News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:40:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Rules Proposals for 2.4ghz in CL Scale  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New Rules Proposals for 2.4ghz in CL Scale
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
The deadline for submitting new rules change proposals was March 15th.  There are a total of FOUR proposals which have a direct bearing on CL Scale events.  I would recommend that competitors go to the AMA web site -- http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/ruleproposals.aspx -- and read the four new rules proposals.  Three of the four pertain to allowing 2.4ghz radio control of mechanical options OTHER THAN the elevator.

You will find two of them under the section titled "CL Scale Proposals":

CLS 13-1:  A proposal by Grant Hiestand to allow 2.4GHz radio use in CL Scale events for any control other than elevator, which must remain via the lines.

CLS 13-2:  A proposal by Richard Scheider for several tweaks to the CL Fun Scale rules.

The other two proposals are in the section titled "CL General Proposals":

CLG 13-1:  A proposal by Don Burke to change the Control Line General rules section to allow 2.4GHz radios in control line events for any control other than elevator, which must remain via the lines.

CLG 13-2:  A proposal by Richard Perry to change the Control Line General rules section to allow 2.4GHz radios in control line events for any control other than elevator, which must remain via the lines, with final discretion left in the hands of the individual contest boards for each event.

Please read the proposals and let your Scale Contest Board representative know your opinions soon.  The Initial Vote on all these proposals will be at the end of April.

Mike Gretz
Chairman
AMA Scale COntest Board

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: New Rules Proposals for 2.4ghz in CL Scale
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »
One board member's opinion....

I am leaning towards passage of Dick Perry's CLG13-2 proposal in the CL General rules section.  That's the one which simply opens to door to the use of 2.4ghz radio in CL General, but leaves the final authority up to the individual contest boards for each event to choose for themselves whether it should be allowed.  That is the most sensible way to go in my opinion.

No one should be afraid of opening up the language of the CL General section to allow use of 2.4ghz, as long as the competition events themselves are still governed by the individual contest boards.  There are people already using 2.4ghz in CL models.  That's a fact!  It's happening now!  It should be addressed in the general rules for that reason alone, to avoid any potential legal or liability issues for those AMA members who are already using it for sport flying.

Please make YOUR opinion known to your Scale Contest Board representative NOW, if you want to have a voice in this matter.

FYI.. the Scale Contest Board, as well as all the other CL contest boards, will vote on the CL General proposals. 

Mike

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »
I am hoping that Grant's proposal along with Dick Perry's would allow 2.4 Ghz to be used in CL scale. Is it fair to say that we would need to allow Dick Perry's and Grant's to be in place or can CL scale run with Grant's proposal alone?

The whole issue of allowing 2.4 Ghz needs to be looked at as a big picture with all events being considered. If the Scale board only looks at Grant's proposal and does not consider the CL general then they might not understand the big picture. There are conflicting proposals including some in CL carrier. I have a feeling that all of the 2.4 Ghz proposals will require some "Editing" once the big picture is determined. Some will be approved with some editing and some will not be approved.

This is a game changing topic that needs to be addressed.

I already have letters printed up for the Scale contest board members ready to send out.

Fred Cronenwett
Proudly flying with electronic controls since 1991
Wichita, KS
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Fred,
The short answer is YES, both the general proposal and Grant's proposal will need to pass in order for 2.4 to be allowed in CL Scale events; and NO Grant's proposal can not "run" on its own.  I asked this same question to AMA Technical Director Greg Hahn (the rule book master), and his reply is below.
Mike

"The way it works the General rule change must be approved before the scale rule is valid. So yes you’re correct if neither of the General rules prevail the Scale rule cannot be put into place.

If neither of the general proposals pass but the scale rule passes it will go into the rule book pending the day the general section does change.

This is exactly like the use of braided lines last cycle. The individual events passed the rule to allow but the general had to pass also and the safety committee had to agree. The rule went into the book pending general and safety approvals.

If the events want RC to pass they need to lobby all other CL events to pass the general rule.

Greg"

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »
As a voting member of the Scale Contest Board, I am presently leaning strongly in favor of Dick Perry's proposal (CLG 13-2) to amend the CL General rules to allow the use of 2.4ghz radio signals in CL models, to control functions OTHER THAN ELEVATOR.  As I said earlier, this is already being done, and I think it is important for legal and liability reasons to allow it in the general rules.  It would still be up to the contest boards for the individual events to determine if they want to allow it in competition.

