I have another undrilled pan I can use. It has the same footprint as the Harter but is a clone from somewhere.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
is it possible they tapped at an angle to get more threads before coming out the bottom of the pan
rad racer

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
I don't have to work the lug holes as they are quite a bit larger that the mounting bolts. They can take 8-32s. The top mounting holes location won't interfere with anything. Here's a first draft picture of the wing layout. At this point I'm unsure of where to locate the lead outs at the wing tip.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
is it possible they tapped at an angle to get more threads before coming out the bottom of the pan

Yes, that may be the reason. The holes are all 1/2" deep and none come out the sides.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
I built a nice one over 50 years ago and it still works.  It's a heavy plywood box that puts the flat side of the pan against the underside of the fixture top.  Two wedges are driven in under the bottom of the pan.  The whole thing sets on the drill press table.  Sorry, I don't have picture handy. 
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
I built a nice one over 50 years ago and it still works.  It's a heavy plywood box that puts the flat side of the pan against the underside of the fixture top.  Two wedges are driven in under the bottom of the pan.  The whole thing sets on the drill press table.  Sorry, I don't have picture handy.

Paul. how were you able to see through the plywood to locate where to drill the holes?

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 11:25:25 AM »
Dennis,

Not sure of the size you're using, but I do know where to locate a Harters .40 size pan if you're in need... Good luck!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 04:17:20 PM »
Guys. thanks for all the input. I believe Bob is correct re the slight angle of the engine mounting holes. I now have all the material I need to build this model. I'll be making all new parts in order to preserve this valuable kit.

Paul I do have several original speed pans including two Harter rat race pans. I also have one D pan, which is asymmetrical in shape. IIRC someone previously identified it as possibly Italian made by OPS? It has a gold sheen to it. I'd be interested to locate a flyer who has used one of these.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here