News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cutting Threads  (Read 654 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cutting Threads
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
Guys, I have a Harters C/D speed pan that has three drilled holes that I need to tap for the hold down bolts. I don't have any actual cutting oil and I don't want to buy a gallon of the stuff just to do three holes. A buddy has some but he lives a long way from me and we haven't been able to connect for many months because of this virus situation.

What other oil can I use to tap the holes? Is any oil good enough for the job?
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Cutting Threads
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
WD-40 works fine for me.  Plus the pressure from the container helps clear the chips and grindings.   ZZ

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
Any old oil works good enough for home shop use.  Unless you're tapping some really difficult metal like stainless, in which case you're out of luck anyway.

Super duper cutting oil is for when you're doing the work all the time.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »
standard household 3-in-1 oil works great, as does good ol engine oil.

in a production environment, i'd change my tune because you are counting on tap life.  for hobby purposes, you'll never notice the decrease.  In our case, it's there to keep the aluminum and mag from sticking to the tap, locking it in the hole and making for a very long day.  Don't sweat it, even some veggie oil or Crisco would do the trick in a pinch.

Speaking of Crisco (the white goop, not the liquid), it makes an excellent lapping compound when you're trying to get that last fraction of a micron out of something.  we use it all the time at work on machine components at work that are just a touch oversize for our assembly preferences.  Arm and Hammer toothpaste is also great if you need to be more aggressive with it.  Machine shop hacks 101 hahahaha

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:57 PM »
Unless you are using a press or a drill to tap it which I don't recommend, anything slippery or for that matter nothing at all will work.  I have used dish soap.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »
Thanks guys, I had 3 in 1 oil on hand and it worked really well. I'm now mad at myself for delaying my Twister project waiting for cutting oil. You can probably tell working with metal ain't my cup of tea.  ;D.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
Dennis,
I like the way you clamped the pan down. I'll need to remember that little trick the next time I have a piece requiring "massaging."
Oh, and while a little late, nice guitar! (Been running side open lately)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here