News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silent Engines........  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Silent Engines........
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
     Just recently found out that Elmer Huff passed away on May 25th. He was 87 years old. He had been in poor health for a number of years. Elmer was a part of the famed Bartley, Garner, Huff Speed Team back in the mid to late '60's - early '70's that won a lot at the AMA Nats and other contests along with setting many national records. He later was part of the Langlois, Huff, Hurlocker Speed Team who in 1978 set the Jet record at more than 213 MPH. Elmer worked for Piedmont Airlines ( later U S Air ) for more than 30 years as an inspector. I knew Elmer as a man of few words but a very smart fellow. When he talked you had better listen because you were going to learn something and he wasn't going to say it twice. He and the North Carolina speed guys did a lot for controline speed back in the day ( bean oil, K&B Speed fuel ring a bell ). He will be missed by all that knew him.

Dick Tyndall

Offline Double Deuce

• Lieutenant
Re: Silent Engines........
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
Admired Elmer greatly. As you say, when he talked, you best listen.

That Carolina Bunch did some good in the Speed Circle. I am pretty sure Elmer had a hand in a lot of it.

My condolences to Elmer's friends and family.

Anyone heard anything out of Rick Berrier, who used to hang with that crew?

Thanks for the post, sad that the subject  may be.

Double Deuce. Who sometime answers to Luke Roy

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Silent Engines........
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
   Years ago I asked Elmer about Rick ( I called him Ricky ) and best I can remember he said he was still in the Greensboro area or thereabouts. Bill Pardue, I am told is still around. I went down to see Mike Langlois last June. Back in the early 1990's Elmer was building some new airplanes ( a "B" and a "D" ship ) and He brought to me one of your H&R .29's and an O.S.Max .65. Did some timing changes to up date these along with head inserts, venturis, that kind of stuff. Holding the .29 was like having history in my hands. Elmer still wanted to go flying but he didn't have anyone to go fly with. My monoline flying skills were not up to par with what Elmer had built, to say the least! I learned a lot from Elmer.........did a lot of listening. Sure going to miss him.

Dick Tyndall
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:46:47 PM by Dick Tyndall »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here