News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Plane would you like to model?  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
What Plane would you like to model?
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:55:04 AM »
Gentlemen;
    I'm curious about which plane you would like to model. Do you need it to be a kit, or would you design it yourself. Would you make it profile or full fuselage? I have a couple I'm starting a P47 Thunderbolt from the Top Flite Gold edition RC kit. It has been my favorite airplane since I was a kid and spent my summer evenings watching the one now parked in the Air Zoo doing aerobatics over the farm. I'm also going to design my own profile of a twin engine fighter/bomber. I'm leaning towards the ME110, but I have been looking at some of the Japanese twin engine bombers from WWII.

Leroy

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: What Plane would you like to model?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Hi Leroy, an Me-110 would be so cool. I have a thing for German airplanes. I always liked thier looks the best. I have plans for a Jack Sheeks Me-109, and for a TA-152, from whom I  dont remember. I hope to get to one of them this winter. Most likly the 152. I prefer to build from plans. I dont think anybody kits the planes I like the best, but there are plans for them. Funny, everything I have flying now is an ARF. I need to get busy. My friends I grew up with are wondering where my WWII planes are. They think the stunters are neat, but not what they expected from me. We built alot of plastic models togather as kids. Unfortunatly they have all succumbed to the BB gun and firecracker. The models, not my friends.  ;D

I like P-47s alot too. They have never really been done justice til latly, with Sparky's Jug and Werwage's Thunderbolt. Those look great to me, even if they are semi scale stunters. I think they are some of the sharpest looking warbirds I have seen in my short time back in the hobby.

There is one warbird I will build completly from scratch, but I dont want to say anything yet, as I doubt it has ever been done. It may have, but I never even heard of this particular plane til recently, and it gave me goosebumps when I saw it. Such an awesome looking plane to me. More details later on that later  :X

Oh, and the P-38 I like so much, and the Mosquito, and the Hurricane kit I have, not to mention the beautiful P-51, how about an Me-410, and maybe a C-47.......... f~

Looking forward to some great scale airplane pics soon like the ones you put up a few weeks ago Leroy. I saved many of them.

See you soon

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:45:27 PM »
Hi Leroy,

For some strange reason, I would really like to build a Fokker DR-1 Triplane.   ???

Second choice is a B-17.  y1

I am starting with a couple of old kits of the Top Flite 1"-1' "Sharpshooter" P-51D with the Superform fuselage shells.  I have the 3 line system, but no R/C engine to use in it! :lol:

I also have a Sterling Great Lakes Biplane around 1"-1' scale.

Got a TON (way too many) stunt engines, but nothing with a carb now.  :'(

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ronald Hopping

• if your not flyen your not tryen!
  • New Pilot
  • they all gotta die someday!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:28:20 PM »
Leroy i am starting a profile me 109 but i would to like to try a b-17 **) **) **)
Ronald

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
Hey guys-----this is a nice thread you started here Leroy.
I've been thinking about doing some ww2 warbird paint jobs. Camo ya know.
Frank Carlisle

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 11:01:48 AM »
I've always wanted to build a nice, semi scale, full fuse B-25 with about a 56"-60" span. I'm a little too lazy to completely scratchbuild one though. Everytime I think about it I think about building the engine nacelles and immediately start thinking of a different
(easier) project. Maybe someday... :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
I've always wanted to build a nice, semi scale, full fuse B-25 with about a 56"-60" span. I'm a little too lazy to completely scratchbuild one though. Everytime I think about it I think about building the engine nacelles and immediately start thinking of a different
(easier) project. Maybe someday... :)

Maybe you can find one of the old Royal kits (R/C) which would be easy enough to convert to C/L.  They were pretty good size and made a good looking B-25 model.

