News:

• June 15, 2024, 03:43:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Fox 35 speed  (Read 24309 times)

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Brodak Fox 35 speed
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
I like the idea of oil choice, as long as Paul (the CD) is supplying it and its is 10% Nitro.
Al

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
With all the hub-bub about Fox many people have forgotten that the Perky event will also be flown at the same time. So, because of the wide diversity in Perky engine choices, Pauls fuel choice plan is spot on. I for one will not be using 18% oil in my olde Fox or 29% castor in my Perky.    TS

Why do you provide fuel for Perky? At our contest, with the big diversity of engines in Perky, you run your own fuel. We have everything from  Fox.15s to OPS and we have trophies for the three fastest, the slowest and the average speed ( as was the intent for the event when it was first held.)That avoids the expense to the host club of having a Heinz 57 variety of fuels on hand. But for Fox.35 Stunt, where most will be suing original components, the one fuel makes sense, and like I mentioned before, acts as kind of an equalizer. It's a known entity and factor, so you can build your engine to meet it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »
I understand having all those fuels for the perky and just makes sense to use them with the fox event too.

Dan, if anybody ruined the event it wasn't me. You've got guys up around 100mph and I haven't even taken a test flight yet. I do want to follow this path according to my gifts, at least until I achieve something reasonable. I would hope my thread about developing my Fox engine would be of interest to someone. Apparently, before I started the thread, I wasn't even qualified to talk about the event so, it's done some good for me at least  :P.

MM

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:06 PM »
(trophies for the three fastest)
When you have a big contest for top speed and everyone brings their own fuel, you can't control the nitro that they are using. Upping the nitro in the fuel can increase the speed big time if the guy knows how to use it. Paul did a great job at Brodak last year to make sure everyone was on a level playing field. As far as oil goes, lets say you have an engine with a Nelson glow plug in it and it meets the rules, the CD gives you 29% all castor to use for the event. You would be lucky if you could keep the engine running after you pulled the battery off. To me that would be like saying to all the stunt flyers that the only handle they could use would be a UReely ( kind of an equalizer).

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »
(trophies for the three fastest)
When you have a big contest for top speed and everyone brings their own fuel, you can't control the nitro that they are using. Upping the nitro in the fuel can increase the speed big time if the guy knows how to use it. Paul did a great job at Brodak last year to make sure everyone was on a level playing field. As far as oil goes, lets say you have an engine with a Nelson glow plug in it and it meets the rules, the CD gives you 29% all castor to use for the event. You would be lucky if you could keep the engine running after you pulled the battery off. To me that would be like saying to all the stunt flyers that the only handle they could use would be a UReely ( kind of an equalizer).

Club provide fuel for specific events is typically spelled out in advertising for the event, so the contestant should be prepared for what expects to fly. But I have seen it before, a person drives to an event, unloads and asks,"What's going on?" "What are we doing that for?" and has a bad day. When the concept of the event came up, it was decided that most contestants would be using standard Fox components so the provided fuel needed to address that. One fuel keeps it simple and helps hold costs down for the host club. The event is called "Fox .35 Stunt Speed" and 29% oil is what Fox .35 Stunt engines use.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
To me that would be like saying to all the stunt flyers that the only handle they could use would be a UReely ( kind of an equalizer).

One of the events I mentioned that in an earlier post that started out as an entry level and/or fun eventis P-40 or Profile 40 Stunt. The rules were pretty basic, just like Fox.35 Speed. It had to be a profile model with a side mounted engine, no larger than a .40 engine, no tuned pipes, and a 10 point bonus added to your score if you did not use flaps.  It doesn't get any more basic and simple than that. The no flap bonus was added to encourage entry level flyers to give stunt a try with many of the designs out there that don't use flaps. Trimming a stunt model is easier if flaps are eliminated. After a while some guys started whining, "Why can't I use a ST.51?" Answer, because the rules limit to a .40 or less. "Why can't I mount my engine upright or inverted?" Answer, because the rules say it has to be a side winder. It presents a challenge to get a good engine run on a side mounted engine. After another period of time, rules started getting massaged all over the country to where it's now just called "Profile Stunt" and anything goes. The spirit and intent of the event is gone for the most part. We still run our stunt contest with P-40 rules in the original  version, and this year we upped the anti by adding a 10 point penalty to electric mounted models. Not an outright ban, just a penalty. When asked why, the answer is "The rules call for a side mounted engine. Electric motors have no side mounted orientation, so that presents an unfair advantage." A contestant can still use an electric motor and put it in a model with no flaps and it cancels out the penalty.  So, this type of thing has been addressed in stunt before, and in other disciplines, where an event is established right away people start looking for a way to circumvent the rules or rewrite them to their advantage. Like I have already mentioned, the event is "Fox .35Stunt Speed." Not "Fox .35 Stunt Case and See What You Can Stuff Into It Including More Displacement Speed."
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
Paragraph 14 in the St. Louis Fox 35 Speed Rules says "Fuel will be provided per AMA Rules".

