News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:02:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mixed couples speed team  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Mixed couples speed team
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
I met Tom Foster and Adona Napier at Bob Mears combat museum tonight. Very wonderful people. They flew together in the late 50's early 60's. Tom built the plane Adona is holding, but that's her AMA number on the wing.

Offline Tom Foster

• New Pilot
Re: Mixed couples speed team
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
Hi Dane, and thanks for posting your picture of Adona Napier and me at Bob Mears. This is my first attempt at a Stunthanger post, so... maybe I can fill in the blanks a little.
We were both at the Speed circles at the 1956 Nationals, she flying and me watching, in the days of Clem-Beasley-Kirn, Lester and Harvey Grogan, Leland Morton, and Jimmy Summersett and Dimmitt Perkins in Jet.We didn't meet until later, at a contest in San Antonio, and after she had been on the cover of Flying Models. I had to take a chance and try to meet the cover girl, right there in my home town.  Her dad was a supervisor at Convair in Fort Worth, so she had a team of pros behind her and I was a poor kid with hand-me-down stuff. Who knew?  Not me, for sure.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
Tom, it was a real pleasure to meet you. Next time, we'll have more time to hang out. I saw you at the field during the contest, but I missed you by the time I was ready to get over there.
Thanks for sharing the history!

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »

Here's  a photo of my pilot & pitman  (pitgirl) from the Tournament of the Millennium in Portugal. The British " Team Trophy" event has the team start the motor & release the model on command. The flight is timed from the word "GO". Upon the model rolling to a stop, the watch is stopped. THEN, the same thing is done with the pilot & pitman (pitgirl) roles reversed. The closer the two times are, the higher your score is. Can you believe Dianne & I managed a perfect score (to the hundredth of a second) with Dianne's Streaker mouse racer!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
Greetings Dane  :)!  Just curious .... did you ever get to fly that Perky I built for you?   ???  I'm hoping and would love to hear that it performed well for you.  How about the three that were uncovered?  Did they meet your needs/expectations?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »
Greetings Dane  :)!  Just curious .... did you ever get to fly that Perky I built for you?   ???  I'm hoping and would love to hear that it performed well for you.  How about the three that were uncovered?  Did they meet your needs/expectations?

Jim, my building hero! No sir, not yet. I'm hoping for this Sunday in fact.

Offline Tom Foster

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »
Adona Napier, the other half of the Mixed Doubles Speed Team, passed away this morning after a long struggle with leukemia and other concerns. No services have been announced yet.

Advertise Here
Tags: dane martin 

Advertise Here