News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why Ceramic Bearings  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why Ceramic Bearings
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
Double the price, do they last longer? Seems like the steel races would get frosted just as fast. Years ago someone said they are fit too tight and you needed to get them through some combat flier who knows how to fit them loose. What do you think? Are they faster or just fast talk.

MM

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
Re: Why Ceramic Bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
It was suggested to me by someone who knows, be sure who does the bearings knows what he's doing, has the variety of balls that may be needed. Like you say, if they are too tight it not going to do much for you.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
I hear that Greg Settle out of Colorado will build a set of ceramic bearings for those that wish to use them. I believe he individually fits the balls to the races for the correct clearances.

I don't use them. As a racer, I find there are too many variables in a race to make ceramics worth the effort, and money. However, I know people that have used them, some with catastrophic result.

Les

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »
I personally tried them just to see if they were any better. I have ceramic bearings in a couple of engines and can't really tell any difference. I thought one of the big attractions to ceramic bearings is that they would survive on less lubrication. For supplied fuel events, there's no gain to be had there.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »

i believe they have been found to work good for 1/2 A's ,less weight lets them accelerate quicker .  we found that in F2C the ceramic balls would not transfer the heat from the crank to the case
rad racer

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:11 AM »
the ceramic bearings really helped in one engine in particular, the Nellie .36 combat. The rear bearing in this engine was pushed to the limits and without regular care and feeding could become a problem. If you have ever blown a rear bearing then you know that it destroys about everything, then bends the crankcase for good measure. At the end of the season I would send mine to Henry for new bearings and a look over.
it's interesting that after we lost the nitro plant in the U.S. years ago and began using Nitro from China that rust began to appear on the ball bearings. One of our more scientific guys (Norm McFadden) traced it to the nitro.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
I hear that Greg Settle out of Colorado will build a set of ceramic bearings for those that wish to use them. I believe he individually fits the balls to the races for the correct clearances.Les

That name sounds familiar. Do you think he really has that many different sized balls, where do you even get them? Can you buy different sizes or just buy in bulk and hope to get some smaller ones. Either way omg the money you would have in it. More likely he polishes the races to get clearance? I can do that all day long for free.

MM

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:46 PM »
I don't really know the particulars on the various sizes of the balls or where to source them. I'm sure Greg could answer you, possibly he's on this board??

Les

Offline Glenn Quarles

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
Yes Greg has MANY sizes of balls to rebuild bearings with the correct internal clearances. Since I became the U.S. Novarossi Marine engine distributor I have found that Greg is the most knowledgable bearing man I have ever met! I believe the biggest  benefit to Greg's bearings is the fit, but I really like the ceramic balls as they don't wear at all. Greg's bearings will be better than any stock bearing either steel or ceramic. If you are trying to get max performance out of your motor I would highly recommend them!

Glenn
Live in such a way that those who know you, but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
When Henry Nelson made the last run of .36 combat motors last year, he offered an upgrade to ceramic bearings for an additional $12. Sounds pretty cheap to me. Considering the engines were $360 each.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here