News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When photos and 3-view don't match  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
When photos and 3-view don't match
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
So, I bought this nice package of beautiful pictures of an Ercoupe, along with three 3-views, none of which quite match each other or the photos.

To which documentation do I build?  Should I build to the pictures and let the 3-view I use for scale documentation not quite match?  Reverse that?  Build to the pictures & red-line the three-view for any modifications?  What?

Thanks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: When photos and 3-view don't match
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:07:51 PM »

speaking from experience pick one picture and build to it, the picture over rides the 3 view. the 3 view shows how it is supposed to look but the picture shows how it actually looks
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
speaking from experience pick one picture and build to it, the picture over rides the 3 view. the 3 view shows how it is supposed to look but the picture shows how it actually looks

That's what I thought.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:29:56 AM »
Tim,
 "Build to the pictures & red-line the three-view for any modifications? " You are right here. In your documentation highlight the errors on the three-view and clearly direct the judges to the photo that shows that area on the prototype.
Chuck

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »
In a nutshell, what is / are the main issues with the drawings? What model Ercoupe are you considering?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
In a nutshell, what is / are the main issues with the drawings? What model Ercoupe are you considering?

415C.  The pack came with three three-views; none of them agree on the height of the rear fuselage -- one has it coming below the bottoms of the vertical stabs, and curved a bit, one has it exactly even with the bottoms of the vertical stabs, and one has it a bit above.  Two show a straight elevator, only one shows the notch in the middle.  None of them agree on the wheel placement.

Just little things.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »
Tim,
 "Build to the pictures & red-line the three-view for any modifications? " You are right here. In your documentation highlight the errors on the three-view and clearly direct the judges to the photo that shows that area on the prototype.
Chuck

Thanks.  I knew I'd read that someplace.
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Tim,

make sure the photos agree with each other, you don't want one picture that has a different color, detail or paint scheme. All of the pictures in the documentation package should be from the same airplane.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
Tim,

make sure the photos agree with each other, you don't want one picture that has a different color, detail or paint scheme. All of the pictures in the documentation package should be from the same airplane.

Fred

Same airplane, same time.  One walk-around + detail, plus three-views.  It's from this guy.  I went for a simple plane with a simple color scheme.
AMA 64232

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
I see a couple of options. One, do more research to find a better scale drawing. You might want to look at Aircraft Documentation Services owned by Dave Houk. It's the former Bob's Air Doc.http://www.airdoc.biz/index.html

Two, pick the best of what you have and point out the discrepancies. One technique used by a National Champion was to paste enlarged, cropped photo details of the areas in question right next to the detail on the scale drawing in the documentation packet. It was pretty effective.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
Tim,

You might find this site useful: http://www.ercoupe.info/?n=Main.Drawings

Look at Dwg. A-616
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »
one my youtube videos on how to select and prepare the 3-view for competition. Bob is right sometimes you have to keep looking for the best 3-view. Some 3-views are not correct and should not be used.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »
 winners

Navy fighters are easy.  They were just painted dark blue and pushed over the side at the first sign of trouble.

[/quote]

That is not only wrong but one of the stupidest, asinine remarks I have ever seen on the forums! A lot of brave men flew from those decks, great pilots all, some Medal of Honor winners and remarkable men on and below deck also!

Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
I try to use documentation of a airplane that I can photograph myself so that I get the pictures I need and also get the color chips matched up. Wartime or older pictures are hard to work with because you often don't have enough pictures of that one particular aircraft or you are missing a key angle such as the top of the wing or one side of the fuselage.

I have some projects I have not finished not because the 3-view was bad but because I couldn't find enough pictures of one plane to prove the paint scheme. Worse yet try to prove you have the right color when all you have is black and white pictures.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
Fred:

Couldn't agree more. This is why I take advantage of air shows like EAA Oshkosh. That is where I took a hundred photos of the Rearwin Speedster (Ole No. 1). The result was plenty of proof and high static at the Nats.

Jim Fruit

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here