News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A proto; Perky, Fox35 at NATs  (Read 921 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A proto; Perky, Fox35 at NATs
« on: May 27, 2023, 08:41:00 AM »
From the NATs website I see that 1/2A proto is scheduled for Monday July 10th; Perky is Tuesday July 11; and Fox35 is Wednesday July 12. Is this correct? What time will they do a pilots meeting and start official flights? Is preregistration required?

Best,   DennisT

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: 1/2A proto; Perky, Fox35 at NATs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 11:26:28 AM »
1/2 A Proto is an AMA Rulebook class so you must enter the NATS through the AMA web site before the cut-off date or end up paying a late fee. The others are NASS Unofficial classes. You may enter the day of they are flown. If you don't enter any official AMA classes you still have to pay AMA $10 to get a Mechanics pass so you may fly the unofficial stuff, otherwise you will not be able to go out on the circle.

Processing usually begins 8ish or so. Official runs start by 9.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 07:20:29 AM »
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. It has been a number of years since I flew speed so I have a question about the unofficial events (Perky & Fox35). Well we be using a pylon for those flights or just spinning in a center marked circle? Being a little older I prefer the pylon as it could steady the flight.

Also, what fuel is being used for Perky & Fox35?

Lastly, for Fox35 is there a restriction on prop material (i.e. no carbon fiber props per 2017 rules)?

Thanks,   DennisT

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 03:40:50 PM »
The rules for each class say that the pylon is not required. It does not say that the pylon cannot be used, although no one uses it. I would just let the chief timer know that you prefer to use the pylon.

Perky fuel is NASS 10%. 10% Nitro / 20% lube / 70% Methanol. FOX fuel is 5% Nitro / 25% Castor Oil / 70% Methanol. All fuel is supplied at the circle.

Yes, the FOX rules state the the propeller cannot be a custom hand lay-up glass or carbon fibre item. You are required to use what can be purchased over the counter such as APC, etc.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 04:46:04 PM »
Dennis,

Have you flown when the Transitrace Timing System was being used?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 07:57:39 PM »
Bob,
No, I have not flown with the Transitrace Timing System. What should I know?

Best,   DennisT

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 07:32:18 AM »
Bob,
No, I have not flown with the Transitrace Timing System. What should I know?

Best,   DennisT

For the Standing Start classes you will have a designated launch spot. It is right behind the primary sensor (there a two, with the second one used as a back-up). The sensors will be positioned favorable to the ground winds, for CCW pilots. When your plane is released it will go under the beam and then pass through at the end of Lap 1.

Make sure to maintain a steady elevation, roughly chest to shoulder high. Some Jet pilots like to fly low. For them the sensors have to be tilted forward to lower the beam.

Make sure your launch crew knows not to walk through the beam after launching your plane.

None of this is difficult. The system is pretty neat. It will give you the speed of each of your laps plus the average. I like to know the first lap speed and the fastest lap speed.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »
It's a nice system.

Have your camera ready to pho-grap your score while it's still on the screen.

You can learn a lot.  Notes: lap 1 was already 92 MPH.  The 16-lap average was less than 5 MPH below the best lap.
Paul Smith

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »
I assume the sensor is positioned for each line length, what are the tolerances for horizontal distance off center and vertical height?

Best,   DennisT

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 01:51:06 PM »
I assume the sensor is positioned for each line length, what are the tolerances for horizontal distance off center and vertical height?

Best,   DennisT

The sensor positions are marked for each line length. I refer you to Goran Olson's Transitrace web site for all of the technical details. Lots to read.

https://www.go-cl.se/f2atimer.html
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks Bob very interesting information and should be able to stay within the height requirements.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
From the NATs website I see that 1/2A proto is scheduled for Monday July 10th; Perky is Tuesday July 11; and Fox35 is Wednesday July 12. Is this correct? What time will they do a pilots meeting and start official flights? Is preregistration required?

Best,   DennisT

You're better digger than me.  I've been hunting for day-by-day schedules on the AMA site.  All I could get for carrier and scale was the 4-5 day time blocks.
Paul Smith

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 11:38:18 AM »
Paul,
You have to go to the events and click on the IAC Calendar (https://www.modelaircraft.org/iac-calendar) click on the day on the control line box.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here