News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piper J3  (Read 1713 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Piper J3
« on: June 05, 2019, 06:07:56 AM »
Hello guys, hereīs my first attemp at serious scale C/L, model is aimed for Brazilian Scale Nationals later this year
as i into short time (with other stunt projects going on at the same time) choose the simple Great Planes J-3 Kit. Turns out that i have got some great 3 views and plans and decided to upgrade the kit to accurate outline, then found myself changing most of the internal structures as well to achieve closer to scale look. One wing panel is done and as you can see in the original kit wing (internet picture) the new wing is closer to scale. I have added all semi-ribs, scale sized cap strips, moved the main spar behind the center fuse glass ( to actually add glass there) and changed the 1/2 x 1/2 spruce longerons for balsa 1/4x1/4, changed wingtip to scale contour and bended hardwood half round, deleted all the extra sheeting on the trailing edge and changed flap simple V hinge line to the rounded original format. itīs a long way to go, but i am confident will finish in time. will be a 3 line job and powered by ASP 52 4T. Any advice is gladly welcome

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Piper J3
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
... and decided to upgrade the kit to accurate outline, then found myself changing most of the internal structures as well to achieve closer to scale look ...

This is why I scratch build.

Keep posting pictures!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
Fred,

The Cub!

What a great aircraft to model.

All these years in GA and I have no Cub time.

But I do have scale graphics!

Just in case.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:22:04 PM »
This is why I scratch build.

Keep posting pictures!
first goal was "ok, letīs get it simple, just build pretty a simple kit and have fun at the nats". Devil came in and my idea was left behind...
will post soon, thank you!

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Fred,

The Cub!

What a great aircraft to model.

All these years in GA and I have no Cub time.

But I do have scale graphics!

Just in case.
Hello Charles, how are you doing?
yep, this one will be a nice challenge! got the Graphics? i would have to document the very same plane for them, do you have the real plane info? regards from Brazil

Tom Vieira

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
very cool!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
I have been flying my 80" span Great Planes ARF cub now for over 20 years. It's had glow, then electric and now back to glow power, and it's flown with floats from the Roseburg Oregon float pond when they had that at the NW Regionals..  They fly SLOW! Put functional ailerons on the model so you can dial in aileron roll on windy days. I have servos on my mine for the ailerons so I can move the ailerons to any position and they stay in that location is you use the right type of servo.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
Hello Charles, how are you doing?
yep, this one will be a nice challenge! got the Graphics? i would have to document the very same plane for them, do you have the real plane info? regards from Brazil

Fred,

I do not.

The modeler who built that Cub just ordered graphics.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 03:12:25 PM »
Most every airport has one sitting around...………

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here