I have seen a guy at Brodak's who brings out his B-17 which I think is a Royal kit, and flys it in "formation" with another guy who has a Zero.  Both are throttle control, 3 line I think.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 09:24:39 AM »
Great question, there are bunch of scale kits I always wanted to build.
Old Top Flite Form Flite scale models are pretty small, but good flyers if kept light. The Mustang is the best as it is the biggest. I think a modern 25 R/C engine would be great. The P-40 and Thunderbolt are good, probably best powered with 09's. I have a couple, yet unbuilt.
My eldest son built a Nats winning Focke Wulf from a Guillows 27" (3/4 " to 1') kit, he sheeted it with 1/32nd and it was powered by a Fuji 09 R/C with a JRoberts three line bellcrank, so all of the larger Guillows kits are possibilities.
My scale stuff is from 1/2A to 60 sized. Consolidated F4U, Typhoon, Stuka, Mustang, Zero and Focke Wulf. Scientific Beechcraft, Sizzlin' Liz Mustang, F-82 Twin Mustang, etc. Enterprise Caudron, and stuff like that. The old 35 sized stuff I have is the Capitol Beechcraft, Sterling Monocoupe, Mr. Mulligan, Corsair, etc. I'd like to build clones of my collection of Berkeley Swee' Pea, Minnow, Shoestring (as B TR's first) and Little Stinker, too.
I am researching for a P-39 Airacobra from the old Red Box TF R/C kit. It is going to be a major redesign of the nose, but then what is easy about building kits? I guess it is going to be more of a guide!
My new Old Time Stunt model is scale too. There are a ton of old plans around that have potential for OT.
I guess I want to build a lot of models, I better start cutting wood.
Chris...

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:06:12 AM »
Chris,
You need at least 5 life times!
AMA 7544

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 04:51:40 PM »
Frank:
    You need to build your SE5A first, before you start a WWII subject ;D There seems to be a lot of people who look to build a WWII type airplane or a WWI fighter, but there are lots of nice plans for the classic racers. Granted my profile Laird Super Solution didn't do to well this year at the Nats, but I had just finished it and I started with plans for a semi scale stunter, even though I modified the plans to make it more scale like, I must have missed some items that I thought wouldn't be noticed

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
Hi Leroy,

Do you know of any plans for the Cosmic Wind Goodyear racer?  I would like it a *little* bigger than the Berkeley kit plans I now have.  Something in the LA 46 powered size or even up to a .60.

I also have so nice Shoestring plans (a little on the small side, too) but the CW is my all time favorite "racer"!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 10:44:51 PM »
Bill,

You commented on the Cosmic Wind and the Shoestring.

Paul Plecan did a 2"=1' scale model of the Cosmic Wind Minnow in the January 1949 issue of Air Trails.  This is not as big as what you are looking for with a 38" wing span but is not a small model.  It would make a very impressive CL scale model.  (This is the Cosmic Wind #4 with the bronze color scheme trimmed in cream.)  The plans are typical of Plecan's outstanding work.  Plans are available from the AMA plans service.

S Calhoun Smith did a larger version of the Shoestring other than his design that was used in the Berkeley kit.  The September 1952 issue of Air Trails has his 1 3/4"=1' version with a 33" wing span.  I am surprised that I could not find a listing for this in the AMA plans service.

Both of these are nicely proportioned for CL scale work. 

As far as I know, there were never any plans published or otherwise available of the fabulous Little Toni by Ted Prasol at the 66 Nats on the cover of December 1966 Flying Models.  This was painted red with yellow trim and had a 48" wing span.

Keith Trostle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:21:07 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info!  I remember the Prasol "Little Toni" from the magazine.  I sure do wish that the plans were available for that one!

A 38" Cosmic Wind Would be a pretty good sized model considering the 2"-1" scale.

I will have to take another look at the Shoestring plans I have.  It appeared to be about 33" or so in WS, but I haven't looked at them in a while.

The "Little Toni" was my favorite color scheme, but the Ballerina and Minnow were pretty good looking, too.  I can't remember off hand which was the green and which was the bronze, but I *think* the #4 was the Ballerina and the #5 was the green Minnow.

These types of subjects seem perfect for three line control due to their simplicity.  Nothing "extra" to activate.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 01:20:50 AM »
Bill,

If the Shoestring plans you have are from the Berkeley kit, it is smaller than the one that Calhoun Smith had published in Air Trails.  The Air Trails plans would be an easier build than trying to scratch build from the Berkeley kit plans.