The fuel specification for AMA C/L Speed classes is as follows:

7. Fuel

Fuel of standard formula will be supplied by the contest organizers. The
percentages of ingredients in the fuel mixture supplied must be accurate,
consistent with careful and accurate mixing techniques. Fuel for two-cycle glow
plug engines shall contain 10% nitromethane, 20% lubricant, and the rest shall be
methanol. Fuel for jet engines shall consist of 80% methanol and 20%
Nitromethane.

It doesn't say "Fox Superfuel" blend. It doesn't say "Designer lubricants" to suit individual theories.

So...Why all the variation?

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
 (Fuel for two-cycle glowplug engines shall contain 10% nitromethane, 20% lubricant)
 Yes, in racing at the Nats you get to choose between synthetic blend or all castor.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »

ok we all know we are over stressing the fox 35 in this event , lets just go with 10% nitro,  29% oil ,caster or mix and go with it ,thet the other class's do what they want
rad racer

Jim Roselle

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
     One of the events I mentioned that in an earlier post that started out as an entry level and/or fun eventis P-40 or Profile 40 Stunt. The rules were pretty basic, just like Fox.35 Speed. It had to be a profile model with a side mounted engine, no larger than a .40 engine, no tuned pipes, and a 10 point bonus added to your score if you did not use flaps.  It doesn't get any more basic and simple than that. The no flap bonus was added to encourage entry level flyers to give stunt a try with many of the designs out there that don't use flaps. Trimming a stunt model is easier if flaps are eliminated. After a while some guys started whining, "Why can't I use a ST.51?" Answer, because the rules limit to a .40 or less. "Why can't I mount my engine upright or inverted?" Answer, because the rules say it has to be a side winder. It presents a challenge to get a good engine run on a side mounted engine. After another period of time, rules started getting massaged all over the country to where it's now just called "Profile Stunt" and anything goes. The spirit and intent of the event is gone for the most part. We still run our stunt contest with P-40 rules in the original  version, and this year we upped the anti by adding a 10 point penalty to electric mounted models. Not an outright ban, just a penalty. When asked why, the answer is "The rules call for a side mounted engine. Electric motors have no side mounted orientation, so that presents an unfair advantage." A contestant can still use an electric motor and put it in a model with no flaps and it cancels out the penalty.  So, this type of thing has been addressed in stunt before, and in other disciplines, where an event is established right away people start looking for a way to circumvent the rules or rewrite them to their advantage. Like I have already mentioned, the event is "Fox .35Stunt Speed." Not "Fox .35 Stunt Case and See What You Can Stuff Into It Including More Displacement Speed."
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Maybe someone could devise a formula that takes custom machined parts and money spent into account and pick a winner that way. Then you don't have to fly the models and risk blowing up your custom "fox" engine.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
Aw shucks, that would take away all the fun...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2016, 03:30:51 PM »
Hey Bob, I like that case. Can I put my rib cage in there from 41 years of go kart racing.

MM

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
Hey Bob, I like that case. Can I put my rib cage in there from 41 years of go kart racing.

MM

I guess so. The only thing is you would have to go to Invercargill, New Zealand. The case belonged to the late Burt Munro, famous for his land speed racing exploits on a very, very much modified 1920 Indian Scout.

Actually, what is being done to the Fox 35 Stunt is not so much different than what Burt did to his Indians.

By the way, Burt's not in the case...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
(Actually, what is being done to the Fox 35 Stunt is not so much different than what Burt did to his Indians)
Or what's been done to big block Chevys S?P

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »
Ah yes me and Burt, kindred spirits.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here