News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed Flyers from Buffalo, NY.  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Speed Flyers from Buffalo, NY.
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:11:05 AM »
I lived in Buffalo in the late 50s and I remember a lot of speed activity there.

Although I cannot recall them all, the names Warren Guerr and Bob Matusiak stand out.
Anyone know anybody else?

Is anyone from the area and is there still speed activity there?

In the four years I lived there, I met and flew (mostly combat) with many. There was some sort of activity every Sunday, not to mention contests in Dansville and Rochester.

Besides Bob and Warren, there was Jim Kostecky, Hal DeBolt, Johnny Volk, Cal Pabst, Bill Hore, Dave Gierke, Izzy DiPietro, Don Weise, Dave Carmichael, Randy Max, Ben Chidester and many others.
So, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?????????????????

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
Re: Speed Flyers from Buffalo, NY.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »
Bob, If you are interested I can give you some names from an earlier time, namely 1946-51 or so.
Larry Lundy

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »
Hi, Larry  - YES, I'd like to see that list.

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:26 AM »
Hi.Bob.
The ones who come immediately to mind including some of yours are:
Ed Izzo (Syracuse Speed Shells), Ray Edmunds,Harold deBolt of course, Joe Campione and his buddy John ?, Jake Ouriel, Bobby Palermo, John Gantner, Dick Wilson, Bob McCarthy, Fran Ptaskiewicz, Ronnie Kosmala, Len Wagner,Ron Kirk, Bobbie Rawe, Mike & Steve Jordan, Tommy Tomoser. More if I remember 'em.
Do you recall going to a U/C contest at Hylan airport at arochester in 1958 or59? When did you go to the indoor contest at Niagara Falls. Did you go to the contest in Niagara Falls when the kid got hit by the plane in Rat Race?
Regards,
Larry Lundy

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:24:32 AM »
FANTASTIC!!!!
What memories. I remember Ed Izzo and Ray Edmonds (I did not get along with him at all!), and of course Harold.

I was at the contest at Hylan airport in the late 50s. Somewhere, I have a first place trophy!!

I was also at the indoor meet at Niagara Falls AFB, helping Jim Kostecky. He put landing gear on a combat plane (Voodoo as I recall) and entered rat race.

I was not only at the Niagara Falls contest when the kid got hit, I was participating and witnessed it. Worse thing I ever saw. Somewhere at home, I have the newspaper clipping.

Let's find more memories!!!!!

When I lived in Tonawanda, I was in a club called the Hornets. The town set up two flying circles for us, on Conway Field, corner of Brighton Rd and Colvin.
The field is still there but the sign says "Model Airplane Flying is Prohibited"

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:27:47 AM »
Hi, Bob. I won rat at Hylan, and lasted 3 rounds in combat 'till I flew with Stretch Smith. I burned up my Fox Combat Special at the race in the hangar at the Falls in practice. At the Falls contest where the kid got hurt, I qualified 2nd in rat with a Fox .19, and managed to win a McCoy.09 (must have been 3rd or 4th). I think my buddy Dick Antoszewski used to fly at your site  but probably long before you.
Back to old speed people, a pair of guys with the last name of Berlinghoff whose father used to sell fuel to the locals. Also the guy from Rochester who used to manufacture servos for deBolt. A guy you might know is George Eckhardt, who flew Charlie Behes' airplanes.
More later, gotta think a bit.
Regards,
              Larry
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:47:49 AM by Larry Lundy »

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
Hi, Larry - I met Dick Antoszewski this past summer at Brodaks. He lives in Florida now.

I remember Stretch Smith and also a guy named Ray Miller, great combat flyer (RaMi Engineering)

Don't remember Berlinghoff or Eckhardt.

Here is the sad but sobering clip from the newspaper regarding the Niagara Falls incident.

I do not remember the exact details. But, what a tragedy. I never heard anything more about it - did you????

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »
The story I got was the guy who sponsered the contest was bankrupted by the lawyers. He had a hobby shop on 14th St. in the Falls. I was in there the week after the contest to trade the McCoy 09 for a Guillows Trainer and he didn't care to talk about the contest. It still may be there, with a different owner. Nothing there for us. Dick A. lived across the street from me when I lived in FL. We hit a lot of contests and swap meets together.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »
It's a shame that an occurrence that is 100% accidental can cause someone to lose his livelihood.

Didn't E-Z Just go bankrupt because of a frivolous suit?

When I lived in Buffalo there were three major hobby shops: Beacon on Main St I think, Luther's on Colvin and Burd's on Delaware. As far as I know, they're all gone.

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »
Don't think any of those are around. Fields was there when you were there, and are still, but going to mostly R/C cars. Howard E. Ruth, on Genesee St. was probably just going out of business. There was one on Main St. somewhere north on a corner. The owner's name was John and he was a speed flier in the late 40s. I remember the others but most of my business was with Ruths' and Fields. I think I heard that  someone was flying near wires, got in trouble, and sued EZ-Just. That was probably when I was in the services.

Offline Larry Lundy

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »
One last contest.In '57, I think, there was the last serious speed contest in the area. That was at the Central Park Plaza somewhere behind the Main Street Sears. Al Steggins and Jere Draper from Cleveland came to town and took home all the hardware. Two, two last contests. Warren Guerr also had one in Buffalo somewhere but I don't recall where. Fran Ptaskiewicz showed up with 8 or 9 year old planes. They flew faster than my Warrior/ K&B 29 or John Grigg's Firecat/ OS 29 twin stack. Also the guy who made the servos for deBolt was Don Steeb. Three last contests. The Tigertown contest at Hamilton, Ontario. If you saw me fly combat you would be ROTFLYAO.

Offline Ron Ciura

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 02:19:47 AM »
I googled a few names from my past and wound up joining the forum. Many of the folks mentioned  were known to me.
Don’t recall the posters though.I was at every contest mentioned and the “Warren Guerr Contest”:referred to was likely
The one at Transitowne Plaza. Lee Stern owned Frontier Hobbies and they were located on the EAST side of Bailey Ave.
Later they would move to Central Park Plaza. My belief is they sponsored the contest there. They then moved back to
The WEST side of Bailey Ave. and remained there until bought out by Fields. A confectionery store nearby was owned by the Condrell family. He built a full- size RV-9a a few years ago. Someone I had known for so long that I forgot where we
Met. Don Hobel worked at Howard E. Ruth and later flew gliders and the tow plane for Niagara Soaring Club I never flew at Conway Field .  As a member of the Amherst Aces I often flew at Iroquois Gas on Mineral Springs Road.I still have some of Izzie Dipietros models in my basement.

I doubt if many folks remember me. Proto Speed, Combat and Rat were what I participated in with a few wins.
Life got in the way and I left the hobby in 1963.

Just last week Johnny Volk was brought up in a conversation.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 06:14:06 AM »
Ron,
Are you back flying again? There are a couple very neat events that those of us in your time frame can fly and keep up with - FOX35 speed; Perky Speed are two easy events to get back into the speed wars with. Do a search on this forum for the basic rules and come have fun.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ron Ciura

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 03:21:57 AM »
Right now it’s g-kids with r/c RTF.

Every time I try to “ retire” I get busier.

The “ No new patients “ sign has been up for some time.

I’m an. A &P ( IA) and still fly a 172 so I have a lot of involvement in aviation.

So things have to to subtracted before more being added.

My AMA number was 5 digits starting with 3.

I will research the forum re the events you mentioned.

To my knowledge there have been no C/L events in many years.

I may post something on age regarding model cement.

Would you trust 60 year old glue joints?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here