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:12:59 AM »
Bill;
    If you would like a model for fun scale you could build the Great Planes ARF Cosmic wind. It is 0.60 size. Converted to C/L it should make a nice looking model for fun scale. the Tower Item number is LXKAG2 the weblink is http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAG2&P=7

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
Bill,

If the Shoestring plans you have are from the Berkeley kit, it is smaller than the one that Calhoun Smith had published in Air Trails.  The Air Trails plans would be an easier build than trying to scratch build from the Berkeley kit plans.

Hi Keith,

My Berkeley plans are for the Cosmic Wind kit.  The Shoestring are Hobby Helper or some such.

The Berkeley Cosmic Wind would be a tougher build from the kit plans for sure.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »
Bill;
    If you would like a model for fun scale you could build the Great Planes ARF Cosmic wind. It is 0.60 size. Converted to C/L it should make a nice looking model for fun scale. the Tower Item number is LXKAG2 the weblink is http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAG2&P=7

Leroy

Thanks, Leroy!  I'll look into it.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 07:17:34 AM »
Ty,
Regarding your SBD. A guy would want retracts in it because then it would be a world class FAI model.
Chuck
Son of a WWII Marine Corps SBD gunner

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »
Don Hutchinson offers an EXCELLENT set of profile SBD plans for .40 power. It's about a 50" span. :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »
Ty;
    Sky Shark RC has a nice SBD kit all laser cut. It even comes with a complete cockpit.
http://www.skysharkrc.com/index.htm

Leroy

Offline TedKraver

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »

For controline scale, I would love to build a functional SBD-3/5 Dauntless.  With the flaps, tail hook, throttle, bomb drop, lots of canopy, cockpit detail, round engine, carrier plane, what more could a guy want?? 

I have a couple of friends who flew the -3 at the Battle of Midway. My quest over the next year is to finish my still at the wood stage SBD-3 profile, 48 inches with Webra Speed 40, with all of the above plus dive breaks. I have also developed a scale flight plan that is actually a typical BOM mission including and over the top dive bombing maneuver, a bail out of the wounded gunner, and arrested landing. (guess who has played Navy Carrier for 51 years!)

My favorite  planes to model? 

In younger years they were the incredibly beautiful and sexy Tigercat  F7f-2 and 3 the grandest Navy Cat.  The other was the Curtiss D-III/  IV in the1911  Eugene Ely version, the aircraft that invented Navy Carrier flying.

But now I am tired of TigerCats and my final and best "Ely Flyer" was destroyed in a house fire. 

So the two next full bodied planes I will scratch build for Sport and FAI scale are the Beachey Little Looper (Full sized Replica at San Diego Air Museum) and the Convair  POGO (original available at Smithsonian) with a Webra Speed 50.  My first Pogo flew well in Navy Carrier with a Nelson 35, but I was unable to landed it.  I want to fly the original acrobatics that Beachey flew in  1914-1915.  The Little Looper is similar to the Curtiss D-IV  but with a rotary engine out . It of course has no body just outriggers. So the pilot and seat determine whether it is a profile or full body. So I guess I could fly it in both sport and profile scale.

Cheers

Ted Kraver - Arizona

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 10:59:43 PM »
As I have mentioned eariler - This winters project is to convert my 90" Eindecker to UC.  Next I am thinking of a Howerd Huges racer.  I think I saw some plans on Ebay
 n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »
As I have mentioned eariler - This winters project is to convert my 90" Eindecker to UC.  Next I am thinking of a Howerd Huges racer.  I think I saw some plans on Ebay
 n~

I have a set of the Hughes Racer.  They are rather large designed for R/C.  The set I got only had the "short" wing plans, it's supposed to have two sets of wing plans.  Or maybe there are notes/patterns to make the long wing one on what I have.  Haven't taken TOO close of a look at them, yet. 

The plans are fine, and it looks like the plane would be a good one.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 11:53:22 PM »
Walt Musciano did a nice CL Hughes H-1 Racer in the November 1963 issue of Model Airplane News.  This was a bigger model than the usual models publshied by Musciano.  The scale is 1 3/4" = 1' and powered by a 60.  Plans only show the short span version with about a 45" span.  The fuselage is slightly longer.  The cowl around the engine is more than 6" in diameter.  The plans show operating split flaps.

In  my opinion, this is one of Walt's better designs that he has had published.  It makes into  a really nice sized model for control line.

