News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Source for .010" aluminum wing skin material?  (Read 961 times)

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Source for .010" aluminum wing skin material?
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:19:47 AM »
I'm looking for a source for .010" 2024 T3 aluminum wing skin material.  The usual aircraft supply houses only carry as thin as .016"
ALSO...
Any articles on how to construct an alloy wing?
Thank You!
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Source for .010" aluminum wing skin material?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
I'm looking for a source for .010" 2024 T3 aluminum wing skin material.  The usual aircraft supply houses only carry as thin as .016"
ALSO...
Any articles on how to construct an alloy wing?
Thank You!

What is the wingspan of this model?

Drawings?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:23:03 AM »
I'm curious as to why you ask?  Does this material only come in certain sizes?

What is the wingspan of this model?

Drawings?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
Dave,

I have a roll, 4 x 8 or 10 ft that came out of Boeing surplus many years ago.  I know that I have cut off less than a foot off to make 1 or 2 wings.  Unfortunately you are probably 1700 miles from me in Utah and shipping would be prohibitive.  Possibly I could have a strip sheared off and rolled to ship in a box.  Alternately many have used rolled aluminum flashing available in the roofing section of your local home improvement store.  It is available in various thicknesses including .010" in various widths from 6" to 12".  I think it is a bit softer but makes very serviceable wings.  The bends for the leading edge are made across the grain to prevent cracking.
    There are a number of active speed flyers in Ohio that should be able to help you out.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
I'm curious as to why you ask?  Does this material only come in certain sizes?

I'm asking because if it's a large model with suitable wing loading, constructing the thing with aluminum with good results, may be possible.

There have been many modelers over the years who have been successful with models built out of aluminum. And some not so successful.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Jim,
Thank You for the info.  I'll look into the flashing material.  Altho..I may take you up on a piece rolled up and shipped to Cleveland Ohio area.

Dave,

I have a roll, 4 x 8 or 10 ft that came out of Boeing surplus many years ago.  I know that I have cut off less than a foot off to make 1 or 2 wings.  Unfortunately you are probably 1700 miles from me in Utah and shipping would be prohibitive.  Possibly I could have a strip sheared off and rolled to ship in a box.  Alternately many have used rolled aluminum flashing available in the roofing section of your local home improvement store.  It is available in various thicknesses including .010" in various widths from 6" to 12".  I think it is a bit softer but makes very serviceable wings.  The bends for the leading edge are made across the grain to prevent cracking.
    There are a number of active speed flyers in Ohio that should be able to help you out.

Jim Rhoades
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »
Speed models use this construction method quite successfully all the time.  Beats carving an accurate airfoil AND allows leadouts to be inside the wing without "trenching".
As an example:

I'm asking because if it's a large model with suitable wing loading, constructing the thing with aluminum with good results, may be possible.

There have been many modelers over the years who have been successful with models built out of aluminum. And some not so successful.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
Is there any spar or anything inside of the wing?
David

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
Jim Rhoades...PM sent.
Thank You
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here