Regarding Grant Hiestand's proposal to allow 2.4 in CL Scale events, I am waiting to be lobbied on that.  I am not against it in principal, but I think it is critical to get the opinions of the AMA members who are actively flying the events.

Fred.  I need to point out that Grant's proposal is not very well put together.  In the section of the proposal titled Brief summary of the proposed change., he clearly states that his intent is to, "Allow 2.4 ghz radios to be allowed in CL scale events to control auxiliary functions."  That is totally understandable and without contradiction.

However, in the next section titled Exact wording proposed for the rule book., Grant is very vague, with no specific mention of 2.4, or what events his proposal would apply to (need specific rule book paragraph numbers).  The words he does propose only mention the use of electronic controls down the wires, and then he quotes the FAI rule about the same thing, down the wires.  What does this have to do with 2.4?

If Grant's proposal passes the Initial Vote, it will need a more clearly worded Cross Proposal if you want any hope of it passing the Final Vote, in my opinion.

Mike

Below is Grant's proposal, as submitted to the SCB.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
We have three categories for a reason:

• Free Flight - F1 - Vol Libra, for those who prefer no controls.

Control Line - F2 - Vol Circular, those who prefer mechanical control via lines.

Radio Control - F3 - for those who want electronic controls.
If you prefer RC, just fly RC and GET OUT OF CONTROL LINE !!!!

Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
CL scale has been using electronic controls for a long time, transmitting signal and ground down the flying lines. Switching over to a wireless system (2.4 Ghz) is still a form of electronic controls, just without transmitting down the lines. While I agree 3-line works just fine it can only control one function. Once you set up and fly with electronic controls you will probably find out that you won't install a 3-line bellcrank again.

The model will still be a CL model since it still has a bellcrank and flies in a circle. With 2.4 Ghz we would allow a better way to control aux functions especially electric powered models. Models with 2.4 Ghz, down the line electronic controls have never had an advantage over models with 3-line control. Now that Taxi is only worth 10 ponts it getting harder to fill out the 6 options with only the throttle.

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Not if you build a plane that actually flys. 
Sure, it's easy to use a "rudder wag" as a manuover.  Too easy.
Paul Smith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »

Huh?

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:53 AM »

If you prefer RC, just fly RC and GET OUT OF CONTROL LINE !!!!

Paul,

The point is that there are evidently quite a few people who still love the feel of flying control-line, but they want to expand their enjoyment by being able to perform additional mechanical operations, without loss of flight performance due to heavy coated lines.

The use of electronics in control line has been with us since the dawn of control line, although I admit it was with limited success through the 50s and 60s.  In 1973 a radio transmitter was first modified to send it's signals down insulated lines (by US Scale Team members Mike Stott and myself).  That form of control has been going on for nearly 40 YEARS now!  In fact it has become the predominant method for serious CL Scale competitors worldwide.  

Mike

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:31 AM »
TOO easy!

The point values were set based on  the fact that making a control line model with a throttle, retractable landing gear, fully functional flaps, and rotating gun turrets would require tremendous mechanical skills and if successful, would deserve to win.

But with off the shelf RC parts all of this could simply be bought and installed with no creativity whatsoever.  If RC is allowed, the points values for these gizmos need to be SUBSTANTIALY downgraded.

Tail wag: At The Brodak somebody with a lobotomized (supposedly) RC system in his plane actually wanted to use a "rudder wag" as a 10-point flight option.  I don't know if the judges let him get away with it.  This is the kind of cheap tricks that RC-CL will bring out.
Paul Smith

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »

At the 2010 FAI in Poland I saw many competitors use "leaflet drop", talk about an easy option. But it is a legal option. We all don't have to use what the rules allow. We need to find ways to enhance c/l scale competition or it will die. I think it's a good idea, I may not use it, but it's still a good idea. The scary thing for most people is "CHANGE". We never done it that way before.

Keith, I think I remember your Martin Baker being 5 line control? ( a beautiful airplane I might add) I would never dream of trying that, what if you had the option of 2.4Ghz back then?

