News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 for Speed.  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Speed Demon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Fox 35 for Speed.
« on: November 06, 2023, 10:13:51 AM »
Hi new here, and new again to CL after many many years Lol. I had some experience with Goodyear back in the 70's. This said.

I have an interest in the Fox 35 speed event. I am assembling equipment to put some planes together and hopefully have some fun.

What I am interested in learning is. What can be done to the old Fox 35 to make the most power from it possible? I am aware of the basics, stuffer back plate, hemi head etc. I am wondering more about port timing changes, piston/sleeve swaps, increasing inlet sizing? Next level mods.

Anyone of someone knowledgeable in this area, or may even offer parts? Thanks

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Re: Fox 35 for Speed.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 11:06:48 AM »
Polish out the "lip" inside the crankcase inlet transfer.
Get a Bill Hughes hemi head insert. (this alone adds 5MPH)
Super Tiger style needle valve assembly. Turn the OD down to .135" diameter only where it crosses the venturi id.
Mill the bottom of the mounting lugs flat.
Use a FOX brand 35 stunt ABC piston/liner. No timing changes made.
Lap backplate mounting surface flat.
APC 8 x 9 prop
40th or 50th anniversary versions do better.

The above gets to 102MPH.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:19:50 PM by Dave Rigotti »
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 11:07:32 AM »
SD,
Since you are coming back I think the first steps should be to get you CL legs back with a sport plane like the Flite Streak or Ringmaster then move to something faster like a combat wing. Once comfortable the FOX 35 speed ships are basic rat racer style ships, lots of plan here: https://outerzone.co.uk/browse_plans/category/results.asp?Level=2&Cat1=CL&Cat2=Sport can do a search at the bottom of the page.

As for engine mods, the stuffer backplate is popular but you could just us the stock one with a very thin gasket and get a similar benefit of keeping the rod from moving to far back. The button head is also popular as are other aftermarket heads that raise the compression. Changing to a better NVA is also something that is done but you can't make the spraybar to small as you need to run suction only so need to have a stable needle. Some have changed the piston/cylinder there are some aftermarket ABC units avialable from time to time. Since the fuel is provided at the contest (by rules should be 5%N) no exotic fuel. Also, no carbon fiber props, commercially available wood or nylon reinforced (APC's or Master Airscrew). Trimming diameter of the props, thinning blades and repitch is allowed.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Speed Demon

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 02:40:54 PM »
Thank you both Dave and Dennis. Very helpful, defiantly a good advice to get going.

Dennis I have done some recent flying with a buddies Ringmaster, that's what get me into my current dilemma. Yes I am working on a couple "practice" planes.

Dave luckily, I still have a good 40th anniversary from slow Fox 35 project some 20 years ago.

Offline Speed Demon

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 06:20:55 PM »
Where can I locate fuel, or something similar to what is required?

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 04:56:39 AM »
Good advice above. Good event that leaves plenty of room for experiments.  Weak point is the crank. Not much to be done but hope you get a 'good' one. There is the Randy Smith unit if you can find one.  Also many parts from other than Stunt .35 will drop in.  TS

Offline Speed Demon

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 05:54:35 AM »
Good advice above. Good event that leaves plenty of room for experiments.  Weak point is the crank. Not much to be done but hope you get a 'good' one. There is the Randy Smith unit if you can find one.  Also many parts from other than Stunt .35 will drop in.  TS

Yes, it is a good formula to be able to compete without breaking the bank. What other parts will interchange?

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 06:05:43 AM »
Piston. Cylinder, Head from any of the .35's from 1957 onward. CS, Rocket, Etc.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 09:53:09 AM »

Fortunately, the world is full of worn out Fox 35 Stunts with surplus crankshafts if you generate enough power to blow a crank. 
Paul Smith

Offline Speed Demon

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »
Ok guys are there any parts from other engines that fit that will offer more power/RPM?

Will parts from the 35X or 35 Rocket for example?

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Before you get all involved in "voodoo speed secrets" the most important thing to know is that piston / cylinder fit is 85% + of the engine performance. The thermodynamic efficiency of a heat engine is directly proportional to the absolute ratio of compression of the cycle. You have to minimize blow-by to the max.

Get the Nelson glow plug head button Dave Rigotti advised and a stuffer backplate. Use the ST needle valve. Build the engine.

Look under the Engine Set Up Tips section for "L&J Fox 35" and follow Larry's break in schedule to the letter for a new P&L set. What you are basically doing is lapping the piston / cylinder to a nearly perfect fit. DO NOT take the engine apart after doing this.

Fuel flow management is also very critical for Fox 35 Speed. The fuel tank position needs to be optimized for the launch and the speed run, especially as the venturi is opened up. Dave mentioned turning down the spray bar. That is a good start. I was able to use a K&B Racing Needle Valve assembly by adjusting my fuel tank in order to prevent the engine from surging on launch.

The devil is in the details. Good luck.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 07:28:24 PM »
Are the rules posted anywhere?  What I was interested in was airframe restrictions.

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 08:18:16 PM »
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 09:47:45 PM »
The only airframe restriction is you have to have one wheel min.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 10:50:23 AM »
I've got a 35 Stunt with a re-timed Brian Gardner piston/ liner/ rod. Very, very few made. Interested ? PM only.

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 11:27:00 AM »

FWIW, Bill Lee acquired an estate collection of many Fox .35 parts notably modified crankshafts & new crankcases for sale at GREAT prices.
If you run a Fox hard enough, you can break crankshafts & more. Can't be beat, try him!  Good Luck.

Paul G.

Hi new here, and new again to CL after many many years Lol. I had some experience with Goodyear back in the 70's. This said.

I have an interest in the Fox 35 speed event. I am assembling equipment to put some planes together and hopefully have some fun.

What I am interested in learning is. What can be done to the old Fox 35 to make the most power from it possible? I am aware of the basics, stuffer back plate, hemi head etc. I am wondering more about port timing changes, piston/sleeve swaps, increasing inlet sizing? Next level mods.

Anyone of someone knowledgeable in this area, or may even offer parts? Thanks

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here