• October 17, 2021, 10:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: perky  (Read 434 times)

Online bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
perky
« on: August 04, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »
i hear that there are some changes coming to Perky  any truth to it.getting ready to build a new one  need to know before i start  Rad
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: perky
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
Bob,
What are the rumored changes?

Best,   DennisT

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »
what i heard was 2nd hand i think trying to keep them closer to original
yea inverted was talked about  ,
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 07:11:05 AM »
I assume that by eliminating the inverted engine it would remove being able to mount the tank above the needle valve level and require true suction fuel feed rather then gravity assist there by requiring smaller venturi size. This makes sense to eliminate legal cheating. Other option would be to require that the tank be located so that no more than 1/2 it's height is above the needle valve or fuel injector enters the venturi and that the pickup line is on or below the needle valve or injector location as it enters the engine. In other words like a stunt tank setup. Also no variable carbonators and oversize ram air vent lines.

Doing the NVA approach might save some from needing to build new ships, just mod the tank location.

As with everything in speed we all look to fine a legal way around the letter of the rule (if it doesn't say we can't, then we can) and sometimes it is not in line with the intent.

Best,   DennisT

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »
I totally do not understand the reasoning here and who is They?  It is a postal contest anyway.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
CT,
You have one of the fastest ships with the inverted engine congrats on the NAEs win. I do think the fuss is about having gravity feed into the inverted engine allowing a larger venturi and not true suction and that not being in the sprit of the events intent. I know part of the fun is to fine ways to get an advantage and that everyone can built an inverted engine with a high tank. But the original ship had none of that and not expected to be over 100 mph. If the loop holes are eliminated it will slow the ships a bit and allow some of the older fliers to keep participating with a simple setup.

Best,   DennisT

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
this could all be a rumor
rad racer

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
I don't know why inverted engines were permitted in the first place.  The plans show an upright engine......

BTW.... Is it permitted to make the wing thicker than shown on the plans?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Another thing can you make the wing thinner than show? Seems all that is required is the general outline and dimensions.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 08:17:15 PM »
These speed ships are basically a rock on the string, so only a small amount of lift is needed. This ship is bigger then most D speed ships which are considerably heavier. The question was only to get clarification on what is allowed by the rules. As I said seems we only need to build to the plan view of the ship and side view of the fuse. Is this correct?

Best,   DennisT

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 06:19:15 AM »
but I am one of the older guys :o

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 06:39:18 AM »
I'm also one of the old guys and am looking to build a ship this year. Maybe since Paul Smith is running this event he could jump in here and clarify any changes being looked at. We are all just flapping our mouths with nothing to really back it up. Fun discussion but it is holding up building for some.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here