News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perky and Clown Speed at the Brodak Fly In for 2015  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Perky and Clown Speed at the Brodak Fly In for 2015
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:04:45 AM »
I am preparing to submit my requests for this year.

In 2014 I ran a combined event for Perky & Clown with first place awards only for Perky, Clown, and closest to average.  We got seven Perkys and five Clowns.

Based on that I asking for two separate and complete events for 2015 and also a single closest to average award for both events combined.  Perky and Clown will each have an entry fee, so if you enter both events would have six shots at closest to average.

I will, of course, make Clowns comply with whatever rules they use in the Brodak Clown Race event.  That would leave the door open for unlimited fuel in Perky, including diesels.  In 2014 I felt obligated to make ALL entries use the house fuel.  What do possible entrants think of unlimited fuel in Perky?   I don't believe that unlimited fuel for diesels and limited for glow is fair.

Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Perky and Clown Speed at the Brodak Fly In for 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Unlimited glow fuel will mean an entirely different engine and prop set up with custom blend fuel, might put people off. We've (scale) raced unlimited diesel fuel against 10% glow fuel for decades with no clear advantage to either over the years. If you're just going for average speed wins (lame) what difference does it make.

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
I'm planing to have the full three places based on top speed, plus a single prize for closest to average. 

From what I've seen and read, glows top out at about 101 to 104 on 10% standard fuel and F2C diesels go 108 on any fuel they want.  So limited glow vs unlimited diesel has a known result.   

Last year, after a lot of tweaking in on 10 nitro, 11 castor and 11 synthetic, the top three speeds were 101, 100, and 98.  Maybe 10-10-10 will be a little better.  There was some complaint about excess lubrication.
Paul Smith

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »
Hi Paul, I'm hoping to make Brodak this year and bring my Perky. My vote would be for house fuel for the glow planes. I'm sure everyone was glad to go to 10% years ago and would not look forward to competing with hi nitro fuel again. Maybe you could have a separate award for the fastest diesel??.

I have taken note of the Fox .35 speed event being held in St. Louis. I see it as an event that would encourage originality and also be easily flyable for the Seniors among us. Would you be interested in running that event alongside Perky/Clown at Brodak?........ With some help?    TS

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
So you're going to open the fuel and glows will go 112mph, how is that fair to the diesels? You'll have the same problem. Why don't you just outlaw F2C rear valves and/or put a price cap on the engine because that's the real problem, speed cost money.  

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
I don't want to be overly creative with the rules. I'm leaning toward 10-10-10 for all. Better to take the heat from one guy with a diesel than lose ten entries with glows.

I appreciate some input from potential entries before I submit my request to the CD.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
Stay with the fuel that works.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
Good plan.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:06:12 AM »
I received the proof copy of the 2015 Brodak Fly In flyer.

Both Perky and Clown Speed are is as full separate events with three prizes each.
There is also a bonus "closest to average" award for both events combined.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Hi Paul!  Please forgive my interruption.  I'm sure you may have already addressed this but I missed it.  Are you going to require compliance with the NASS rule #10: "The flying wires shall be .014” Diameter Solid Steel Music wire.  Wire material shall be the AMA required ASTM A228M Spec wire." or will you allow the use of the regular stranded steel cables or even the use of Spectra lines??

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
I will go by the book on Perky.  I have the right stuff as specified & bought from Melvin Schutte.  I guess I would loan out my lines if somebody comes unprepared.

Just for the sake of discussion:  If somebody flew a Perky on .015" 7-strand, would he not be placing himself at a disadvantage compared to .014" solids?   

I do not plan to employ a metallurgist to verify the particular grade of steel.  The enforceability of that rule has always amused me.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here