News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: need to lower timing  (Read 1609 times)

Online Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
need to lower timing
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
I've got a modern ABC engine designed for a car/truck with mild exhaust pipe. The exhaust timing is something between open faced and full pipe (170). venturi and so rpm is limited for this application so I want to lower it (160). This means dropping the sleeve .025". I'm looking for advise and experience. Did you cut the bottom of the sleeve flange or cut the top of the case down? How did you set it up for the cut? How much sub piston induction can you have before it has a negative effect?

Thanks,
MM

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: need to lower timing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
depends on what equipment u have to work with and how carefull u are , cutting the bottom of the sleeve shoulder is the easiest, but every time u change cyls u have to match the new to the old.  the cyl is problt tapered so u should use an expanding mandrel

to cut the Case i use a 4 jaw chuck   and a piece of aluminum big enough the mount the engine on the end like u were mounting it in the plane,  put the setup in the 4 jaw chuck and indicate it with an indicator now the important part,  remove the case and take a skim cut on the fixture ,remount Case and finish indicating to zero run out  use a small sharp tool  and remove the amount u want to take off .when done put a small chanfer on the edge so it wont bind the case.

the more back pressure u have ,the more it affects the sub piston induction,  when we were kids a friend of mine cut the wrong side of a racing engine and u could see the rod under the piston and it ran fine  hope this helps

dont forget that u need to raise the head the same amout that u dropped the sleeve

rad racer

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
Thanks Bob, It makes sense to me to cut the case. The thicker flange on the sleeve is important. I checked the sub piston situation. The piston goes down below the exhaust port .010" and the piston skirt is .012 longer than the stroke so if I lower the sleeve .025" sub piston will only be .003" happy about that.

MM

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:21 AM »
Ok got that done and exhaust came in right at 160 but the transfers are now 117. Open face transfer timing is usually 125 right?

MM

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
give it a try, my fastest 21 proto had low trans timing can always raise them if u dont like itat 117
rad racer

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »
Did some bench testing and it's down 1,000 rpm from my GO25. Got the tool made to mark the line and some diamond cutters to break through the chrome. I'll let you know how it goes.

MM

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Wow the chrome was thick on that OS. I used up a few of my diamond bits to get that done. I've since done an experiment on an old sleeve where I put electrical tape in the bore and filled the port from the outside with muriatic acid. The acid didn't leak or eat through the tape and most of the chrome was gone from the port. The OS sleeve might need more applications but it works. Hey a new rad engine term for the car racers "Acid Burned Ports".

MM   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here