News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another "vintage" photo  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Michael Brooks

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Another "vintage" photo
« on: November 12, 2006, 07:46:57 PM »
I found this picture the other day. It's a shot of one of my Dad's early planes from 1946-47. It probably isn't later that 1947 because Dad's Christmas present that year was a new Dooling .61 and the O&R .60 was  then used in a Goldberg Sailplane. The picture was taken in front of my Grandparent's house on Orville in Kansas City, Kansas. I had the remains of the plans for this plane until they just disintegrated. I think it was called a Tornado. Sorry the picture quality isn't very good. I didn't have a lot of luck trying to make it better.

Mike
Mike Brooks
AMA 65566

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Another "vintage" photo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »
Cool dolly! %^
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »
Way cool, thanks for the pic! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:47:41 AM »
Boy that was before my time.  During that period I lived on Matoon Rd which became 38th Street.  We were first house on west side of street.  If my brothers were still around they might know as they would go to City Park and fly on the ball diamonds.  I was out in the Bethel Kansas area when I first flew with the Flying Eagles Model Airplane Club.  That was in 55-56 then moved to southern Missouri.  Didn't get back to KC until 1962.  Right now the only control line circle we have is up at the Northern Knights RC Field north of Claycomo, Missouri.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Michael Brooks

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:58:08 PM »
Gosh Doc, it sounds like we spent time at some of the same places just at different times. I remember going to City Park with my dad. Saw my first combat match there in the late '50s. We moved  to a brand new house on 83rd Terrace in Bethel in June 1962.  Dad and I flew mostly  on the baseball diamonds behind White Church Elementary in the late '60s. Once the bug bit, I spend way too much time in Charlie's Hobby Shop.  ;D  Dad took a job in Arkansas and we moved in Oct., 1969. The pictures were taken in 1970 or so. I rolled papers all summer in 1968 to make the money for the Kansas Twister kit that had set on the shelf at Charlie's Hoby Shop who knows how long. The ST .29 in it was a birthday present in 1968. I still have the plane and the engine. The dolly is long gone.
Mike Brooks
AMA 65566

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:11:21 AM »
When I was flying while in the Bethel area it was at the practice field west of Washington Rural High School.  Spent Freshman and Sophmore years there.    You probably would never find your way around out there now.  I still drive around the old neighborhoods once in awhile just to see how much has changed.  I also spent a lot of time in Charlies Hobby Shop.  I will never forget the day I learned he had been shot in the face point blank.  The guy only got seven years in prison for that.  It seems Charlie forgot to tell the guy he had a small revolver in a holster on his belt.  He was reaching for his billfold at the time.  Do you remember a Dave Mayberry that lived right behind the highschool and flew in his backyard?  DOC Holliday 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Michael Brooks

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
I started high school at Washington HS, although by then, Bethel was in the city. I know what you mean about how it's changed. I was up that way a couple of years ago and almost couldn't find my way around. When we moved to 83rd Terr. in 1962, there were two horses in a pasture behind the house. The pasture was still there when we moved in 1969 but it's long gone now.  I never heard that about Charlie! I don't think I ever met Dave Mayberry but given my memory anymore, I could be wrong.
Mike Brooks
AMA 65566

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here