News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: inverted speed  (Read 1229 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
inverted speed
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
I still don't see where flying inverted at speed is going to help a beginner when he can just get someone else to fly for him
rad racer

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: inverted speed
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
Maybe he can set the inverted speed record...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »
This is based on Bonneville Salt Flats and FAI (real plane) speed records.  A two-way average.  A little bit more challenging than just one-way level flight. 
But still somewhat less challenging than the proto/carrier style of speed that demands a light model and non-sagging acceleration.
This is not exactly for "beginners", it's more for modelers who are not engine builders.
I don't think you can find anybody at The Brodak who can't fly both ways, and if there is he can find a pilot.
Paul Smith

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
Paul this just my two cents,but I don't think you should allow an entry into the Sportsmen Speed event to use a "stand in" pilot because they can't fly inverted. They've got between now and June to learn. Flying your entry both ways is part of the deal. Again,just my 2 cents.

Two weeks ago I taught a new bee to fly inverted who has only been flying C/L a very short time.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
I agree with Skip if some one is going to enter Sportsman Speed they should be the pilot.   Learning to fly inverted is not that hard except in a balloon burst meets we had many years ago us experts had to attack the balloons inverted.   After about a dozen laps I was dizzy, go figure.  Had to go up right to get over the dizzies.   AMS pattern calls for 6 inverted laps and I have been flying at least a dozen laps or more inverted to get used to it.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here