News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which Transmitter to buy?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which Transmitter to buy?
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
I flew my Cosmic Wind using a typical R/C airplane Tx. I cradled it in my left arm. It worked, but not ideal. I'm going to need a car/boat type Tx with 2.4 receiver that I'll operate in my left hand while flying with my right hand.
I see on Ebay many Car/Boat Tx units for as little as $30. Most of them are by FlySky . Do they work? Can any of you folks recommend one worth getting? Also, If you get a 3 or 4 channel one are the switches/pots easy to get to for other options beside throttle? Thanks PhillySkip

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which Transmitter to buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
I prefer to have the the controls at my right hand finger tips.  So I modified a Hobby King car radio guts to fit on my handle.   Having said that I have worked with electronics all my life.  It takes a fair amount of knowledge to do such a modification.  Another solution is to hang the aircraft transmitter on your belt and work it with you left hand.  Me personally I prefer a non spring loaded throttle stick.  That way you can set a throttle setting and it will remain set till you move it.   A spring loaded trigger is ok at full throttle or idle but in between is hard to hold steady.

Anyway to answer you question  any brand will work well.  You are only need a 60 ft range.  I have used Hobby King in the past because they were cheep.  They have always worked.   Next question: The extra channels on a car radio are hard to work with one hand.  They are designed to work the throttle with the left hand and the rest with the right.

Personally if I get back into scale I would go with an aircraft style transmitter hung on my belt like Fred does it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
Thanks for answering my questions. I do have a cheapie light weight aircraft Tx I could put on my belt. Maybe I'll try that first. It would be easier to operate various functions with that set up. Cheers,Skip

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
Boy John, I sure hope you can get back into scale, you always did such a fine job!  You've been missed.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
There are lots of options here are some of my thoughts on the choices having flown with all of the types of handles except for two of them.

1) handle with lines and trigger & toggles - these don't work for me because you only can use 3 fingers to hang on and with larger models I like to have all four fingers with a tight grip on the handle. and when you reach up to flip the toggle you jiggle the handle just a little bit and the model is not flying level simply because you touched the handle.

2) RC car transmitter in left hand - this where you fly with your right hand and operate the rc car transmitter trigger with your left hand

3) RC transmitter with neck strap - the transmitter hangs on with a neck strap at your stomach, put Velcro on the bottom of the transmitter and your shirt and it won't move. operate the throttle stick and toggle switches by feel, not by looking at the transmitter

4) Use transmitter tray - this is a tray that holds the transmitter at your belly, the tray hangs on our shoulders. these trays were designed for RC pilots, might take some looking around to find one of these

5) Belt clip - Make a simple belt clip to hold the transmitter on your belt. Again do it by feel.

The last 4 options use a normal CL stunt handle, actually any handle you want. I like the handle to be as small and as light as possible. I don't want to look at it or touch it otherwise the smooth flight will have a bump in it and will look bad. The dedicated handles with everything built into the handle including the toggle switches and trigger to are too big and clumsy for my tastes.

Over the years I have tried all of these except #3 and #4 but I can understand why they are being used today. I have been using the electronic controls since 1991 and converted to 2.4 Ghz in 2013 but the whole time I have been using the belt clip which is easy to put in my tool box.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
Neck Strap and Transmitter Tray
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
belt clip, does not matter which transmitter I use the same belt clip is used
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
RC car handle for throttle, make flaps or retracts a challenge because the other channel is the wheel that has to be converted to a toggle switch
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
Fred thanks for your detail explanation.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Skip -

One other thing I do is use one transmitter for multiple models. The transmitter has model memory so it saves the settings for each airplane. Each airplane has it's own handle and set of lines but all of the models are flown with the same transmitter.

If you have a handle transmitter combo you have to transfer the lines to the handle for the different airplanes and you end up adjusting the neutral elevator setting every time to switch from model to model. By having one set of lines per plane I adjust the neutral elevator once and never have to do it at a contest or flying session.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
That's a very good point about the model memory.I'm like you in that I have a set of lines with handle for each plane. Not having done this before it seems  that hanging an aircraft Tx off your belt with throttle stick and switches easily accessible might be the best route for me. I'm not planning on getting very serious about scale,but I do like the idea of being able to control more of a planes functions even for sport flying.

I want to build a semi scale warbird stunter with IC power and retracts .This Tx deal would seem to be the ticket. Cheers,PhillySkip

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
I like the FlySky 3 channel system.  Trigger for the gas pedal, steering wheel for the launcher and push button for an option.

Receivers go for $3 to $4 each.

Three or four AAA dry cells work good as tip weight.  It's hard to get Lipos into the 4.5 to 6.0 volt range. 
Paul Smith

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »
Thanks Paul. BTW I'm moving very nicely on both my Sportsman Speed and Carrier ships.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Here's a follow up question... How is the FSGT3B?

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
Taranis Qx7 it should do anythin you can dream of. 100$ and the receivers are 30$
Put it on a tray like the others did and yo are good to go.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
T. I'll check that QX7 out,Thanks,Skip

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »

I posted this picture of a modified Futaba AM controller before. All that was required was drilling a hole to relocate and mount the throttle mechanism. The trigger and spring were removed and just the potentiometer was used. No soldering as the wires were long enough to reach the new location. The servo wheel is rotated by my left hand; forward to advance the throttle and rearward to slow down. That leaves my right hand free to hold the handle. I tried for a location where I could use my right/handle thumb to throttle but there was no room.

