News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plans or kits for something to put an HK Pulse Jet on.  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Plans or kits for something to put an HK Pulse Jet on.
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:35:24 AM »
I have an HK pulse jet on the way.  I found the Tarfu plans online but they are the only ones I found. I saw on a Whittier youtube video someone mentioning the selling kits that that HK fits but can't find any more info on it anywhere. I would prefer to do something 2 line not mono. An already proven kit would be nice as I won't have to order stuff from multiple places.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Plans or kits for something to put an HK Pulse Jet on.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
Go on line and type in North American Speed Society.   Follow the menu at the top of the page.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
Go on line and type in North American Speed Society.   Follow the menu at the top of the page.

Looked all over there the other night. Saw lots of vendors for engine speed nothing for pulse jets.
Never did any speed flying so I am not sure how much I will like it. If I think I will be doing it awhile I will join NASS. But not doing that if I get one or two speed planes and decide its not for me.

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
Ahh found the link to the plans cd's this time. Still haven't seen anything on kits tho.

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »
A local flier pointed me in the direction of ad for some laser cut Sport Jet Pod Racer kits on the flying lines flea market.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
Bud, I bought one of Jim Booker's Pod Racer kits last month. Very nice kit, for $100 you get the kit, the tank and all the mounting hardware. He will Email you plans for a dolly made just for the Pod Racer. Jim is a great guy, very helpful. I don't know how familiar you are with pulsejets, but the HK pj needs some mods to the flowjector and main jet to get good runs on. Good luck post some reports for us. Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »
Jim is out of kits right now and it will be some time before he does anymore. He said he will email me when he knows when he will have more. Since I have never done a speed jet I am not real keen on scratching one. So the HK is either going to sit on the shelf or go in a self designed pulse jet stunt plane. Only problem with the stunt plane is I am having a hard time finding a new cline fuel regulator for an already proven 24-32 ounce fuel system as they no longer produce them. There is a company that makes a similar one but I am told they do not work as well as the cline.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
Bud, will you be using a metal tank or pressure feed?  I too have a pulsejet stunter in the works. I will take a different approach than Dan B. did with the metal tank. I am using a cline valve with a bladder. So far my test runs have worked very well. Using a bladder with a cline valve eliminates all the headaches of a metal tank. Since it is pressurized you can put the fuel bladder anywhere and it won't matter. I have test run with the bladder 4 ft away from the engine, holding it way above and below the engine. Since the pressure is constant the engine does not go rich or lean. This should work well for a stunter. The other advantage I see with this is that I will not have to put 30 to 40ozs of fuel in the nose, changing the CG drastically during the flight. I am going to use a foam wing with a bladder tube right on the CG, just like combat planes. Have you tried Bruce Tharpe for a cline valve? I got mine from him about 3 months ago. He has been running pulsejets on bladder tanks for well over 15 years in RC planes.  Here is a link to Bruce, just call him up. I think my cline was $65 shipped. http://www.btemodels.com/   Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
Have you tried Bruce Tharpe for a cline valve? I got mine from him about 3 months ago. He has been running pulsejets on bladder tanks for well over 15 years in RC planes.  Here is a link to Bruce, just call him up. I think my cline was $65 shipped. http://www.btemodels.com/   Mike

Actually my bladder plans I am using were from Bruce. I will email him and see if he has a clines left. As for the plane I was at one time thinking about just converting his reactor to control line. But he says it may have some pitch issues due to the thrust angle. Since this is the speed forum I will make a new thread in the stunt forum for us to continue this discussion and post a link to it here.

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
Continuing the pulse jet stunt discussion here http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=35411.0

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
you can go here,, there are some items for pulse jet designs,

http://flyinglines.org/fleamarket.html
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 12:48:30 AM »
I was the one who supplied the t34 kitsets and ready built tarfu models for monoline or two line..  Havnt made any in a little while or come to this forum..  Anybody making anything ?

Robert

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
Bud,
Assuming the HK is similar to the Dyna Jet here is a good starting point. Only thing I would change is use 5/32" for the fuel pickup line instead of the 1/8", it will make the take-off and starting much easier.

If you are looking for a big jet stunted there was a ship called the"Thunderhawk" that was designed around a Dyna jet as the Martin Thunderhawk. World Engines took it over for the OS jet. Can't find plans but a few people had them.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:35:34 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
I recently drafted a set of plans for the Thunder Hawk. This is a basic drawing that requires an experienced builder.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »
Dennis,
Is the plans you drafted from Thunderhawk parts? Would they qualify as a legal Thunderhawk set (1948) for OTS purposes? This would be great as I have been looking for a set for quit a while. Please let us know and how could I get a copy of them?

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here