Just one mans thoughts.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
Tail wag: At The Brodak somebody with a lobotomized (supposedly) RC system in his plane actually wanted to use a "rudder wag" as a 10-point flight option.  I don't know if the judges let him get away with it.  This is the kind of cheap tricks that RC-CL will bring out.

Page SC-7 AMA SCALE RULES, paragraph 10.2:  Options may be any maneuver listed in the rule book under AMA or FAI CL Scale rules, or any scale operation (retract gear, flaps, bomb drop, crop dusting, etc.) typical of the aircraft modeled but not to include climb or dive. They must be listed on the judging form before flying.

Page SC-12 AMA CONTROL LINE SCALE FLIGHT JUDGES GUIDE, paragraph 4.14: Other Scale Operations/Flight
Maneuvers Not Listed. A contestant may elect to perform a scale operation or an optional flight maneuver of choice, provided it is within the capabilities of the prototype aircraft. Such a maneuver should be explained to the judges before flight. A short description of the maneuver may be requested by the flight judges.

If I were the flight judge I would strongly discourage a competitor from trying to use the paragraph from the FLIGHT JUDGE'S GUIDE to claim a frivolous option like "rudder wag".  Or "elevator wag" or "aileron wag".  They do not fit a strict interpretation, and certainly not the intent, of the actual 10.2 RULE, in my opinion.  Note that the rule says that "maneuvers" must be listed in the AMA or FAI rules, and that "scale operations" must be prototypical.  I believe the intent is also that the "scale operations" must be mechanical in nature, based on the partial listing shown.  

If a judge were to bend and allow such a frivolous maneuver, I hope he would use his discretion as a judge to give it the 0-2 points it deserves.  NOTE: NOTHING is an automatic 10 points in scale competition, contrary to some statements you hear.  Mechanical options must not only work, they must be presented in a prototypical scale manner.  But that could be the subject of a different discussion on another day.

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 07:20:17 AM »
At the 2010 FAI in Poland I saw many competitors use "leaflet drop", talk about an easy option.

Allen,

I agree that leaflet drop is not one of the more difficult scale operations you will see.  It's been going on in FAI for many years (seems like there is always at least one competitor at each WC using it).  I think the reason the FAI judges allow it is because it is a mechanical option.  Did the guy using it win?  Usually not! 

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »
I was asked in a private email which contest boards will be voting on the CL General proposals.  They are:

Control Line Carrier Contest Board
Control Line Speed Contest Board
Control Line Aerobatics Contest Board
Control Line Combat Contest Board
Control Line Racing Contest Board
Scale Contest Board

If the proposal to allow 2.4ghz were to pass all six of these boards and amend the CL General rules, then each of these boards would decide which of the events under their jurisdiction they will open to 2.4.  Also, voting on the individual events would not come up automatically just because the General rule passed.  There would have to be a proposal by an AMA member to the governing contest board to open up each event.

On other words, opening the CL General rules to 2.4 does not automatically make it the rule for any events.  Not until, or if, the governing board for each event votes to allow it.

As I keep saying, opening CL General to 2.4 is important for sport flyers too, who are already using it for fun.  I would hate to see their AMA insurance voided because of the current wording in CL General.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
Being an old timer in control line flying several different events thru the years, I would welcome the 2.4gz radios for control line as long as the elevator is still control by the control lines via a bell crank.   I still have my servo operating system I used in carrier way back in the 80's.   Managed a 6th in Class II.   I am still trying to figure out what scale project I would lke to tackle.  So I hope that it gets passed in the General section that the radios can be used. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
I have a 6 channel electronic controll system in my Extra 300s (insulated lines).  A big airplane that flies on a 120 4C Sato.  It has smoke.  Turn on the smoke fly 3 laps in a clime and dive pattern - couldn't be easier.  Looks scale crowd loves it.  So what does easy have to do with the number of points awarded.  I think a resistance to change is based on the desire to limit competition.  I want to win but bring on the competition!  As long as the elevator is controlled by a bellcrank it is still controll line.  So bring on the 2.4 ghz.  I will still fly my insulated line rig.  And besides many will still fly 3 wire throttle - and beat your pants off.

I just test flew my Brodak LA-5.  I did my first loop with it.  Loops great.  A nice big sweeping scale looking loop. Dead easy compaired to the timing of a missed approach.  Would you suggest because it is easy it's not a ten point manever.

