News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proto Vee Tail  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Proto Vee Tail
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:48:58 PM by Motorman »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Proto Vee Tail
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »
Vee Tail with one elevator, which side do you put the elevator. Inboard elevator, up acts like right rudder but pushes inboard side down. Outboard elevator, up is like left rudder but holds outboard wing down. Which effect is dominate?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
If this is for PA then which side is dominate is nearly moot.  Both of them will suck.   We go to great lengths to make sure our controls don't produce roll or yaw and this will put you up to your eyeballs in both.

But you did ask......., would opt for the inboard since there are more inside corners in the pattern than outside and the prop induced airflow over the wing will be on the outboard side (assuming CW rotation).
Speed does this all the time but they don't do hourglasses either.  I have lost one of my elevator servo's on an RC Sailplane V Tail and had to land it with only one side working.  It wasn't difficult but we don't have ailerons.

Ken

Oops - I didn't notice the forum when I replied - Never Mind.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:32:28 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 06:47:26 AM »
Vee Tail with one elevator, which side do you put the elevator. Inboard elevator, up acts like right rudder but pushes inboard side down. Outboard elevator, up is like left rudder but holds outboard wing down. Which effect is dominate?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

For Speed planes you are mainly trimming for level flight. Control input is minimal. It does not matter which side is used. I've done both.

Plus, our V-Tails are not really like a Bonanza or Swee Pea. My Swee Pea had one rudder-vator on the outboard side. No issues.

Unless you are thinking of doing one with that much of a V angle.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:48:38 AM »
Apart from the control issues mentioned, the prime disadvantage I see is the loss of structural continuity from side to side which would dictate the the need for heavier construction.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »
Bob, Cool plane, looks like a Tornado 7-6 is that a SuperTigre 15 on there? What is the angle of your tail?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

Yes, the engine was an ST G15 with a Tornado 7 x 6.

The V angle was roughly 25 deg from horizontal.

It was a very fast airplane.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »

It was a very fast airplane.

"was"  ????

Keith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »
"was"  ????

Keith

The plane was active circa 1970+. It had one standout season. After a full season of racing the outboard wing parted company during a pit stop at the King Orange. By then the Rossi was beginning to be tamed and The G15 headed out to pasture.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here