Plans are available from the AMA plans service.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »
I have several that hold my interest for scale subjects or semi scale stunters. Since I am an ex model carrier flyer I would like to build a scale model Grumman Guardian or a semiscale stunter which has been done by Bill Werwage and Berkley Models. I would do the same with a Skyraider or an F105. I saw a lot of those in Thailand 65-66. As a matter of fact I have had a lost foam setup for Bob Hunt's F105 for years on the next to do list.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Gentlemen;
    I'm curious about which plane you would like to model. Do you need it to be a kit, or would you design it yourself. Leroy

Many years ago (35) I drew up some rough drawings for an F8F Bearcat. I think that would be a fantastic scale model.  It gives you the appearance of brute power. As I recall it was about the end of the line for prop driven military planes and it's performance was right up there at the top.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 10:32:10 AM »
Many years ago (35) I drew up some rough drawings for an F8F Bearcat. I think that would be a fantastic scale model.  It gives you the appearance of brute power. As I recall it was about the end of the line for prop driven military planes and it's performance was right up there at the top.

There have been several CL scale Bearcats published over the years.  I do not claim that his is an exhaustive list.

1.  Walt Musciano did a 3/4' = 1' design in American Modeler, Feb 61.  This one is typical of the many 3/4" designs that Walt published over his long career.

2.  S. Calhoun Smith did one to about 1" = 1' scale in Air Trails, Nov 52.  He designed this for the carrier but the model would make into a very presentable package for scale.  The plans for this are interesting in that the scale articulated retracting gear function is shown on the plans, though the actual construction and installation of such a gear is not provided.  The plans only show the detail for a fixed gear.

3.  For its time, one of the best CL scale articles was published in the 68 American Aircraft Modeler Annual showing the Bearcat in Gulfhawk colors by Warren Maczura.  This was a 1/10 scale (1.2" =- 1') model.  The plans show lots of great detail for shock absorbing gear, flaps, lights, sliding canopy, drop tank, cockpit details, and well thought out construction details.  This did not have a retracting gear.  The model was good enough to win first place at the first World CL Scale Championships (1966) in England.  (The model was proxy flown by Bob Gialdini who was a stunt judge at that World Championships.)

These plans are available from the AMA plans service.  The AMA plans service also lsits several larger RC version for the Bearcat.

Keith Trostle
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:21:07 AM by Trostle »

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
There have been several CL scale Bearcats published over the years.  I do not claim that his is an exhaustive list.

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 07:44:14 PM »
Leroy
My Favorite is the P-38.  I have one hanging in the garage that I built in 1983 and was published in Model Aviation in March 1986.  It is detailed to match Lefty Gardners P-38 that he had modified for air racing, FAA # N25Y.  It can be entered as Military or civilian.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:24 AM »
Clancy;
    I have seen the article on your P38 it is a very nice looking P38!

Leroy

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »
Leroy, The P-38 used my 5 Channel U/Tronics (1982 version) right throttle, left throttle, flaps, retracks + landing lights, brakes on main gear.  The only problem with separate throttles is that when I started to do my first ever NATS flight I hit the right throttle only and ground looped the model.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 05:50:21 AM »
Clancy;
   That would make for a rough start! You didn't cut your lines did you? I saw a Profile P38 with what seemed like 5 or six wires on it ground loop. He I think had individual throttles also. When he ground looped the one prop caught several of the wires and cut some and wrapped the others right around the motor shaft. It was a mess, and did not fly again at the meet.

Leroy

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »
Leroy
No I didnot cut the lines.  As Chuck Snider said in his comments on "Electronic Controll", I was able to shut down the engines before any damage was done to anything other than my pride.   I had done some thing that day that I had never done to the engines before.

The ST 35 PDP engines are mounted inverted and were a bit hard to start.  SO I got the idea to prime them before starting them!  Wrong.  We tried to start the left engine and it backfired and threw the prop.  Put the prop back on and the engine started.  Primed the right engine and repeated the process.  After re-attaching the prop we started the right engine.  Remember this was my first ever NATS flight.   I should have not tried to take off, the ground loop probably saved the model.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
  B-29   and  PT-17

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 06:16:21 PM »
Bill,

You commented on the Cosmic Wind and the Shoestring.