Interesting that the R/C flyers in the club took an interest and donated and converted the controller into a C/L handle. I had been using an air Tx on my waist.

Ara

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
       I posted this picture of a modified Futaba AM controller before. All that was required was drilling a hole to relocate and mount the throttle mechanism. The trigger and spring were removed and just the potentiometer was used. No soldering as the wires were long enough to reach the new location. The servo wheel is rotated by my left hand; forward to advance the throttle and rearward to slow down. That leaves my right hand free to hold the handle. I tried for a location where I could use my right/handle thumb to throttle but there was no room.

Interesting that the R/C flyers in the club took an interest and donated and converted the controller into a C/L handle. I had been using an air Tx on my waist.

Ara

I have seen many car Tx modified in this manner.  The only problem is that it should be 2.4  gh radio.  An AM radio is not AMA legal for contests.  It's ok for sport flying. Just be sure that you are not close to a RC flying sight.  Not much of the AM stuff around but in the name of good will be careful!   HB~>
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
I ended up buy the Flysky 3 channel car radio . I discovered that this unit requires that you have a car type ESC because of the trigger/ brake set up on the Tx. When using an aircraft ESC no amount of playing with the programming would allow me to stop the motor from spinning except when brake was applied.You can't use it like this. I'll have to find a car ESC to use.....unless I'm doing something wrong.If using a glow engine (no ESC) the radio would be fine.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
I ended up buy the Flysky 3 channel car radio . I discovered that this unit requires that you have a car type ESC because of the trigger/ brake set up on the Tx. When using an aircraft ESC no amount of playing with the programming would allow me to stop the motor from spinning except when brake was applied.You can't use it like this. I'll have to find a car ESC to use.....unless I'm doing something wrong.If using a glow engine (no ESC) the radio would be fine.
I don't think a car ESC would help.  Not familiar with the Flysky car Tx.  Can you adjust the trigger travel (mechanical stops) to get rid of most or all of the brake travel. (some cars use the back travel for reverse).  And then adjust the throttle trim for off at neutral.  I set my rig up so that when I wave at the judges for engine start I turn the throttle trim knob up till the motor is idling.  You must emulate a gas model engine run.  The motor must never stop during the flight.  After landing and doing the taxi lap I turn the motor off by turning the throttle trim back down.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
This is creative.

The B&W shot is really something I would be interested in this one.

I've said this plenty of times, I can design a handle I need help with the electronics.

This way many guys can have the same handle. Plans, parts list etc.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
Take a long gander through all the neat toys this guy can create... lots of applications for scale , combat, or stunt

I got a micro single channel pocket transmitter, RX, and fuel cut servo with batteries  so I can stop a flight as desired with a glow engine for vvery Little added weight

Cool guy easy to chat with and design a system to your needs

http://microflierradio.com/
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
I'll check it out,thanks!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
Charles they both look good.....but I'm sure costly.....Skip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
John to my knowledge you can't adjust the mechanical stops on the throttle /brake trigger. I look more closely. BTW I was not aware that the motor had to continue spinning during the entire flight.Thanks for jumping in. PhillySkip

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
I would be interested in finding more about the scale master handle, there was one developed in the 1990's and looked similar and wondering if it's the same one. Is the Scale Master handle being produced currently or just an old image that has been floating around the internet for awhile.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

I modified the stop in the transmitter so that lowest throttle setting is off. You have to get in and to take it apart and figure out how it works and cut some plastic pieces. So it is not for everyone.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
I modified the stop in the transmitter so that lowest throttle setting is off. You have to get in and to take it apart and figure out how it works and cut some plastic pieces. So it is not for everyone.

The good news is that the Tx was cheep.  So if you trash it you haven't lost a lot!  And if you fix it all is good.    LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »
I'll go in there and take a look. Thanks ,Skip

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
I'll go in there and take a look. Thanks ,Skip

Some pictures of the Tx innards would be interesting.    y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
John I'm deep into finishing a Shark 45 and my Sportsman Speed plane right now, as soon as I get a chance I'll take it apart and post pics,Thanks

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
The belt hung transmitter has the great advantage of being portable with the pilot.  You can control the throttle or esc at the model.  Very handy when starting or tuning.  The speed control isn't 60 feet away in the center of the circle. The cheap Hobby King units work fine for this.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
The belt hung transmitter has the great advantage of being portable with the pilot.  You can control the throttle or esc at the model.  Very handy when starting or tuning.  The speed control isn't 60 feet away in the center of the circle. The cheap Hobby King units work fine for this.

Yes.

However. If you have a removable 'module' it can be placed at the model then carried and attached to the handle 60' away, preferably attached at the bottom or better yet, on the side.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
Yes.

However. If you have a removable 'module' it can be placed at the model then carried and attached to the handle 60' away, preferably attached at the bottom or better yet, on the side.

And who makes such an item? It would have to be a radio transmitter, and if using more than one channel, would have to be quite large, a typical R/C transmitter? Can you elaborate a little more on this please?
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here