News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Original 1/2A full fuse proto speed plans and article.  (Read 1006 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Original 1/2A full fuse proto speed plans and article.
« on: July 11, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Guys,
I have been looking for the plans and article for the original 1/2A full fuse proto speed plans, published sometime in the mid to late s 60"s. This was when the event first started in the US. I think it was by either Dale Kirn or Warren Kurth. I have tried Outerzone but they only have recent ships. If anyone can post a copy or point me to a site to download it I would appreciate it greatly.

Best, DennisT

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Original 1/2A full fuse proto speed plans and article.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
dale kirn had a full fuse 1/2 a proto in a mag that his daughter flew. i have the fiber glass top and pan for it
rad racer

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »
            Was that plane called the Spullet? I have a Model Airplane News which features it.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
Ken,
I think I found it. The ship was not a proto but a speed ship with one wheel, inverted engine with helmet cowl and full pan. His daughter built and flew it to a Senior record in 1979 -80. It was published in Model Aviation October 1980. The file is to large to post but here is the link:  https://plans.modelaircraft.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/MA00315MA1.pdf cute ship.

I think there was a full fuse proto was publish in the mid 1960's.

Best,  DennisT
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:17:04 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »
i have both
rad racer

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
Guys,
I have been looking for the plans and article for the original 1/2A full fuse proto speed plans, published sometime in the mid to late s 60"s. This was when the event first started in the US. I think it was by either Dale Kirn or Warren Kurth. I have tried Outerzone but they only have recent ships. If anyone can post a copy or point me to a site to download it I would appreciate it greatly.

Best, DennisT

Dale Kirn was instrumental is establishing rules for the new (at the time) rules for 1/2A Proto.  The rules at that time were for a cowled engine, two wheels, 18" minimum span, something like 45 sq in minimum area and required a canopy.  (The rules were later changed to require only a 14" minimum span.)  A cowled engine was not required if it was a scale model of a full size airplane.

Dale published his "Lil Pronto" in American Modeler, Sep/Oct 64, inverted engine.  Plans showed a magnesium pan which Kirn suggested could be made from a carved wood pattern and take it to a foundry that does magnesium casting.  He also suggested the pan could be formed with a full length of "1/8" epoxy board with a balsa block glued to it and carved to outline."

There were several other 1/2A proto plans published after that.  Then, the event sort of morphed into the 1/2A profile proto event.

For the record, Cox did sell magnesium pans for these 1/2A Proto ships that fit the plans to the Kirn Lil Pronto.

Plans and the article are available from the AMA Plans Service.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:32:10 PM by Trostle »

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:08:47 PM »
Model Aviation plan 142. "Eagle I" 1/2A proto by Jim Wade. Plans say 1976. Took about one minute to search MA plans for 1/2A proto.  %^@

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here