My Extra 300S has ailerons and rudder.  On take off I stop in front of the judges and do a preflight  waggle of the controll surfes.  Not considered a manaver just part of the realism of flight.

Next it will be suggested that maneuvers should have difficulty ratings like Olympic diving. That would be really stupid and kill our sport.

You think 2.4 ghz is corny.  How about an electric Ringmaster in OTS.  LL~  We move on or we die.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
Mike;

The winners at the 2010 FAI did use leaflet drop.

If my memory is correct, didn't Ralf Berstine have a Holiday Inn Pitts at the FAI worlds in Muncie several years ago, use a rudder/tail wheel control as an option?

Blessings
Allen

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
As I have stated before, all one has to do is say "rules" and the place goes wonky. Being one who can seriously relate to being an old timer, I can definitely attest the fact that we resist all change. However, what I really enjoy is the building of scale model airplanes of unusual subjects. So just tell me what rules are and I will comply. It won't diminish the enjoyment that I get from the hobby.

Admitting that I am not the most versed in 2.4GHz technology, I tried to find out what I could via the internet. What I read somewhat concerned me that it may not be as foolproof as it has been portrayed. It was stated that the big name manufacturer's systems (Futaba, JR) were trustworthy but there were also some lesser named Chinese manufacturer's equipment that were not so. So, I guess my prime concern would be that we don't create a control line problem for other concurrent events (the Nationals come to mind). It would be terrible if our control line operations brought down any of the R/C scale ships. If my concerns are unfound, I take no exception.

Jim Fruit

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
As I have stated before, all one has to do is say "rules" and the place goes wonky. Being one who can seriously relate to being an old timer, I can definitely attest the fact that we resist all change. However, what I really enjoy is the building of scale model airplanes of unusual subjects. So just tell me what rules are and I will comply. It won't diminish the enjoyment that I get from the hobby.

Admitting that I am not the most versed in 2.4GHz technology, I tried to find out what I could via the internet. What I read somewhat concerned me that it may not be as foolproof as it has been portrayed. It was stated that the big name manufacturer's systems (Futaba, JR) were trustworthy but there were also some lesser named Chinese manufacturer's equipment that were not so. So, I guess my prime concern would be that we don't create a control line problem for other concurrent events (the Nationals come to mind). It would be terrible if our control line operations brought down any of the R/C scale ships. If my concerns are unfound, I take no exception.

Jim Fruit

Also don't know exactally how 2.4 Ghz works.  But the whole idea is that it won't interfeer with RC flying.  I also suspect that the scale RC folkes use good equipment. I would hope that the ability to reject unwanted transmitters are in the smarts of a good receiver.  Besides RC folkes fly multiple 2.4 side by side with no problem.   We will be hundreds of feet away from them.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Grant Hiestand

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
Great comments on this thread guys!  As one of the proponents of the 2.4ghz rule, my intent (sorry about not getting the exact wording correct Mike!)  was to open the door for making MECHANICAL options easier to set up for scale pilots.  I have been flying CL for 40 years, and have won a good deal of contests over the years (Including two Nats Precision scale events) using standard 72 mhz radios modified to send signals down the lines.  My goal, as it has always been, to keep innovation alive in our segment of the hobby. 

Every year we are bombarded with ever newer and greater smart phones, smart TV's and smart cars.  Very few of us would want to go back to the days of no internet or vacuum tube televisions.  What about going back to the days of vacuum tube RC sets from the 40's?  No RC'er today would ever dream of doing that.  Yet, when you think about it, that's the era OUR beloved CL hobby comes from.  It has not changed much in 70 years, save for the use of modified radios and servos to control the aux functions.  As I stated before in a previous thread, Keith Trostle beat my contest winning electronic control Spacewalker with a 3-line Martin Baker.  He did it by flying smoothly and having great static points. 

The point is, electronics controls do not give anyone a slam-dunk win in any contest.  Period.  What we need to consider is (as Mike Gretz mentioned), people ARE flying models equipped with 2.4ghz radio, right now.  It's here and it will spread.  Heck, even the signage on the AMA flying site clearly states 2.4ghz only! 

