News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint for high nitro speed ships  (Read 2290 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint for high nitro speed ships
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »
Guys,
What finish paints are being used for high nitro ships?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Paint for high nitro speed ships
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:14 AM »
I went from Hobby Poxy to K&B to Klass Kote.  The only current product that works.

I am a bit disappointed that I can't get truly-clear clear.  At best to has an off-color tint to it.  On the upside you can paint to plane with any dope and clear coat it with epoxy.

This carrier plane has Monokote on the wing and 40-year old Hobby Poxy on the body.  While patching up the model I didn't have any gray to match the original, so I changed the body to orange.  I like it better & I don't sweat the nitro.

Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Is there such a thing as a high nitro speed ship any more? Isn't everything 10% now? Nonetheless, Klass Kote is very durable, even if nitro resistance is not the primary issue. I use it on all my (10% nitro) racing planes.

Bill Bischoff

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
Most urethane based automotive clear coats and single stage paints are fuel proof to what ever nitro you would want to run. I have some carrier planes that run on 70%and have Sherwin Williams clear with no problems at all and plenty of shine. I just over reduce it so I don't get to much build.

David

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:54:53 AM »
you can also use this from Spray Max.
i use it on my painted racing hydroplanes and it is fuel proof for my racing fuel using 65% nitro.
it is a clear clear and have not had any yellowing over the years I have been using it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/U-S-Chemical-Plastics-2K-Glamour-High-Gloss-Clear-Coat-Aerosol-11-8-oz-3680061/111198031

and yes, it can be ordered from Wally Mart as well at Amazon

follow the directions and you will have a very nice finish.
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 05:14:26 AM »
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel in spray cans.Let dry for 2 weeks....totally fuel proof!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Is there such a thing as a high nitro speed ship any more? Isn't everything 10% now? Nonetheless, Klass Kote is very durable, even if nitro resistance is not the primary issue. I use it on all my (10% nitro) racing planes.

Bill Bischoff

I guess you're right about 10% being the limit in many events.  But you can still run nitro in 1/2A and all carrier events, unless you use a tuned pipe.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
you can also use this from Spray Max.
i use it on my painted racing hydroplanes and it is fuel proof for my racing fuel using 65% nitro.
it is a clear clear and have not had any yellowing over the years I have been using it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/U-S-Chemical-Plastics-2K-Glamour-High-Gloss-Clear-Coat-Aerosol-11-8-oz-3680061/111198031

I checked the ad.  It looks like a self-contained 2-part epoxy in a $22.50 rattle can.  So you only get one chance to get the job done.  I guess I could live with that if I got 2 or 3 project ready to be clear-coated in one session. 

The problem, as I see it, is no good way to practice, other than wasting $22.50.  I wouldn't want to complete three masterpieces and get a hard lesson.
Paul Smith

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
Dave,
What brand of auto urethane paint do you use? Do you use color as well as clear coat?

Best,   DennisT

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
I use Sherwin Williams mostly but I have used PPG and DuPont before and they worked fine. I currently use SW because I have a deal on it through my work.

I use the Ultra one single stage with any color but I prefer base/clear because I think it looks better.  I think it is lighter as well because I can over reduce the clear to avoid build up where as with single stage if you over reduce it you are reducing the pigment and make it harder to get good color coverage.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 04:44:29 PM »
Guys,
Seems I forgot about KBS Diamond Clear (https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear-Aerosol.html). This is a single part clear that is very tuff. We had a discussion some time back in the Paint section, one flyer used 35% nitro with no effect on the surface. I had tried it over MonoKote as a test and just degreased and brushed on. I use 12% nitro and its been on for two years with no problem. They now have a rattle can version which I think is the way to go. It has a limited shelf life (about 2 months) once used for the first time. Trick is to build several ships and be ready for clear then spray them. Looks like 2 coats will do it.

Best,   DennisT

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 05:53:35 AM »
I did the KBS a few years ago. Initially it seemed good but proved to be not fuel proof. In addition, it's shelf life was short. To prevent myself from trying it again and ruining another plane, I threw it in the bin. Y2K is great and you can refrigerate it for at least a couple of weeks.
    And, don't forget fellows, even though there are no official events for nitro fuel, sometimes it is fun to tip the can and let 'er rip!   TS

PS 
we are starting to consider a retro D ship with Dooling and 2 lines to blast around with.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
how about Nightrngales Bi Liner two line nats winning D ship
rad racer

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »
Got a picture?

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
think I know someone who has small 3 views ,I got to see it fly the yesr he beat all the mono line jobs
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here