Paul Plecan did a 2"=1' scale model of the Cosmic Wind Minnow in the January 1949 issue of Air Trails.  This is not as big as Keith Trostle

It just so happens that I have a copy of that issue of "Air Trails".    That "Minnow" is on the cover, and that is one of my favorite covers.   Great old stuff...hard to beat it!!

This is a superb drawing/painting of course, but I could not find any credit for it inside the issue, and as you can see, the lower, left corner of the cover is missing.  The bronze and cream color scheme that Keith mentioned would make a spectacular CL model.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »

This is a superb drawing/painting of course, but I could not find any credit for it inside the issue, and as you can see, the lower, left corner of the cover is missing. 
Cheers.

Warren Wagner

I have a copy of that same magazine with the cover intact.  There is no signature on the cover artwork.  However, the work is typical of what S. Calhoun Smith was doing at that time.  I think it would be a safe bet that he generated this piece.

Keith

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 11:25:23 AM »
I have a copy of that same magazine with the cover intact.  There is no signature on the cover artwork.  However, the work is typical of what S. Calhoun Smith was doing at that time.  I think it would be a safe bet that he generated this piece.

Keith
IIRC, they sometimes put the artist credit inside on the table of contents page.....Ill check mine..
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
That Minnow kinda looks  like the Shoestring Stunter.  RSM has kit.  y1

Ty,

Not to be disagreeable , but the Minnow is quite different from the Shoestring.   The Minnow is *very* low wing, right at the bottom of the fuselage, and the tips of all the flying surfaces are squared off, giving it a very rakish, aggressive look, which I really like.

The Shoestring is a mid to shoulder wing plane, with tips of the flying surfaces all rounded off.

I saw Bob Whitely's Shoestring at the Nats (2001, believe), and it's very impressive in person.   Would like to build one, someday.   His plane was the source of the RSM kit.

I believe all my fact are correct, but I must add a disclaimer due to failing memory !!!!   <g>

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
Ty,

Not to be disagreeable , but the Minnow is quite different from the Shoestring.   The Minnow is *very* low wing, right at the bottom of the fuselage, and the tips of all the flying surfaces are squared off, giving it a very rakish, aggressive look, which I really like.

The Shoestring is a mid to shoulder wing plane, with tips of the flying surfaces all rounded off.

I saw Bob Whitely's Shoestring at the Nats (2001, believe), and it's very impressive in person.   Would like to build one, someday.   His plane was the source of the RSM kit.

I believe all my fact are correct, but I must add a disclaimer due to failing memory !!!!   <g>

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

To add into this, although the Shoestring and Minnow were contemporaries in the Good Year racing scene, they were quite different.

The Minnow was one of three planes in the "Cosmic Wind" series.  The red "Little Toni" #3, the bronze "Minnow" #4, and the metallic green "Ballerina" #5. 

IIRC, these three planes had some sort of tie in with Boeing.  I just can't recall the specifics.

I love them all!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 07:27:41 PM »
Pretty small too. Like giant scale models with humans in them!! %^
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 08:18:19 PM »
Pretty small too. Like giant scale models with humans in them!! %^

**) **) **)

So true!!!!

**) **) **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2006, 08:52:04 PM »

The Minnow was one of three planes in the "Cosmic Wind" series.  The red "Little Toni" #3, the bronze "Minnow" #4, and the metallic green "Ballerina" #5. 

Bill <><

The "Little Toni", a close relative to the "Minnow", graced the cover of Flying Models, Dec 1966.   They do look very much alike.   It may not show up in this scan, but on the original cover, one can see the lead-out cables exiting the left wing tip, indicated that this model is a controliner.

The 'cover information' reads:

"Front Cover:  Ted Prasol's beautiful replica of the famed "Little Toni" Cosmic Wind Racer.  It spans 48", just under 8 lbs., powered by Fox .59R/C.  Controline aircraft, a superb finish.  ...'66 Nationals."

So "Cosmic Wind" was the parent design, with the three mentioned above, variations on the original.