We need to address this issue if for nothing else to make it legal and available to the hobbyist, should they want to use it.  I've been flying 2.4ghz for two  years on my sport models with no interference issues whatsoever.  However, I still fly my contest birds with polyurethane coated lines and older radios as per the current rules.  Switching to 2.4 will mean I can fly everything with uncoated lines, a real weight/drag savings.  Flying 2.4 would allow me to use my Futaba's S-bus technology, meaning I can greatly reduce the amount of wiring in my model, making construction neater and simpler to setup at the field.  Oh, and it's almost essential for us electric fliers that we have some sort or electronic control for our speed controls!

I work in a technology field everyday, so I'm somewhat biased in hoping this rule passes, even if only for CL General.  There'd still be a bit of a battle getting it passed in other disciplines, but that's up to each individual segment to hash out.  Those of us who have flown 2.4ghz realize what a wonderful 'tool' it will be to add to our flight boxes.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Grant

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

(Clip)

Keith, I think I remember your Martin Baker being 5 line control? ( a beautiful airplane I might add) I would never dream of trying that, what if you had the option of 2.4Ghz back then?[/b]

Just one mans thoughts.

Blessings
Allen[/b]

Allen,

Thanks for the mention of the Martin Baker MB 5.

First, I want to comment on previous statements where it appears an individual feels that the use of the 2.4 GHz system somehow makes it too easy to add optional flight functions to a CL model and in that light, the individual feels that somehow in doing so, the sanctity of our CL models is wrongfully breached.  I might ask anyone who feels this way to show us a simple way to incorporate a retracting gear, or flaps, or moving turrets, or bomb drop with operating bomb bay doors, or whatever other functions that might be attempted for our CL models, regardless of the method to actuate whether it be by some secondary function from a 2-line system or a 3-line system, or extra lines, or timers or some variation of signals down the lines.  The point is, to incorporate a practical and reliable operating function in these models takes some initiative and work regardless of the method used to actuate the function.   It is A LOT more of a task than the alledged simple use of

"off the shelf RC parts....[which] could be bought and installed with no creativity whatsoever." claimed earlier in this thread.

The Roberts 3-line system opened the door to reliably and effectively use a throttle.  What a tremendous advance in our equipment that was and still is.  The 2.4 GHz is just another evolutionary step to give us a system that offers reliability and control without the performance limiting additions of an extra line, or lines, and/or insulated lines.  Furthermore, the 2.4 GHZ adds a degree of safety in that the power can be controlled if the lines are slack.

Now that I have had my time on the soapbox---

Yes, that Martin Baker has 5 lines.  Even though electronic systems were in use at the time, this model was started in the early 70's and I chose to use lines to control various functions.  Having tried a retracting gear on a stunt ship several years before, I chose to avoid the complications and problems that would create.  (That was also before the advent of serious penalties for not retracting the gear in scale models where the full size airplane did.)   It has the standard Robers 3-line system for the throttle.  The other two lines are connected to another bellcrank that actuates the shutter that controlled the airflow through the air scoop on the bottom of the airplane.    That bellcrank was mounted in a mechanism so that with the shutter full open, a spring loaded overcenter actuator would deflect the flaps, then with the shutter fully closed, the flaps would close.  The model has running lights that can be turned on and off by a switch actuated by a push-on/push-off switch next to the throttle pushrod.  It has operating ailerons and rudder which are free to operate with the cockpit controls.  For flight, these control are connected to the throttle control and adjusted so that for high speed, there is neutral ailerons and slight right rudder; for slow speed, there is some right aileron and more right rudder.

At the Nats Precision Scale events, that model was 3rd in 79, 2nd in 96 and 1st in 2000.  The model is in the Muncie AMA museum.  It is interesting to me that it is displayed beside Warren MacZura's 1/12 Grumman Gulfhawk that won scale at the 1960 World CL Championships, with the construction article in the American Aircraft Modeler 1968 Annual.  I used that article and plans for the machining of the shock absorbing gear, shock absorbing swivieling tail wheel, and sliding canopy on my Martin Baker.

