News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 a Speed record  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
1/2 a Speed record
« on: May 13, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Just saw this from 1961, 1/2a record was 112 mph, anyone know what it is today?
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: 1/2 a Speed record
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
it was  a bitter day when the Holland Hornet was surpased by the TD049. I even had sent my Hornets back to have the $5.00 dollar hop up at the factory. I wish that I had at least one on my pile but you can only look at one so much and no more

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Just saw this from 1961, 1/2a record was 112 mph, anyone know what it is today?
I found this on the AMA website and it shows that Carl Dodge has the record for 1/2A speed at 140.40 set on 06/28/2015.

Dennis

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
What engines are they using for 1/2 A speed now?

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 05:34:36 AM »
Good question Robert, and what nitro% are they feeding these little beasts. 140 mph.  n~ :o
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
Here's a little insight on the 1/2A Speed questions....    Most of the engines used are the CS or GZ, from China.  Mr Dodge's record-holder is a homebuilt. All of the speed classes use standard provided fuel, it is 10% nitro.  Back when we could use unlimited fuel the 1/2 A record was over 150, but I don't remember the exact time.  Comparing records from many decades ago and today is an apples and oranges thing.  The line sizes have changed considerably, and in speed flying the drag from the line(s) is way more than what the plane creates.  Back in the fifties, the monoline size was .010 wire and just 35 feet long.  Today the 1/2 A size is .014 and 47+ feet long, probably twice the drag.  Over the decades the engine power has tripled. 

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »
This caught my eye because in 2006 I spent two months driving 10,000 miles around Europe sight seeing and attending model airplane contests.  I flew in  6 contests scattered around Europe.  The final contest I attended was Julio Isidro's great contest in Portugal.  I entered Sport Jet, F2a Speed and F2B Stunt.  Warren Kurth was there entered in Vintage Speed.  He had his 1956 Peanut powered with a Holland Hornet. It had last been flown in 1961.  It was monoline controlled and he was looking for a pilot and I got the job.  The Stanzel monoline unit turned out to be rather sticky after a 45 year layoff as I soon found out.  I also found out that the tall, narrow dolly was prone to tipping with the slightest pull on the lines.  Luckily I got it in the air and after 3 or 4  laps finally found a neutral that was level.  It was flying a little higher than I would have liked but I was not going to move the button and go through trying to fly level again.  The Hornet was running well and we clocked a speed of 106 mph if I remember correctly.  This was 106% of the British class 1 Vintage Speed record and First place overall.  Not to bad for a 50 year old model.  This is most likely the same model as mentioned in the advertisement.  I felt it a real privilege to having the honor of flying this piece of history on it's last flight.  There is a display of Warren's Peanut speed models in the AMA museum.  That model is probably one in the display.

Jim Rhoades

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here