Also note, that the "Talon" stunter by Jim Kostecky, was a construction article in this issue.  Jim sure built spectacular planes.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2006, 10:21:01 PM »
Dang, thats a big spinner!! It sure does dwarf that Tornado prop!!!  %^:o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 12:40:51 AM by Richard Grogan »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 11:57:21 AM »
Well, since I purchased one of Clancy's 5 channel controls and am building a FW 190 for sport scale as my intro to scale (sport scale) I'll enter my first pick for FAI scale.  I got my private license in a Tri-Pacer, later owned the same airplane, and think it has to be my first pick.  I've not done any research yuet for plans or documentation, but am settled on it.  I regret that I only have one picture of old N8621D on hand, it would be a plus to model my old ship!
Will  y1
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:17 PM »
Will
I have an old set of plans for a Tri-pacer.  They are from a Sterling kit.  Wing span 58 3/4, Length 39 1/2.  They might get you started.  If you want then just say so and I will ship them to you, no charge. 
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
Hi Clancy,
Wonderful, the size is within  a range I had in mind!  However, I also need to order one of your slide pots for my throttle control - I wasn't thinking and got an audio taper pot by mistake.  Bummer of a control thing, simply not acceptable.
Email me at wilhint@henry-net.com with your cost on it, & please include shipping, and I'll get the money headed your way. 
I may blow the "Tripe" up around 10%, but no more.
Thanks a heap!!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »
Maybe you can find one of the old Royal kits (R/C) which would be easy enough to convert to C/L.  They were pretty good size and made a good looking B-25 model.

I have seen a guy at Brodak's who brings out his B-17 which I think is a Royal kit, and flys it in "formation" with another guy who has a Zero.  Both are throttle control, 3 line I think.

Bill <><

Man this post has really got me going, for the past couple of years I have been considering the idea of making some sport scale kits but didn't think that it would be very receptive. The P-39 kit is somewhat of a step in that direction but staying with stunt. I don't want to or mean to hijack this thread with that idea so I'll start another one but in the meantime here's my old B-17
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
Hi Walter!

Royal kit, or plans built, or......???  ???  ???

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2006, 02:40:13 PM »
Sorry about that, it was/is a Royal kit.

She had 4 R/C OS Max 25's

Throttle, Flaps, Rudder offset and aileron at low speed, Bombbay doors and drop drop, manual turning Gun turrents, and I even made the guns movable.   

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
Walter;
   Again another fine looking airplane! y1 y1 y1

Leroy

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »
WOW..great feedback..if you want to build a warbird..THE one that ended it all in the pacific and put the lid on WW11...HELLCAT...God, what a perfect ship at the perfect time...maybe HE had a hand in this at our time of of the tipping point of life as we know it know..my dad flew one......and my mom got the dreaded telegram..

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
I am going to suggest that whatever you decide to build you "MUST" be in love with the subject. Whatever it is. That is the only way you will have the desire to put the time in to complete it. Trust me "I" know.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »
I am going to suggest that whatever you decide to build you "MUST" be in love with the subject. Whatever it is. That is the only way you will have the desire to put the time in to complete it. Trust me "I" know.

Hi Dick,

I can believe that!  The two favorite planes of mine have always been the B-17 and the P-51D.  So far I have not built a B-17 "flying" model, and only one "flying" P-51D (43 years ago, Veco kit!)

I *think* it is because I want to build them *perfect* when I do, so I haven't tackled them.........yet. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
Already did in 3D!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:25:39 AM by Peter Nevai »
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »
Peter;
    Great looking drawing!
Bill;
    I have a nice Wing MFG B17 short kit designed by Charlie Bauer. It has a 96 inch wingspan and will be powered by four 0.25 engines. I may go electric with it, but at the moment it is a couple of projects away from the building board. HB~>

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »
Peter;
    Great looking drawing!
Bill;
    I have a nice Wing MFG B17 short kit designed by Charlie Bauer. It has a 96 inch wingspan and will be powered by four 0.25 engines. I may go electric with it, but at the moment it is a couple of projects away from the building board. HB~>

Leroy

Hi Leroy,

Is the short kit still available?

TIA
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
Bill;
    It is still available you can get them on line at http://www.wingmfg.com/. They have a bunch of nice easy models that can be converted to CL sport scale. They even have a B25 that placed first in RC scale a few years ago. The Short kit includes the foam wing cores, plans, all of the plastic pieces, and the hard wood. Some of the kits have optional wood kits that are laser cut. I got all of the formers for the fuselage laser cut out of 1/8 inch plywood.

