News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:44:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Plane would you like to model?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: What Plane would you like to model?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »
WOW..great feedback..if you want to build a warbird..THE one that ended it all in the pacific and put the lid on WW11...HELLCAT...God, what a perfect ship at the perfect time...maybe HE had a hand in this at our time of of the tipping point of life as we know it know..my dad flew one......and my mom got the dreaded telegram..

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
I am going to suggest that whatever you decide to build you "MUST" be in love with the subject. Whatever it is. That is the only way you will have the desire to put the time in to complete it. Trust me "I" know.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »
I am going to suggest that whatever you decide to build you "MUST" be in love with the subject. Whatever it is. That is the only way you will have the desire to put the time in to complete it. Trust me "I" know.

Hi Dick,

I can believe that!  The two favorite planes of mine have always been the B-17 and the P-51D.  So far I have not built a B-17 "flying" model, and only one "flying" P-51D (43 years ago, Veco kit!)

I *think* it is because I want to build them *perfect* when I do, so I haven't tackled them.........yet. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
Already did in 3D!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:25:39 AM by Peter Nevai »
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »
Peter;
    Great looking drawing!
Bill;
    I have a nice Wing MFG B17 short kit designed by Charlie Bauer. It has a 96 inch wingspan and will be powered by four 0.25 engines. I may go electric with it, but at the moment it is a couple of projects away from the building board. HB~>

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »
Peter;
    Great looking drawing!
Bill;
    I have a nice Wing MFG B17 short kit designed by Charlie Bauer. It has a 96 inch wingspan and will be powered by four 0.25 engines. I may go electric with it, but at the moment it is a couple of projects away from the building board. HB~>

Leroy

Hi Leroy,

Is the short kit still available?

TIA
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
Bill;
    It is still available you can get them on line at http://www.wingmfg.com/. They have a bunch of nice easy models that can be converted to CL sport scale. They even have a B25 that placed first in RC scale a few years ago. The Short kit includes the foam wing cores, plans, all of the plastic pieces, and the hard wood. Some of the kits have optional wood kits that are laser cut. I got all of the formers for the fuselage laser cut out of 1/8 inch plywood.

Leroy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »
Thanks, Leroy!

I saved the site to my favorites.  There are several subjects there that I like! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »
Bill;
    Glad to be of some help!

Leroy

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
Bill,

If the Shoestring plans you have are from the Berkeley kit, it is smaller than the one that Calhoun Smith had published in Air Trails.  The Air Trails plans would be an easier build than trying to scratch build from the Berkeley kit plans.

Keith, please tell me: Was a later variant of the Cosmic Wind re-designed with a mid-to-shoulder wing? The true Cosmic Wind was a low-wing design, all 3 planes. Right?
(Little Toni. Minnow, etc.)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
Mike,
You are right, there were three Cosmic Wind low wingers, Little Toni (red), Minnow (Met. bronze) and Ballerina (met. green).
One of them, or another wing and tail from the production run parts (some have said as many parts as would make seven were produced) was mounted mid wing on a steel tube fuselage and numbered race #4 in the 40's.
This airplane flew for a long time and footage of it was part of the lead-in for the ABC Wide World of Sports TV show as race#6 shown from a wide angle rudder mounted camera flying the pylons by Bob Downey in the 60's.
(Me and my wife saw Ballerina ( green and cream stock low-winger) in a hangar at Duxford England between a couple of Spitfires. Our friend said it had been flown in races around Europe and British Aerobatic Champion Neil Williams had won an aerobatic contest with it!

Chris...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
I have a list of WHAT NOT TO  BUILD.

I won't build anything that has been over-modeled or offered as a kit or an ARF.  I don't want people thinking I just glued a kit together, or the other, and far worse possibility.

I will not build (another) retractable-gear model unless I actually use retracts.  They punish you too much on flying points.

I will not build a Shoestring, Little Tony, or any model that has been used as an RC pylon racer.  I certainly don't want my plane to be mistaken as one of them.

On a note of political correctness, I chose to model aircraft only from the United States of America, NATO, and the FWMAF.   A lot of people, other than dedicated scale modelers, will assume that my choice of subject matter indicates support of the chosen power, and maybe rightly so.

The above list tends to exclude a lot of designs, but there are still a lot more left than anybody has time to build.

Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
WOW
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:25:05 AM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
lol, how about an offbeat one,, my all time want to model airplane,, Blom and Voss Bv 141! look that one up itll make your head spin.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 01:51:05 AM »
Like this one?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
yep thats the one exactly!
I love that plane, not cause its sleek,, its not,, not cause it won wars,, it didnt, but because the designer had the gonads to do something different and it worked
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »
As I have mentioned eariler - This winters project is to convert my 90" Eindecker to UC.  Next I am thinking of a Howerd Huges racer.  I think I saw some plans on Ebay
 n~
Well I converted and crashed the Eindecker.  So now I am building an Extra 300S.  Hopefully it will be HOT just like the real one.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
B-24 Liberator :o
AMA 59633

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
lol, how about an offbeat one,, my all time want to model airplane,, Blom and Voss Bv 141! look that one up itll make your head spin.

I did a profile Peanut indoor FF of this back about 1970. Flew right-right...  ::) , and not as bad as I'd expected. Not good, mind, but not awful. We were in the Boston area back then. A hobby shop in Dedham Mall convinced security that early on Sunday mornings, access to the main concourse for a bunch of toy airplane fliers, was safe, and would stimulate business when the doors opened later in the day. We also had occasional Saturday night (after hours, of course) get-togethers... ASIR...

I've heard that some Malls open early to "Mall Walkers" - who get their exercise by taking walks. Good PR, exercise in all weathers. As the stores are closed, the walkers can see them, get a temptation, perhaps, from the window displays, etc. (They'd roil the air too much for Indoor FF, except possibly an Indoor/Outdoor  robust Peanut or some such... , and I don't think security would be as tolerant these days...)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
It just so happens that I have a copy of that issue of "Air Trails".    That "Minnow" is on the cover, and that is one of my favorite covers.   Great old stuff...hard to beat it!!

This is a superb drawing/painting of course, but I could not find any credit for it inside the issue, and as you can see, the lower, left corner of the cover is missing.  The bronze and cream color scheme that Keith mentioned would make a spectacular CL model.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

Attached is a poor quality photo that I took at the nats many years ago...this model made the cover of one model magazine...can't remember which one...too many pain pills, I guess?
What an attractive model...that has ruled my Minnow Mind for years.
opps! If I had just read the entire post. LL~ LL~ n~ n~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here