News:

• May 18, 2024, 01:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fire Dart Monoline Kit  (Read 762 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fire Dart Monoline Kit
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
I have recently reacquired a Fire Dart Monoline kit from my brother. It is for Dyna-Jet power. It was one of my dad's old kits probably from the 60's. We have passed it back and forth over the years with the intention of building it.  Neither of us really wants to fly monoline so my question is what is it worth? It is complete and all the wood looks good, the box however is in really poor shape. Plans (instruction sheet) are there. Is it a desirable vintage speed model? Or a ho hum kit. I have no idea how to value it or what to ask for it. I want to turn it into $$ for other projects and would like to see it find a good home and get built.  Before I put it on the Bay or here I would like some input.  Thanks, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fire Dart Monoline Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
It's pretty much impossible to place a value on a collector kit. eBay can be really fickle.

As for the model, it was very competitive back in the day. Harry Latshaw, Dave Cotton, Ted Black, and Charlie Serie really made them go. However, the plane can't compete with today's sidewinder configured planes. The last of the Firedarts and other upright designs went to inboard tanks and offset engine mounts to gain a measure of G force fed fuel to make more thrust. You can see that on the Pardue / Langlois Super Burp (Model Aviation 12/78). I've seen them accelerate like a rocket and top out at 200+. It was pretty spectacular.

Also, the fuel tank as shown is too small to make a full run with the spec fuel mandated by the rules. It will also take a metal tank. The fuel will eat right through the resin coated wood tank.

The plane could be built with a U-Control system and flown 2-line as a fun model. If I were to do that it would be just as easy to copy all the wood parts and save the kit.

As far as your kit, send me a P/M and maybe we can do a deal if you're still interested in selling.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here