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »
Thanks, Leroy!

I saved the site to my favorites.  There are several subjects there that I like! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »
Bill;
    Glad to be of some help!

Leroy

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
Bill,

Keith, please tell me: Was a later variant of the Cosmic Wind re-designed with a mid-to-shoulder wing? The true Cosmic Wind was a low-wing design, all 3 planes. Right?
(Little Toni. Minnow, etc.)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
Mike,
You are right, there were three Cosmic Wind low wingers, Little Toni (red), Minnow (Met. bronze) and Ballerina (met. green).
One of them, or another wing and tail from the production run parts (some have said as many parts as would make seven were produced) was mounted mid wing on a steel tube fuselage and numbered race #4 in the 40's.
This airplane flew for a long time and footage of it was part of the lead-in for the ABC Wide World of Sports TV show as race#6 shown from a wide angle rudder mounted camera flying the pylons by Bob Downey in the 60's.
(Me and my wife saw Ballerina ( green and cream stock low-winger) in a hangar at Duxford England between a couple of Spitfires. Our friend said it had been flown in races around Europe and British Aerobatic Champion Neil Williams had won an aerobatic contest with it!

Chris...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
I have a list of WHAT NOT TO  BUILD.

I won't build anything that has been over-modeled or offered as a kit or an ARF.  I don't want people thinking I just glued a kit together, or the other, and far worse possibility.

I will not build (another) retractable-gear model unless I actually use retracts.  They punish you too much on flying points.

I will not build a Shoestring, Little Tony, or any model that has been used as an RC pylon racer.  I certainly don't want my plane to be mistaken as one of them.

On a note of political correctness, I chose to model aircraft only from the United States of America, NATO, and the FWMAF.   A lot of people, other than dedicated scale modelers, will assume that my choice of subject matter indicates support of the chosen power, and maybe rightly so.

The above list tends to exclude a lot of designs, but there are still a lot more left than anybody has time to build.

Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
WOW
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:25:05 AM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
lol, how about an offbeat one,, my all time want to model airplane,, Blom and Voss Bv 141! look that one up itll make your head spin.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 01:51:05 AM »
Like this one?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
yep thats the one exactly!
I love that plane, not cause its sleek,, its not,, not cause it won wars,, it didnt, but because the designer had the gonads to do something different and it worked
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »
 n~
Well I converted and crashed the Eindecker.  So now I am building an Extra 300S.  Hopefully it will be HOT just like the real one.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
B-24 Liberator :o
AMA 59633

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
lol, how about an offbeat one,, my all time want to model airplane,, Blom and Voss Bv 141! look that one up itll make your head spin.

I did a profile Peanut indoor FF of this back about 1970. Flew right-right...  ::) , and not as bad as I'd expected. Not good, mind, but not awful. We were in the Boston area back then. A hobby shop in Dedham Mall convinced security that early on Sunday mornings, access to the main concourse for a bunch of toy airplane fliers, was safe, and would stimulate business when the doors opened later in the day. We also had occasional Saturday night (after hours, of course) get-togethers... ASIR...

I've heard that some Malls open early to "Mall Walkers" - who get their exercise by taking walks. Good PR, exercise in all weathers. As the stores are closed, the walkers can see them, get a temptation, perhaps, from the window displays, etc. (They'd roil the air too much for Indoor FF, except possibly an Indoor/Outdoor  robust Peanut or some such... , and I don't think security would be as tolerant these days...)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
It just so happens that I have a copy of that issue of "Air Trails".    That "Minnow" is on the cover, and that is one of my favorite covers.   Great old stuff...hard to beat it!!

This is a superb drawing/painting of course, but I could not find any credit for it inside the issue, and as you can see, the lower, left corner of the cover is missing.  The bronze and cream color scheme that Keith mentioned would make a spectacular CL model.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

Attached is a poor quality photo that I took at the nats many years ago...this model made the cover of one model magazine...can't remember which one...too many pain pills, I guess?
What an attractive model...that has ruled my Minnow Mind for years.
opps! If I had just read the entire post. LL~ LL~ n~ n~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here