Keith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Here is a link to a book I wrote on CL scale and electronic controls back in 2001. look on the right hand side, 1/2 way down the page. Some of the data is dated, but the 2.4 Ghz system would eliminte the need to insulated lines as explained above. 2.4 Ghz is just another form of electronic controls that is wireless.

http://www.eicnetwork.com/eic/Scale.html

Fred Cronenwett
proudly flying electronic controls since 1991
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
You've got to realize that with 2.4 gHz (R/C) the model would require a receiver, battery, antenna and wiring harness (added weight/ mounting space).
With the traditional insl. lines everything is in the handle, assuming a 2 wire setup whereas the servos are the same/ same.
Just my 2c.  ;)
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
The Recievers are very small and if flying with electric power you don't have a 4.8 volt battery. The speed control that I use has a BEC circuit which takes power from the main battery and powers the reciever. Weight impact is quite small especially if you consider the electric BEC combination.

With a 2.4 Ghz model and electric power you would have this in the model

1) reciever
2) wire harness
3) main battery
4) speed control

with a glow engine you need the following

1) Reciever
2) wire harness
3) 4.8 volt battery, only need a small one
4) Servo, micro dues just fine.

I have a 41" span Grumman Tigercat (profile scale) and it has a 4 "AAA" batteries in the nose, 2 micro servos, on/off switch and some wires, and all of this is hidden inside the profile structure except the head of the servo. And this model uses single channel system.

The trick is to put this hardware where you need it to balance the model anyways. the larger the model the smaller percentage of the overall wieght. on my larger models that are over 8 lbs, the additional weight of this hardware is barely noticable. on smaller models it might be an issue.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
The Recievers are very small and if flying with electric power you don't have a 4.8 volt battery. The speed control that I use has a BEC circuit which takes power from the main battery and powers the reciever. Weight impact is quite small especially if you consider the electric BEC combination.

With a 2.4 Ghz model and electric power you would have this in the model

1) reciever
2) wire harness
3) main battery
4) speed control

with a glow engine you need the following

1) Reciever
2) wire harness
3) 4.8 volt battery, only need a small one
4) Servo, micro dues just fine.

I have a 41" span Grumman Tigercat (profile scale) and it has a 4 "AAA" batteries in the nose, 2 micro servos, on/off switch and some wires, and all of this is hidden inside the profile structure except the head of the servo. And this model uses single channel system.

The trick is to put this hardware where you need it to balance the model anyways. the larger the model the smaller percentage of the overall wieght. on my larger models that are over 8 lbs, the additional weight of this hardware is barely noticable. on smaller models it might be an issue.

Fred Cronenwett
The smallest indoor receiver will do - you never get more than 60' away. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
What would you think the additional weight would be? There is discussion on this subject (2.4 gHz R/C legality and rules proposals) down in the Carrier forum where the models are smaller and space is at a premium.
An electric throttle without the drag penalty of insl. lines would be soooo much nicer. You wouldn't have the slop of a third line and a monkey-motion bellcrank setup.
Sometimes I think this entire forum needs dragged into the 21st Century.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
What would you think the additional weight would be? There is discussion on this subject (2.4 gHz R/C legality and rules proposals) down in the Carrier forum where the models are smaller and space is at a premium.
An electric throttle without the drag penalty of insl. lines would be soooo much nicer. You wouldn't have the slop of a third line and a monkey-motion bellcrank setup.
Sometimes I think this entire forum needs dragged into the 21st Century.

It can be done with 1 to 3 oz.  But the weight gain is all in the noise (most scales are tail heavy) and the total weight gain may well be 0.  You are removing other stuff while adding a receiver and battery.  If you are electric powered aircraft it may well lose weight because you already have a battery on board.

If you factor in reduction in line weight and drag it will be much more efficent.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »
I notice that some of you are worried about the weight in the model for electronics control.

I picked two U/Tronics Control Decoders and weighed them.
  4 channel Decoder weighed 13.22 Gr
  7 channel Decoder weighed 17.78 Gr
  Mini Servo 9 Gr
  High torque servo 39 Gr
  4 NiMH AAA 1800 mAh batteries in a case with an ON / OFF switch 61.03 Gr

I use the High Torque servo in my CL Scale 1914 Jeannin Stahltaube to Warp the Wing to perform a realistic "Wing Wave" maneuver.  Be sure to NEVER do that maneuver up wind.

Here is a video taken by Frank Carlisle.  It is over 12 minutes long and it was all shot at the Brodak Fly-In.  At 7:40 on the 4th or 5th lap flying I do a Wing Wave.

http://www.youtube.com/user/frankcarlisle#p/a/u/1/h7iml6TUTo4

As a Judge how many points would you give me for my Wing Wave?
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here