News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warbird Canopy Frame. Mig-3  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Warbird Canopy Frame. Mig-3
« on: April 11, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »
Even though the Mig-3 is semi-scale and then some, I'm still having fun doing some detailing. Simple stuff.

This frame was made when the canopy was made. Same as the canopy, except all white. I drew the frame lines and removed everything but the frame. Presto Remco!

Yea, yea, I could have simply masked the canopy and painted the frame.

Finally got the thing trimmed and painted olive green. It's now in place and with the help of some Dr. Good, I'll smooth it into the fuselage. I'll just tape the canopy side.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Warbird Canopy Frame. Mig-3
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
Charles:

I like the method of pulling a second canopy and removing all the clear area, leaving only the frame work. It leaves a more crisp and believable frame than just taping and painting. I have done both in the past. What tool did you use to remove the clear from the frame work? I found it difficult to prevent damaging the fragile frame.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Warbird Canopy Frame. Mig-3
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
Charles:

I like the method of pulling a second canopy and removing all the clear area, leaving only the frame work. It leaves a more crisp and believable frame than just taping and painting. I have done both in the past. What tool did you use to remove the clear from the frame work? I found it difficult to prevent damaging the fragile frame.

Jim Fruit

Jim,

Thanks for stopping in and taking a peek. It's an honor.

I really enjoy sharing ideas about scale details and how they can be accomplished. I wish there was more interest in scale and semi-scale.

I mention above that the frame is ABS. I say ABS, but it's really white sheet styrene. Not sure if they are the same?

Anyway, the white styrene can take a bit of abuse. I've made these before and always do them the same way.

I know some R/C guys that make them this way also. However, many use that sticky back aluminum foil that is available, forgot what it's called.

So, here's the secrete, Use a roll of paper towels to place the styrene on when cutting. You can simply press and shape the paper towel roll. You use the edge. Keep changing #11 blades often. Start thick on the frame structure, then go back and thin it down.

If you stop over at CFC Graphics, where the Mig-3 build is, you will see the frame chubby. I mention thinning it down and have photos of both. I think.

Jim, please stop in a bit more often.

You know I'm always open for ideas,

Thanks again, it's appreciated.

Jim,

I took these two photos just to clear up what I sad about using the "edge." "Edge" wasn't the best word. I should have said the end?

Anyway. Here's a quick mock up of what I do. The paper towels are shaped as that of the canopy.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:42:41 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here