News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perky Speed shipping box designs?  (Read 1313 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Perky Speed shipping box designs?
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:29:18 AM »
Just wondering what guys have been using to ship Perky and other Speed ships in. Back in the day we had one box that could hold all classes of Speed (Photo of John Kukon's 1962 setup). They were kinda big but with the cars we had you needed some way of containing stuff and getting it out to the field. Seems for Perky could be smaller what have you used.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Perky Speed shipping box designs?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
going across the pond with F2C's we could get 2 planes in one of the new 1/3-2/3 opening plastic suit case's.the 3rd plane and all the equipment would go in the other case .the flyer and pitman would each take one..being a suit case there was much less chance if them being opened for inspection than a big box
rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
Peter Lott posted the picture of his Perky shipping scheme. 
The landing gear was removed and the Perky was embedded in clothing in a regular suitcase.
Paul Smith

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
Paul,
I haven't been able to find Peter Lott's photos, can you post a link?

Thanks,   DennisT

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:02:01 AM »
I can't find it.  It was just a standard suitcase with clothes packed around the Perky, lines & handle, and landing gear.

If I was planning to ship a Perky unaccompanied I might use an existing suitcase or buy one at a resale shop.
Paul Smith

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 07:00:46 PM »
Guys,
180 views and two people posted a response? Is this thing on??? Don't be afraid to post, it has spell check as you type, it doesn't have to be perfect. There has to be at least a dozen guys flying this, take some pictures and help grow the event.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Peter Lott

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »
Paul you were looking for this... ;)... Another layer of clothes on top and closed the suitcase.

It made it through about 19000 miles on the round trip without getting broken.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »
I shipped a Goodyear in a box made from 2" styrene foam, pinned together with bamboo skewers. (There was also a lid that is not shown.)That fit snugly inside a cardboard box. This was a one-time shipment to the plane's new owner.  It arrived without incident.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
I like the combination of Bill's foam with either the suitcase or something similar from say 1/4" ply. I have an old hard shell Samsonite suitcase that doesn't have TSA locks so I would likely need to add an external latch and TSA lock. It is larger than needed for a Perky but could do something for Perky and FOX 35 and maybe 1/2A profile plus all the lines, props, plugs and spare parts. Could do one on top one in bottom. Would still go within the normal luggage dimensions.

Best,    DennisT

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 08:08:57 PM »
Here's a box I built to take two Goodyears and supporting equipment on the airlines. It is made from door skin plywood and scrap pine and poplar. The dimensions are 26.5" x 25.5" x 10". It goes as standard size luggage. Lines, handles, basic tools and spares go in the various compartments. The planes get the LG removed, and are rubber banded to the supports beneath the wings. The thick foam pads keep the airplanes in place if a rubber band breaks. The handle is a woven nylon strap. It is less likely to get torn off than a rigid handle. For Perkys or smaller, a suitcase would be much easier.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here