Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Speed Talk

D Speed Engine Choices

(1/3) > >>

Steve Helmick:
I'd like to fly a bit of monoline speed again. Something with a mini-pipe would be ideal. So, it boils down to D, what with the monoline requirement. I looked for an OS a bit, when Ron Salo was still with us, but never came across one that he said was a good deal, at least not when I actually had the $  f~ up my pants.

Last month, when CLW came to my mailbox, I was surprised to read about a Nelson .65. I've actually seen/held one, but it had a different name on it, that of the guy that sponsored the first batch of 10, I think. Are they really available? How much $? Delivery time? Parts stocks? While on the subject, the CLW Speed article also said Nelsoni .29's were the bomb...pretty much the same questions. How fast would one go with a mini-pipe? I really liked B, back in the 1960's, (the G.65 I had was a POS)  plus I was a pretty skinny kid to hang onto a .65. Not so skinny anymore... **)  Steve

Joey Mathison 9806:
no the nelsons are not around any longer i don't think henry is going to make them any more your best bet is an ops from billy hughes he stocks them ans has parts . a 29 on a mini pipe 165 mph

Bill Hughes:
I stock the OPS .29 with pipe $350.00. I have done 175mph with it. The OPS has been 2nd the past 2 years at the NATS. I also stock the OPS .65 for Class D speed $350.00.
I have only been out at one contest with it. 175 mph, (stock). But it shows that it should go much faster.
I can be reached at  williamhughes4@comcast.net
Bill Hughes

Steve Helmick:
Thanks for your replies. I'll have to think on it. I got really bummed with Italian engines in the '60's. Too difficult to get parts, so couldn't fly as much as I'd have liked. I looked at the Planet Hobby/Rossi website today, and it didn't look like they actually had much in stock; not a big surprise. The .21 Proto event would be very cool, if monoline was allowed.  HB~> Steve

PS: The pic I posted above of me with the B Proto. This was my 3rd B Proto, an original design. I don't recall that I gave it a name, but I frequently did. It had a G.21 .29rv and did 133mph in 14 laps from a standing start, about a year behind NATS winning speeds. Pen bladder, TF 8-8 speed prop. Engine had a K&B .40rr venturi fitted to it, otherwise pretty stock. I guess this was '65 or '66. Mom took the picture, bless her heart.

Joey Mathison 9806:
we now fly on contest supplied 10% fuel my 65 has won the nats for 4 years in a row now same everything, parts do not seem to wear out as often as with the hi nitro days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version